Jump to content
Kajjo

Arya analysis and predictions

Recommended Posts

Arya refused Gendry's proposals and without any farewells left Winterfell. She also tells the Hound she does not intend to return to Winterfell at all. 

Gendry just rushed the proposal and lost. After knowing her for so long he still didn't understand her. She has never been a lady, she never wanted to be and she won't. That was predictable and very well fits to Arya's character arc. She stay true to herself. At least that they did right in the show. Gendry should have known that sex or adventures would be possible with her but not she being Lady of Storm's End at his side. That's not her. 

Do you see any future for Arya and Gendry? Is it over entirely? All the shippers were so happy and now they are so disappointed. They should have known, though. Arya is no marriage or romance material.

Why does Arya not WANT to return to Winterfell? No "the pack survives" anymore? No anchor in life at all? Sansa and Arya still seem to work together. So what does Arya plan for her future? Why never again Winterfell? Does she expect to die or does she have plans for her future? West if Westeros?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe she's going to protect Jon.. Maybe she and Sansa discussed it. We never saw what happens when Brans tell them about Jon's heritage... Both Sansa and Arya love Jon... And Arya is the only one of them that could take care of him if someone try to kill him (No luck for northerns in the Capital)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, Kajjo said:

Arya refused Gendry's proposals and without any farewells left Winterfell. She also tells the Hound she does not intend to return to Winterfell at all. 

Gendry just rushed the proposal and lost. After knowing her for so long he still didn't understand her. She has never been a lady, she never wanted to be and she won't. That was predictable and very well fits to Arya's character arc. She stay true to herself. At least that they did right in the show. Gendry should have known that sex or adventures would be possible with her but not she being Lady of Storm's End at his side. That's not her. 

Do you see any future for Arya and Gendry? Is it over entirely? All the shippers were so happy and now they are so disappointed. They should have known, though. Arya is no marriage or romance material.

Why does Arya not WANT to return to Winterfell? No "the pack survives" anymore? No anchor in life at all? Sansa and Arya still seem to work together. So what does Arya plan for her future? Why never again Winterfell? Does she expect to die or does she have plans for her future? West if Westeros?

Everything is possible in this trainwreck of a show, but if by any miracle they kept true to Arya's characterization from the books she's simply too detached to become a lady of any kind or doing the things expected from a lady in westerosi society. Arya is a Faceless (although one who at least partially refuses their philosophy) and Faceless take lives, they don't bring them into the world (there's a quote in the books about this, and women being rarely well suited to become Faceless because they can give birth). A lady in Westeros is expected first and foremost to give her Lord husband a progeny to continue the family line... which is THE OPPOSITE of what Arya wants and has been made clear since the moment she was first introduced.

Edited by elanmorin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hated when he called her a lady. That just....no....that's bad writing and ignoring something that way a large part of their relationship over the years. 

I feel bad for Gendry - he ends up like his father, with a realm he doesn't want, missing his Stark girl, and probably will be married to a woman he doesn't love. Seems a shitty way to go for his character. 

As for Arya, she just saddens me at this point. I never thought she'd lost her humanity until she said she wasn't going to go back to Winterfell. That's just messed up.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, anjulibai said:

I hated when he called her a lady. That just....no....that's bad writing and ignoring something that way a large part of their relationship over the years. 

I feel bad for Gendry - he ends up like his father, with a realm he doesn't want, missing his Stark girl, and probably will be married to a woman he doesn't love. Seems a shitty way to go for his character. 

As for Arya, she just saddens me at this point. I never thought she'd lost her humanity until she said she wasn't going to go back to Winterfell. That's just messed up.  

I hope Gendry gets over it quick. In the end it was just a booty call. He'll have plenty of future suitors.

Arya is either still blood thirsty or wants to die. You would think the traumatic long night would have knocked some sense into her about what death really means. Even the Hound had that moment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@tallTale, Robert Baratheon had plenty of booty call, and he didn't get over it. :( 

I was thinking the Long Night would have changed Arya, too, but she's still set on her list, more than she's set on her family. I hope something changes by the end of the season, but I don't think it will. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kajjo said:

Gendry just rushed the proposal and lost. After knowing her for so long he still didn't understand her.

He knew her as a little girl. It hasn't quite sunk in that she turned into a stone-cold killer after they parted ways.

Bit of a nonsense how Hound and Arya, and Bronn, and Jamie are all heading off down the same road pretty much at the same time.

Hound's off to kill his brother, Arya to kill Cercei, Jamie to be at Cercei's side and hopefully kill Popeye.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, House Cambodia said:

Jamie to be at Cercei's side

I still not sure whether he will be on her side or against her.

2 minutes ago, House Cambodia said:

He knew her as a little girl. It hasn't quite sunk in that she turned into a stone-cold killer after they parted ways.

He saw her scars, they had sex, she told him again and again not to call her lady. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ayra has to compete her list for her arc to be complete.  She may get killed in the process with Daenerys burning her and The Hound in the process.  I keep waiting for a Faceless Man to show up and kill her because she stole too many deaths from the Faceless God.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, TheFirstofHerName said:

Ayra has to compete her list for her arc to be complete.  She may get killed in the process with Daenerys burning her and The Hound in the process.  I keep waiting for a Faceless Man to show up and kill her because she stole too many deaths from the Faceless God.

I mentioned the Faceless Men in an Arya thread from the last episode. Didn't she leave them under some bad circumstances? Wouldn't they be actively looking for her?

I know, I'm crazy if I'm expecting continuity from this show. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whatever business she has in the South, she doesn't expect to survive it, or, if she does, she wants to make sure Jon takes and keeps the throne, which will preclude her from staying or returning to the North.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Ser Sinister said:

I mentioned the Faceless Men in an Arya thread from the last episode. Didn't she leave them under some bad circumstances? Wouldn't they be actively looking for her?

I know, I'm crazy if I'm expecting continuity from this show. 

I need to go back and watch those last scenes with Jaqen  Hghar again.  I don’t know if she really became a Faceless Man after killing the waif ( like it was part of her training) or if they will come after her.  I once read a leak that said the actors who play the waif and Jaqen  were spotted on the set in Seville so it does make me wonder. Could be there just to watch.  Hard to believe they would just let her be a free agent unless they consider her Azor Ahai.  It does puzzle me.

Edited by TheFirstofHerName

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, anjulibai said:

Jaqen H'ghar let her go, so no bad terms. They aren't coming for her.

But he isn’t the Many Faced God.  There are some loose ends to this story but I doubt we will get any answers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I took Arya saying she didn't intend to return to Winterfell as anticipation of dying doing whatever it is she intends to do in King's Landing, not an expression of disinterest in her family or not wanting to go back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, TheFirstofHerName said:

I need to go back and watch those last scenes with Jaqen  Hghar again.  I don’t know if she really became a Faceless Man after killing the waif ( like it was part of her training) or if they will come after her.  

I don't think so. She leaves on good terms, and when she tells Jaqen - "A girl is Arya Stark of Winterfell, and she is going home" - he smiles at her, almost as if he's saying, your work here is done, now go and help protect your family.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Either she wants to go off adventuring once she's concluded her business in KL (she is wild now, like Nymeria). Or she does not anticipate surviving whatever assassination plot she is cooking up.

I definitely do not see a future for Gendry and Arya. I actually think that whole romance subplot was completely unnecessary. They could have just stayed friends and the story would have progressed the same (I feel the same about the Jaime/Brienne romantic nonsense).

In regards to Arya possibly dying in KL - there is a lot of speculation that Jon will kill Dany. But I don't think he would do this simply to save the people of KL. I think she would have to harm someone he loves in order for him to be driven to kill her, so perhaps Arya will be killed as a result of Dany's actions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, a girl knows nothing said:

I definitely do not see a future for Gendry and Arya. I actually think that whole romance subplot was completely unnecessary. They could have just stayed friends and the story would have progressed the same (I feel the same about the Jaime/Brienne romantic nonsense).

Pure fan-fiction.
Very expensive fan-fiction, but still fan-fiction. 

Still, far from one of the worst offenders this episode/season.

Edited by MinscS2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Arya's story has three outcomes.

 

Outcome 1:

She dies in King's Landing after failing or completing her assassination of Cersei.

 

Outcome 2:

She survives King's Landing and goes traveling (What's west of Westeros).

 

Outcome 3:

She survives King's Landing and becomes the Lady of Storm's End.

 

I prefer Outcome 3 for Arya personally. I want her to make her own family and I think she'd do a decent job helping Gendry rule the Stormlands. Plus I'd like Ned and Robert's wish of joining their houses through marriage to come true. 

 

I do think Outcome 2 is more likely though considering how Arya loves to adventure. Also using her faceless man abilities, she could go anywhere and do anything she wanted.

 

I would need a while to recover if Outcome 1 occurred. It would be the Red Wedding all over again for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×