The Last Dragon

I also had some questions about the dragons.

But first things first: I believe the era of GoT is the final burst of magic in Westeros before it fizzles out forever. And then those sceptical Maesters have won at last. No more CotF, no more NK and WW, no Dragons and I guess necromancer Qyburn will go to. So if dragons continue I believe it's in Essos.

I do wonder what the significance was of having 3 dragons. The theory that Tyrion would be a dragonrider didn't exactly pan out. At least Jon was one but he had a very short stint of a few days, what did he get out of that? It heightens the drama but it didn't give me the impression Jon was a big help being on Rhaegal, the dragon can do things fine as he showed in the past.

From an "economic" standpoint the advantage has been used very inefficiently. Or perhaps it's because using dragons has a learning curve? With all those books and stories I would think that Daenerys would have been reading up on dragons instead of brooding...

12 minutes ago, Squall said:

I also had some questions about the dragons.

But first things first: I believe the era of GoT is the final burst of magic in Westeros before it fizzles out forever. And then those sceptical Maesters have won at last. No more CotF, no more NK and WW, no Dragons and I guess necromancer Qyburn will go to. So if dragons continue I believe it's in Essos.

I do wonder what the significance was of having 3 dragons. The theory that Tyrion would be a dragonrider didn't exactly pan out. At least Jon was one but he had a very short stint of a few days, what did he get out of that? It heightens the drama but it didn't give me the impression Jon was a big help being on Rhaegal, the dragon can do things fine as he showed in the past.

From an "economic" standpoint the advantage has been used very inefficiently. Or perhaps it's because using dragons has a learning curve? With all those books and stories I would think that Daenerys would have been reading up on dragons instead of brooding...

Daenerys simply isn't a reader. She was given a history of Westeros as a wedding gift in the books and she never once read them. She's wanting to make Daario of all people a dragonrider, not realizing she doesn't get to decide who rides the dragons, nor that only Valyrian blooded people can ride a dragon.

41 minutes ago, longest night said:

Daenerys simply isn't a reader. She was given a history of Westeros as a wedding gift in the books and she never once read them. She's wanting to make Daario of all people a dragonrider, not realizing she doesn't get to decide who rides the dragons, nor that only Valyrian blooded people can ride a dragon.

There was a third Targaryen in in the books that they wrote out for the shows. his first experience with the dragons don't go so well but she also has them locked up in a basement so they're a little pissy when quentyn is around. And he doesn't approach as a friend of Dany. Drogon is 'hers' but they all three recognize respect and return to mom. 

19 minutes ago, Roux said:

There was a third Targaryen in in the books that they wrote out for the shows. his first experience with the dragons don't go so well but she also has them locked up in a basement so they're a little pissy when quentyn is around. And he doesn't approach as a friend of Dany. Drogon is 'hers' but they all three recognize respect and return to mom. 

Qentyn? He wasn't Targaryen, he has some Targaryen blood, and things were actually go fine until the soldiers freaked out.

2 minutes ago, longest night said:

Qentyn? He wasn't Targaryen, he has some Targaryen blood, and things were actually go fine until the soldiers freaked out.

Aegon!!! Sorry, quentyn on the brain, talking Dorne elsewhere. I think I'm crossing them in my head too. I'm reading the books a second time but slower. But still. fAegon could've been Viseryons rider was my point. Just a wait and see til the book comes out (holding out hope) 

1 hour ago, longest night said:

As soon as she mentions 'dragonriding' Daario loses his composure and becomes Daario Nahardpenis.

2 hours ago, longest night said:

I can never ignore people forgetting Nettles.

5 minutes ago, mankytoes said:

I can never ignore people forgetting Nettles.

No one knew who* she came from, plus they think that she used some kind of dark magic if she wasn't a Targaryen. the only reason gendry knew his dad was Robert was cuz the Hands went looking for him and his story unfolded. She could have been a bastard of anyone. 

And what if the number of dragons equals the number of people with dragon-riding gift?

I am really digging into books trying to figure out why the dragons had gone extinct and why have they returned. No clue so far.

Dunk and Egg will have all the answers?

21 minutes ago, TwiceBorn said:

And what if the number of dragons equals the number of people with dragon-riding gift?

I am really digging into books trying to figure out why the dragons had gone extinct and why have they returned. No clue so far.

Dunk and Egg will have all the answers?

In Fire and Blood three eggs were stolen, sailed off to Essos never to be redeemed or avenged. They turn to Stone. they come back to life once they reach the hands of a Targaryen, she's compelled to keep them warm and take care of them. they're given the chance to hatch on the Pyre. as soon as I read fire and blood I assumed these were the three eggs that become Viseryon Rhaegal and Drogon. Stolen from their riders mother by her lover, to be reunited with her great-great-great-granddaughter or niece or great cousin fourth removed or something 250 years later.  

5 hours ago, tallTale said:

Do you think this is the end of dragons in Westeros or did Drogon and Rhaegal leave a clutch of eggs somewhere?

To answer this, I'd say it's the end. The show spin offs are going prequels so even if there is a nest of eggs there is no reason for them to show it to us.  IIRC they said that magic died out with the dragons? In a book or on the show? Ep 1 had walkers in it alive so they were already back. Then we saw red priestesses and dragons and magic, the red comet etc. Maybe the one side came back to balance out the other? Since the NK was defeated/killed this time, maybe dragons and magic will die out forever?

On 5/7/2019 at 12:11 AM, longest night said:

Nettles was a bastard from Driftmark, which is where House Velaryon is, whom are Valyrians.

What do you think her narrative purpose is? She's specifically described as common, brown and not attractive, the implication is clearly that she isn't a Valyrian. 

It seems clear to me the point of the character is to show that this idea that the Targs have magic blood isn't true. Which makes sense- in real life, monarchies effectively claimed magic blood, and obviously that wasn't true. GRRM isn't a monarchist. 

If Nettles is supposed to have Varlyrian ancestry, the only reason I can think of her inclusion is to be a massive red herring. But I'm struggling to think why that would be necessary. 

She's a mockery of the absurdity of aristocracy. They all thought they needed these people with magic blood, she just fed it some sheep and showed some balls. 

On 5/6/2019 at 9:39 PM, Squall said:

"The Dragon must have three heads" Its almost a Targ profecy?myth. Rhaegar was obsessed with this and believed he had to have three children, he had two with Elia Martell but she couldn't have anymore, then he met Lyanna and had his third child. Three dragons kinda make the reader think theres three Targs somewhere. This is still a strong story thread in the books but the show seems to have abandonned this idea after the TV series over took the books.  

On 5/6/2019 at 11:07 PM, Roux said:

Aegon!!! Sorry, quentyn on the brain, talking Dorne elsewhere. I think I'm crossing them in my head too. I'm reading the books a second time but slower. But still. fAegon could've been Viseryons rider was my point. Just a wait and see til the book comes out (holding out hope) 

I think this too (with the books).. in George RR Martins "Fire and Blood" it states very clearly that the dragons can NOT cross over the wall, theres magic in the wall which prevents the Others from escaping but it also prevents the dragons from crossing the wall too. So the whole sucide squad mission last year would be unlikely to happen in the books, because Danny wouldnt be able to rescue them, so the Night King (who doesn't exist in the books) would never get Viserion. In the books there is refences to the existance of Ice dragons and giant ice spiders, so i think the show just twisted the story to benefit itself.

The dragons are as good as gone. Season 8 is showing us there isn't any room for magic and lore in this version of the story. But what do I know? Maybe the final scene will be Drogon tearing through the Red Keep a la the T Rex from Jurassic Park...

Archived