What was the endinf you always pictured in your head, no matter what?

Mine is the following:

1. No mad Queen Dany. Always a popular theory, but never beileved despite the show clearly going there. Her father and brother were mad, and there is already a mad queen. Cersei. Dragon plant no trees to mee is Daenerys Targaryen being a conqueror akin to Aegon I , who wasn't caracterised as an evil amd king despite him burning a lot of Westeros.

2. Dany dies. Love her character but for me she is always going to die. Always thought it would be by fire and sacrifice in the war against the Other, a paralel to her Unburt miracle. Obviously it didn't happen, she probably dies a villain in westerosi eyes.

3. Daenerys and Jon have a child. The book have hinted this numeorus ocasions, the last being her miscarriage. The show went out of their way to bring it up last season. I don't think is gonna happen in 2 episodes left. They probably erased this storyline for time constraints. I'm still 100% sure it will happen in the books.

4. Jon ends up being a reluctant king. It appears so it will happen in the show, the scheming is leading there. Jon is always intrusted with great responsibilities despite great personal cost.

5. The realm never finds out R+L=J . Only the closest circle will know the truth. Jon will be king as regent to Jonerys' child.

6. Jon is the prince that was promised, he is vital defeating the Others, with Daenerys sacrifice, see point 2. How it will happen honestly Idk there is no Nk in thee book, so one on one combat doesn't make sense. But no Arya Stark, thats for sure.

7. As for Arya, love her character aa well, but I also see her dying. She is to broken, and would probably gladly give her life when she returns to Westeros finding put her family is still living. It aint gonna happen in the show and probably the books since she is both D&D and GRRMs wife favorite character.

8. Jaime is the valonqar. I thought it is delicious ly twisted that the younger brother is the twincest lover born seconds later than Cercei. Always pictured him dying together, as in came and went ofd this world hand by hand. Jaime is my favorite character and the show has done him so poorly in the later season. I don't want than ending at all, but it seems it 'll happen. It will heartbreaking for a lot of Brienne fans such as me, especially after him saying to wanting to die in the arms of the woman he loves and that being Cersei, after giving Brienne his sword/heart, knighting her and sleeping with her.

9. Sansa survives, after bringing down LF. Kinda already happened her. But her character right know is so unSansa, Idk, don't like her anymore.

10. Tyrion? A big question. In the books he has transformed in a hateful man, in the show we dont really see the. Inner conflict of kiling his father and Shae, despite his betrayal. Never have I thought of an adequate ending for him or bought into a theory. Can't wait to see what's gonna happen.

11. Bran. A lot of magic, lore, winterfell secrets and the 3EC/3Er went out of the window inthe show. I was sure he would warg a drafon.

That's it . Those are my broad strokes to asoiaf ending, after numerous years of reading the books and watching the show and making my conclusions. I see where the show is heading and it is really heart breaking after 8 years of being in love with these character and this strange world. If the show and books have the same ending albeit by different roads I can imagine the suffering of people who have been fans for two decades. I know it just a book and a tv series but for us constant readers it has been a great part of our minds and hearts.

The Others are gone. The dragons are gone. Magic drains from Planetos. With noble houses decimated in the wars, Westeros gets united under the reluctant, but strong King Jon Snow who establishes an enlightened absolutist monarchy, dragging Westeros kicking and screaming into the future.

But that would make too much sense :D 

I havent really put the time into crafting an ending as you have but am really hoping to eventually get GRRMs version and that it is vastly different from the show.  I almost has to be due to all the dropped storylines.

I am really concerned about how they are going to end this. Im hoping for resolution but afraid of a cliffhanger or Sopranos type close.  I just hope they dont have an ancient Sam telling the story to a new group of participants or Leaves blowing across an ancient graveyard with all characters long dead.  Worse would be a dream Bran has after being pushed out of the tower and laying dying.  (Sorry if you have heard any of these before)

Random thoughts:

Dany is now down to one dragon.  When it dies, so does she.

Bron kills Cersei with the family crossbow.

Arya shows up to defeat Euron.

Brienne follows Jaimie and saves him.

How does Sandor kill his brother who is already dead?  Both perish.

Jon rules but makes Tyrion his hand and retires to the north and abdicates leaving Tyrion the Iron Throne.

Sansa rules the North while Arya just fades into oblivion of her own choosing.

To me, the whole point of the books was that humans worry too much about inconsequential things, like sitting on an uncomfortable chair, vs the real threat. The Others in the north. To me, the ending was supposed to be the humans (except for whoever sits on the IT, I think it's F/Aegon) band together and kill the Others but suffer major loss, things never being the same. Then, just like LOTR, when they head back home they realize an evil or bad person sits on the throne and they have to dispose of that person, but it's an afterthought as far as narrative goes (just like the shire). Things are different and will never be the same, etc.

As far as specific characters. I thought Dany going mad always made sense in the books, so I see that. But I think it's a much slower, gradual process. I thought of her story that she is always trying to chase her fate/destiny, and unfortunately it leads to places she doesn't like, being like her father.

Jon, I really don't know what happens to him. I assume he is AA and kills the Others. There isn't much point for him.

Arya was always to find family and a place to belong. To be an outcast and either find a new family or realize her old family is who she should be with.

Sansa, I think to basically grow up is her story.

Tyrion I am not positive of. I could see his story going in so many directions. He is going a dark place and maybe that influences Dany? I am not positive.

Bran was always the biggest wild card. I know he has to be important in the books, like really important, but I just don't fully understand how. I assumed he would be essential in defeating the Others but not sure how. Definitely whargs a dragon though.

Jamie is the ultimate redemption arc and in the end slays whatever king/queen is on the throne for the good of the realm. Whether the realm knows that it was for their benefit or not, I don't know.

6 hours ago, Runaway Penguin said:

The Others are gone. The dragons are gone. Magic drains from Planetos. With noble houses decimated in the wars, Westeros gets united under the reluctant, but strong King Jon Snow who establishes an enlightened absolutist monarchy, dragging Westeros kicking and screaming into the future.

But that would make too much sense :D 

Magic being gone is another thing I'm completely sure will happen in the books. The very last scene I always see in my head ia an epilogue where Ghost dies fallinf asleep beneath a Weirwood tree...

2 hours ago, btfu806 said:

To me, the whole point of the books was that humans worry too much about inconsequential things, like sitting on an uncomfortable chair, vs the real threat. The Others in the north. To me, the ending was supposed to be the humans (except for whoever sits on the IT, I think it's F/Aegon) band together and kill the Others but suffer major loss, things never being the same. Then, just like LOTR, when they head back home they realize an evil or bad person sits on the throne and they have to dispose of that person, but it's an afterthought as far as narrative goes (just like the shire). Things are different and will never be the same, etc.

This is very well put. I really hope it goes like this.

I never liked Daenerys, I'm affraid. She always felt too imature, too temperamental, too radical. So, I was disgusted when Jon Snow fell for her, and it only made sense if he was meant to kill her in the end. Either he lives or dies it's the same, he will never be king. I guess it wil be the Gendry boy who ends up there, guided by Tyrion if GRRM alows Westeros some peace in the end. 

Above all, we would have a greater understanding of the White Walkers, how the NK worked and why they only decided to attack now. Goes hand in hand with letting Bran do some fooking magic for Pete's sake! I seriously thought it was GOING SOMEWHERE.

12 hours ago, AlaerysTargaryen said:

Magic being gone is another thing I'm completely sure will happen in the books. The very last scene I always see in my head ia an epilogue where Ghost dies fallinf asleep beneath a Weirwood tree...

This is probably a silly question since I've seen many fans say direwolves have to die for magic to be gone, but what is magical about direwolves?  I always saw them as big wolves, something prehistoric like, but not magical. I think they only seem magical due to the Starks being waged, but that then means all animals are magicso since all can be warged. I imagine magic ending once the dragons die, but I never imagined the direwolves dying out too.

My ending would be Jaime killing Cersei before she burns KL. FAegon gets the throne. Dany arrives in Westeros we get Dance 2 and she wins. Everyone has to unite to fight the AotD. Maybe someone steals the thone in Dany's absence? Dany dies a hero, Jon survives, finds out R+L=J but only tells a those closest to him.

The end of the long night leaves the 7K wanting to have their independance from one another and seeing the IT as bad. Each great house rules there own region, I imagine some would have strong alliances and others wouldn't.

2 hours ago, north of the wall said:

This is probably a silly question since I've seen many fans say direwolves have to die for magic to be gone, but what is magical about direwolves?  I always saw them as big wolves, something prehistoric like, but not magical. I think they only seem magical due to the Starks being waged, but that then means all animals are magicso since all can be warged. I imagine magic ending once the dragons die, but I never imagined the direwolves dying out too.

There are ,any theori3w that I cant rmember well but in the book a cotf tells bran that the direwolves will be gone to.   

giants are almost gone as well, they who were our bane and our brothers. The great lions of the western hills have been slain, the unicorns are all but gone, the mammoths down to a few hundred. The direwolves will outlast us all, but their time will come as well. In the world that men have made, there is no room for them, or us." BRAN III ADWD. 

i think they are magical beasts and there must be a reason they were sent to the Stark children

3 hours ago, AlaerysTargaryen said:

There are ,any theori3w that I cant rmember well but in the book a cotf tells bran that the direwolves will be gone to.   

giants are almost gone as well, they who were our bane and our brothers. The great lions of the western hills have been slain, the unicorns are all but gone, the mammoths down to a few hundred. The direwolves will outlast us all, but their time will come as well. In the world that men have made, there is no room for them, or us." BRAN III ADWD. 

i think they are magical beasts and there must be a reason they were sent to the Stark children

I guess that makes sense, though from what we've seen so far direwolves, mammoths and giants don't appear magical, just prehistoric to me. I wonder about the unicorns, but again I kinda fail to see magic in what we know so far. I think I'd just rather they be right because I like the direwolves but don't care about dragons. Hahaha. I'll just have to suck it up and be disappointed if everyone (including the cotf) are correct :(

First Aegon or whoever sits on the Iron Throne will probably get ousted, all the petty fighting and politics needs to end first. Winter comes south simultaneasly. A united front fights against the Others. Jon and Dany both die fighting successfully against them. After the Others are defeated/pushed back, the survivors have to live in a war torn and ravaged Westeros where things will never be the same, but with a hope for spring to come. I think magic/magical beings will recede from the world but not necessarily at the conclusion of the series....maybe gradually after it. 

I feel that, regarding the throne, the situation will probably resemble the one post-Dance of the Dragons, althoug it won't become a focal point of the story after the war like on the show.

The one character I am 90% sure will survive is Sansa, the rest I don't know. And of course I hope the last chapter belongs to Bran.

The ending I pictured in my head is pretty much what I'm getting but it was a big picture I pictured that the WWs being dealt with well before the end and "game of thrones" to be the last events, before aftermath. The other way around would have been too fantasy cliche. Ofc how they dealt with WWs in the show was not satisfactory but I'm still surprised by the reaction on the interwebz; somehow most everybody was expecting the WW war to be the last and disappointed that it wasn't, despite GRRM's repeated comments on how he dislikes "everyone gathered vs the great evil, & win & roll credits" scenario. Which is pretty much what happened in the show tho, 'cept not everyone gathered.

I always thought the White Walkers and their Wight armies would break through the Wall, win the battles at Winterfell and at King's Landing, wiping Cersei, and that the last survivors would face and defeat them in an epic battle either at the God's Eye in the Riverlands, Oldtown or even Starfall in the Mountains of Dorne... The few remaining people would still have to face a long winter and start rebuilding afterwards, all wars stopping simply because there are no longer people to fight them, or thrones to conquer...

But of course, that won't happen, at least not in the TV series (maybe in the books, if they are ever completed...). I think that, in the TV series, Cersei, Jamie, Dany and Drogon will die. Varys, who will be responsible in some way for Dany's demise, will try to crown Jon king of the Seven Kingdoms, but Jon will says "f*ck to that" and return to the North, leaving the sourthern kingdoms to tear each other to pieces while Varys watches, unable to do anything...

I think Tyrion may take Casterly Rock, and Sansa may take the Riverlands, taking her cousin Sweetrobin as a protegee (de facto conquering the Vale, at least for a time...). Not sure about Gendry; he would need some serious help in order to conquer Storm's End, but D&D don't care about logic, so he may miraculously raise a loyal army and take it...

Wars will keep raging on... Hightower may try to conquer the Reach, Dorne attack the Reach and/or Storm's End, Yara attack the Riverlands and the Westerlands for plunder, Gendry's new vassals rebel against him because he is a bastard of dubious parentage; the Vale lords rising against Sansa because she keeps their liege her prisioner, and the Western lords against Tyrion because he is a kinslaying kingslaying traitorous dwarf....etc.

The Wildlings start raiding the North again for food, and Jon has to fight against Tormund... The Night Watch is refounded...

And the end is: War never ends, and the realm is ravaged because of the conspirators of greedy, ambitious people and the schemes of utilitarian dreamers...

14 minutes ago, Ser Lepus said:

I always thought the White Walkers and their Wight armies would break through the Wall, win the battles at Winterfell and at King's Landing, wiping Cersei, and that the last survivors would face and defeat them in an epic battle either at the God's Eye in the Riverlands, Oldtown or even Starfall in the Mountains of Dorne... The few remaining people would still have to face a long winter and start rebuilding afterwards, all wars stopping simply because there are no longer people to fight them, or thrones to conquer...

That's the cliche I was talking about, were it to happen it would have rendered every war, power plays, politics, "the game", every significant character deaths etc. meaningless. basically all the books up until "the great war"...yeah no thanks :D

Just now, Quillon said:

That's the cliche I was talking about, were it to happen it would have rendered every war, power plays, politics, "the game", every significant character deaths etc. meaningless. basically all the books up until "the great war"...yeah no thanks :D

Exactly. They are meaningless... everybody was too busy greedily squabbling for power to bother trying to stop the real threat...

Archived