What was the endinf you always pictured in your head, no matter what?

I'm a fan of fully completeing story arcs even if they are obvious. You don't invest in years of series/books just to throw a twist in because it makes things more surprising, that's shit writing imo.

So if I was onna end it I'd probably go the route of these bulletpoints:

Jon defeats the WWs by sacrificing Dany
Jon ends up on the throne, not wanting it but being there by demand of the people. Very bittersweet in that its basically the ultimate ending for most but he doesn't want it.
Arya ends Cersei, I think shes the best person to do it, much of her path resulted from Cerseis from the butchers boy to Ned to Hound, Trant and her outlawed path to the Faceless Men. She has her list, Cersei is on it. That's her big win, the queenslayer.
Jaime turning on Cersei doesn't necessarily mean he has to kill her and its unlikely he would/could kill his twin sister. he doesn't have to support her though and maybes Jaimes big win is slaying Euron. though we have to consider book Euron and show Euron are different and could have very different paths so based on show only.
I'd have had a Ghost v Summer showdown in the battle of winterfell where Nymeria and her pack makes the save.
Sansa ends up as ruler of Winterfell.
Bran - I have no idea what Id do with Bran because his character seems so pointless. Maybes I would have had his warging mean something, its an easy plot devise to find out about Jon but it should mean more than that.
Hound v Mountain - id defo do Cleganebowl, be tempted to have Mountain win as I don't think evry good guy should get a happy ending. i'd end the Mountain still though.
I would have done the battle for the throne before the battle of the Others, that to me has more at stake and should be the ultimate battle, the battle for the throne seems an anti-climax now.

55 minutes ago, chatty83 said:

I'm a fan of fully completeing story arcs even if they are obvious. You don't invest in years of series/books just to throw a twist in because it makes things more surprising, that's shit writing imo.

GRRM agrees with you.

I don't really care who is King/Queen in the end, but I always thought a cool "final scene" would be a few months after the major events to end the primary storyline.

1. Dany dies during those events and Drogon flies away.  We see someone pull up to the shores of old Valeria, with its smoking and ruined landscape. This person could've been Arya, but I think she wants to go "West of Westeros". Anyway, they walk s little ways before seeing 3 nests of dragon eggs with 3 eggs each. Then you hear a roar and look up to see Drogon flying with 3 adolescent dragons behind. Mini flashback/montage scenes showing season 4 Drogon laying 3 eggs while he was gone, then those eggs hatching into 3 dragons. Then those 3 dragons laying 3 eggs...

2. We see Bran with blue stretching up his right arm and then his eyes turning blue. Night King reborn!

Boom mankind is screwed from the north and the East!

For me, if there is a happy ending:

* Dany and Jon would join forces against the Others and Cercei.

* After finding out about Jon's lineage and how capable  he is, Dany would leave the Iron Throne and go back east and rule the East - like the old valayrian lords did.

* Some westerosi would rule westeros (Jon, Tyrion, Sansa ...)

Non happy ending

* The Others are defeated, but at some serious cost. They reach the south before they are ;defeated' by the humans

* Both Jon and Dany die

* Bran would change into something else

But without knowing more about who the Others are and what their motivations are, there is not much to be speculated.

1 hour ago, the tower of albion said:

If the books are heading in the direction the show is Jon doesn't go into exile alone he will have Val. That would be my hope I don't think I would want to complete reading a book series that ended as miserably as the show is unmistakenly hinting.

Why not? It makes for an ending and it already was pretty tragic. It might be a bit cringeworthy to have a cheesy pay-off.

Having suffered ep. 5 I now have a new dream concerning the finale next week:

Jon executes "The Mad Queen" by stabbing a dragonglass dagger into her heart. In a camera close-up, we watch her eyes turn blue. Jon looks haunted, undead Dany stares at him. Then she begins to smile and rises. Still staring in his eyes, terrifyingly. The audience, the Starks, Bronn, Sam, Davos, Gendry, begin to shout in awe and wonder. At last Dany stands in front of Jon, still smiling. Jon gasps. 

And then the blue-eyed-Dany slowly rises both her arms. And all the dead characters and soldiers and people that were murdered by D&D in eps4 and 5 and even Rhaegal slowly come to life again. And they stare into the camera and they move slowly forward, bloodlust in their eyes.

Sorry. Could´t help it.

I didn't have an end point in mind because I was enjoying the ride so much. If I had to pick the things I was fairly certain about, it would be R+L=J, but not that he would be king. Dany or Jon dies (probably as a sacrifice against the Others}, and Jaime killing Cersei, not in anger, but as a parallel to the mad king situation or as a mercy killing. I'd prepared myself that he would always love her, but I'd hoped that he would pull himself away from that toxic relationship. So far, that's the one that's taken the biggest hit from the show. It's not that I can't see the show ending for them happening, it's just that I needed time to set that up. In the books, Jaime has just burned her letter, after all. Hard to shake so many years of that impression just because D&D say so.

Arya walking through a crowded narrow street.  A street urchin runs up to her and hands her something. Camera pans up and back to show her unwrapping it as people push by and jostle her.  POV shot of her open hand holding an iron coin on a piece of parchment with a name.  Camera turns up to reveal sunlight pouring through the demolished west gate of the city.  Fade into golden light and windblown dust.  The end.

I never fleshed out the details in my head, but I had more or less assumed that Dany and Jon would rule the 7 kingdoms but just about every other main character would die getting them there.

As we got closer to this point, I started to think it would be Jon ruling and Dany dying....which still might be the case but I think they will end on some kind of curveball.

On 5/7/2019 at 12:26 AM, AlaerysTargaryen said:

Mine is the following:

1. No mad Queen Dany. Always a popular theory, but never beileved despite the show clearly going there. Her father and brother were mad, and there is already a mad queen. Cersei. Dragon plant no trees to mee is Daenerys Targaryen being a conqueror akin to Aegon I , who wasn't caracterised as an evil amd king despite him burning a lot of Westeros.

2. Dany dies. Love her character but for me she is always going to die. Always thought it would be by fire and sacrifice in the war against the Other, a paralel to her Unburt miracle. Obviously it didn't happen, she probably dies a villain in westerosi eyes.

3. Daenerys and Jon have a child. The book have hinted this numeorus ocasions, the last being her miscarriage. The show went out of their way to bring it up last season. I don't think is gonna happen in 2 episodes left. They probably erased this storyline for time constraints. I'm still 100% sure it will happen in the books.

4. Jon ends up being a reluctant king. It appears so it will happen in the show, the scheming is leading there. Jon is always intrusted with great responsibilities despite great personal cost.

5. The realm never finds out R+L=J . Only the closest circle will know the truth. Jon will be king as regent to Jonerys' child.

6. Jon is the prince that was promised, he is vital defeating the Others, with Daenerys sacrifice, see point 2. How it will happen honestly Idk there is no Nk in thee book, so one on one combat doesn't make sense. But no Arya Stark, thats for sure.

7. As for Arya, love her character aa well, but I also see her dying. She is to broken, and would probably gladly give her life when she returns to Westeros finding put her family is still living. It aint gonna happen in the show and probably the books since she is both D&D and GRRMs wife favorite character.

8. Jaime is the valonqar. I thought it is delicious ly twisted that the younger brother is the twincest lover born seconds later than Cercei. Always pictured him dying together, as in came and went ofd this world hand by hand. Jaime is my favorite character and the show has done him so poorly in the later season. I don't want than ending at all, but it seems it 'll happen. It will heartbreaking for a lot of Brienne fans such as me, especially after him saying to wanting to die in the arms of the woman he loves and that being Cersei, after giving Brienne his sword/heart, knighting her and sleeping with her.

9. Sansa survives, after bringing down LF. Kinda already happened her. But her character right know is so unSansa, Idk, don't like her anymore.

10. Tyrion? A big question. In the books he has transformed in a hateful man, in the show we dont really see the. Inner conflict of kiling his father and Shae, despite his betrayal. Never have I thought of an adequate ending for him or bought into a theory. Can't wait to see what's gonna happen.

11. Bran. A lot of magic, lore, winterfell secrets and the 3EC/3Er went out of the window inthe show. I was sure he would warg a drafon.

Mine is very, very similar, right down to never having a convincing feeling about what would happen to Tyrion. Tyrion could finish on the throne, in Casterly Rock, in the gutter, or headless. I did tend to think he would survive but nothing seemed clear after that.

I tend not to believe much in predicting details, but I did have some semi-details for Jon & Daenerys. What I saw was J&D working together to unite the realm and defeat the Lannisters, during the course of which his patrimony would somehow come to light. He doesn't want to be king and she does want to be queen so that's not really a problem (as it shouldn't be on the show--super-easy to work that out, in any of several ways, since they both essentially agree). After defeating Cersei, they go north to fight the dead and Daenerys and Drogon die winning the battle. In her last moments, she begs Jon to take the crown and he does, for her, and the story ends with optimism he will rule well. That's bittersweet because the hero dies, and if that's not bittersweet enough for you then she can take her unborn child with her.

Really, the only other difference is that I saw something bigger coming for Littlefinger. He is something like #4 on my list of most likely candidates to take the throne, and I thought he was either going to actually finish in a high position or else strongly threaten to. I thought he went ridiculously easily in the show: that won't happen in the books.

Never really had any idea what would happen to Bran except I thought it would be critical and Bran would be a major player in the end events. In the show, things would've been a lot cleaner, and really we would've lost a lot of the most boring scenes, if Bran just didn't exist. He has been nothing but a drag and a time-waster on the show.

I agree that Arya is broken--no super Arya antics, she may kill somebody important as a one-off but ultimately she either dies or wanders off alone as a broekn shell--and Jamie is the valonqar. Sansa will probably marry somebody important - maybe Tyrion.

If Dany was going to lose her mind no matter what, I still like the theory of Jorah being Azor Ahai, and killing her. Even now, it'd still make for a great end. The emotional attachment; the performance Iain Glen would give... would be amazing.

The sweet: I always thought that Daenerys would site upon the Iron Throne, reigning as queen for half a century or more. It would be a time of peace, culture, and prosperity throughout Westeros.

The bitter: I thought Daenerys would be emotionally isolated all of her life. No one would really be "her people". The Dothraki, the Unsullied, and the people of Westeros would all be somewhat foreign to her. Further, she would be barren and unwed. She would try to ensure that the time of justice would outlive her, but she would be afraid that upon her death Westeros would be plunged into another war as various rogues and psychopaths fought (yet again) over the Iron Throne.

Archived