Varys burns, Rhaegal returns?

Hippocras

On 5/7/2019 at 10:04 AM, Hippocras said:

As Davos pointed out in E4, it is weird that the Lord of Light just disappeared after all that. So... chances are he didn't or they wouldn't have written a scene with Davos commenting on it. With Melisandre gone I really don't know HOW R'hllor is going to make his comeback in the show, but I am very sure he will.

The prophesy always said that a hero would come to "wake dragons from stone". Melisandre zeroed in on Stannis initially because he was indeed King Robert's true heir AND he was based on Dragonstone. She knew that Dragonstone was important, as a place in her visions, and I don't think it was just because there is dragonglass on Dragonstone.

Added to this the show has also made note of Dany's interest in how Jon was killed and revived. Now, Rhaegal was shot to death with scorpions just off the shore of Dragonstone.

So... what if the comeback of the Lord of Light comes in the form of Rhaegal being revived from the dead just as Jon was, with fire and blood magic. Dany hatched her dragons by burning a witch alive. Maybe she will revive Rhaegal by burning Varys alive.

I think there is as much likelihood of a dragon lying at the bottom of the sea coming back to life, as there is of Varys surviving a Dracarys from Drogon and we find out this way that he’s another secret Targaryen...

... and maybe some eggs he’s been carrying around in that big robe of his then hatch...

I have wondered though.... is there a possibility that there are many more eggs under The Red Keep?
Eggs that will hatch when Kings Landing burns?

All the dragon skeletons were kept there... and we know that under the red keep is a warren of secret passages that were only known to the Targaryans because all the craftsmen and builders who built KL were killed to make sure that no-one who had worked on them could pass that knowledge about them on to anyone.... so they could, presumably, be filled with eggs, and wildfire and no-one know 

... And Dany's eggs came from somewhere... presumably originated from Kings Landing... I can't help wonder if there's a tonne more.

Rhaegal is dead. Deadness. Deadskies. Dead-a-mundo. 

This is a learning experience for Dany. She grew up listening to Viserys spouting well-worn crap about dragons. Crap that he learned listening to other people spout well-worn crap about fire and dragons and targaryens. 

It’s all fable. It’s hyperbole. It’s not true. 

Dragons are nice to have, but they don’t make you invincible, or the anointed ruler of anything, or a superawesomesauce leader. They can be killed, and if you ride them into combat they likely WILL be killed. 

2 hours ago, The_Spanish_Inquisition said:

Dragons are nice to have, but they don’t make you invincible, or the anointed ruler of anything, or a superawesomesauce leader. They can be killed, and if you ride them into combat they likely WILL be killed. 

Well that's true - since less than a week ago. And only because Qyburn gave Team Cersei some turbolasers and cloaking devices to bolt on their ships that already featured jump drives. Let's not pretend it was anything but crappy writing for a shock value.

Rhaegal is quite dead, that we agree on.

33 minutes ago, Dragons 7th Eye said:

Well that's true - since less than a week ago. And only because Qyburn gave Team Cersei some turbolasers and cloaking devices to bolt on their ships that already featured jump drives. Let's not pretend it was anything but crappy writing for a shock value.

Rhaegal is quite dead, that we agree on.

She lost Viserion last season. 

No doubt crappy writing is involved, but GoT dragons aren’t Tolkien dragons, effectively immortal unless their foe happens to be a lesser god. 

They are animals. They can be killed, as Dany has presumably now learned. 

3 hours ago, The_Spanish_Inquisition said:

Rhaegal is dead. Deadness. Deadskies. Dead-a-mundo. 

This is a learning experience for Dany. She grew up listening to Viserys spouting well-worn crap about dragons. Crap that he learned listening to other people spout well-worn crap about fire and dragons and targaryens. 

It’s all fable. It’s hyperbole. It’s not true. 

Yes. Everyone here is aware Rhaegal is dead. If you read the thread including the OP that was never in question. Just as dead as Viserion was before the Night King made him his.

3 minutes ago, Hippocras said:

Yes. Everyone here is aware Rhaegal is dead. If you read the thread including the OP that was never in question. Just as dead as Viserion was before the Night King made him his.

I did read the thread. Rhaegal is dead, and isn’t coming back. He isn’t going to be revived. Permanently dead. 

In my opinion, of course. 

1 hour ago, The_Spanish_Inquisition said:

I did read the thread. Rhaegal is dead, and isn’t coming back. He isn’t going to be revived. Permanently dead. 

In my opinion, of course. 

Well then as you know what this is really about is how the Lord of Light part of the story will reappear and reach conclusion. undead Rhaegal, or some other dragon (full grown) or a shadow baby, or via Qyburn’s fascination with magic and the undead...

2 hours ago, The_Spanish_Inquisition said:

No doubt crappy writing is involved, but GoT dragons aren’t Tolkien dragons, effectively immortal unless their foe happens to be a lesser god. 

That does not change the fact that Aegon and his two sisters managed to conquer Westeros with their three dragons and almost no army. 

I know the GOT dragons are not Tolkien dragons, but the way they were shown in the last episode was just too vulnerable. Dragons became almost totally useless, just because they build some scorpions. 

2 minutes ago, OttoVonBismarck said:

That does not change the fact that Aegon and his two sisters managed to conquer Westeros with their three dragons and almost no army. 

I know the GOT dragons are not Tolkien dragons, but the way they were shown in the last episode was just too vulnerable. Dragons became almost totally useless, just because they build some scorpions. 

not really sure whats wrong with this though. are these scorpians unrealistic in a real world battle sense? probably. i cant imagine theyd have the force to pierce a dragons neck from that distance (but im no expert on the subject, having said that they now have serated edges dont they? making them more potent)

53 minutes ago, paulh_85 said:

not really sure whats wrong with this though. are these scorpians unrealistic in a real world battle sense? probably. i cant imagine theyd have the force to pierce a dragons neck from that distance (but im no expert on the subject, having said that they now have serated edges dont they? making them more potent)

Too much power, too much distance, too much accuracy.

If scorpions like that would be realistic, we would never have developed cannons to place on ships. Those scorpions just blasted other battleships into oblivion. 

No Targaryen would ever ride a dragon with scorpions like that. It would be way too risky for the leader to get killed. Dragons are totally useless with weapons like that. 

I like this idea. Really, anything that unmakes the idiocy of handling Daenerys’s invasion or Cersei’s power is welcome. 

The other theory floating online is that Drogon hatched eggs when he disappeared in season 4 and 5 and some youngling dragons might unleash their fury on Euron. 

Since the dragon cgi is the only enjoyable thing left in this show, I do hope one of these or something similar will indeed happen. 

7 hours ago, The_Spanish_Inquisition said:

She lost Viserion to NK and a magic spear. That is a completely different level than a ballista.

Dragons are not animals, they are beings of magic. Until now they were Tolkien dragons in this setting. Only one had been killed without other dragons and that was a once in a million shot right in the eye. It is not just crappy writing. It is completely unbelievable crappy writing for shock effect. Dragons were damn tough just one week ago.

The ballistas being more accurate than modern anti-air guns and packing the power of naval artillery while having a greater rate of fire - level of bad writing was involved.

3 hours ago, OttoVonBismarck said:

But GoT dragons are based off a ASOIAF dragons, and they're a lot more tougher than the show has suddenly made their dragons.  One dragon in known history was killed by a scorpion previously, and it was due to a million to one shot directly to the eye.  Dany's dragons should be damn near invincible to any contemporary weapon that strikes their scales.  

Hitting a moving target hundreds of yards away from a rocking ship is absurd, much like Arya being stabbed in the abdomen repeatedly, falling into raw sewage, and running like the terminator the next day.

20 hours ago, WalkinDude said:

Now watch as episode 5 starts with the Golden Company hauling Rhaegal out of the sea by chains, Qyburn hooking some giant hose up to Rhaegal, before his eyes open again.  Flash to Cersei riding a Qyburn animated Rhaegal.

Ha-ha, that would be crazy. I don't expect that.

The Mountain was not resurrected but saved by Frankenstein-styled medicine by Qyburn becore he the Mountain actually died. He was beyond being able to be saved by traditional medicine, but not yet dead. Rhaegal is supposedly just dead.

54 minutes ago, WalkinDude said:

But GoT dragons are based off a ASOIAF dragons, and they're a lot more tougher than the show has suddenly made their dragons.  One dragon in known history was killed by a scorpion previously, and it was due to a million to one shot directly to the eye.  Dany's dragons should be damn near invincible to any contemporary weapon that strikes their scales.  

Hitting a moving target hundreds of yards away from a rocking ship is absurd, much like Arya being stabbed in the abdomen repeatedly, falling into raw sewage, and running like the terminator the next day.

Yes, that was my point. 

On 5/7/2019 at 6:04 AM, Hippocras said:

As Davos pointed out in E4, it is weird that the Lord of Light just disappeared after all that. So... chances are he didn't or they wouldn't have written a scene with Davos commenting on it. With Melisandre gone I really don't know HOW R'hllor is going to make his comeback in the show, but I am very sure he will.

The prophesy always said that a hero would come to "wake dragons from stone". Melisandre zeroed in on Stannis initially because he was indeed King Robert's true heir AND he was based on Dragonstone. She knew that Dragonstone was important, as a place in her visions, and I don't think it was just because there is dragonglass on Dragonstone.

Added to this the show has also made note of Dany's interest in how Jon was killed and revived. Now, Rhaegal was shot to death with scorpions just off the shore of Dragonstone.

So... what if the comeback of the Lord of Light comes in the form of Rhaegal being revived from the dead just as Jon was, with fire and blood magic. Dany hatched her dragons by burning a witch alive. Maybe she will revive Rhaegal by burning Varys alive.

The hero who wakes dragons from stone sounds like Daenerys herself, hatching her 3 dragons from fossilised eggs. And don't think there are any more dragons in the show, and I don't believe Rhaegal will be ressurected. It seems that Dany's fate is to lose her 3 dragons, or just to keep Drogon if she does not die in the end.

Do anyone know why Melissandra (Red Woman) left Westeros last season. Seems like she had something inportant to do, she said to Varys that she was leaving but would return, as she had to die on this island. I know its a slim chance but the followers of the Red god turning up doesnt seem that too far removed. I'd love it if Rhaegal washed up on Dragonstone beach and they could bring him back. but as optimistic and hopeful this sounds i very much doubt it would happen.

As for Melissandra travelling to Esso, I do think there could be something happening behind the scenes, its anyones guess what it is tho :) 

15 hours ago, Figdoni said:

I have wondered though.... is there a possibility that there are many more eggs under The Red Keep?
Eggs that will hatch when Kings Landing burns?

All the dragon skeletons were kept there... and we know that under the red keep is a warren of secret passages that were only known to the Targaryans because all the craftsmen and builders who built KL were killed to make sure that no-one who had worked on them could pass that knowledge about them on to anyone.... so they could, presumably, be filled with eggs, and wildfire and no-one know 

... And Dany's eggs came from somewhere... presumably originated from Kings Landing... I can't help wonder if there's a tonne more.

The eggs were given to Dany by Illyrio, who mentioned they were "from the shadow lands beyond Asshai".

However, I remember reading a thread that mentioned it was Varys who handled the eggs to Illyrio, after stealling them from Dragonstone... These are all speculations.

Archived