Why the Pyres?

22 hours ago, Nerevanin said:

I don't have a problem with them burning the bodies, I mean they know now what can happen with dead bodies, so they might want to burn them just in case. And also as it was already pointed out, it's easier than burying them.

But to me it seemed like a big waste of wood to build so many pyres. Aren't they still in a middle of a winter? Or do they hope that the winter goes away now that the NK is gone?

The North has plenty of forests and doesn't seem to suffer from over-harvesting of trees.  Plus its for the honor of the fallen.  I doubt trees were wasted on the AotD.

24 minutes ago, Tywin Tytosson said:

This.  :agree:.

You have at least 20,000 Dothraki plus their horses, half the Knights of the Vale, 4,000 Unsullied, half the northern troops (4-5,000?), 20 or so Ironborn, unknown number of civilians, and at least 150,000 (and probably more) corpses that had previously been wights

Good point!

13 hours ago, dbunting said:

Same. Keep the wood as fuel and use the instant torch dragons.

Why do people want to torch dragons?  Hmm... Well, I don't.   I do want to see Cersei torched by a dragon.

22 minutes ago, Tywin Tytosson said:

The North has plenty of forests and doesn't seem to suffer from over-harvesting of trees.  Plus its for the honor of the fallen.  I doubt trees were wasted on the AotD.

It could mean, or I thought it meant, that the NK, WW, and the wights were finished, hence milder winters when they came, and no real threat.

The wall is open now, and everyone is free.

What is dead can never rise again and it looks cool. They did not thing it could happen before for thousands of years so it is a good new tradition.

Time considerations are of no consequence for DD, after all that, how long to clear the corpses, fix winterfell and  the wounded, take care of a very large dragon, etc.

And then insta-travel to kingslanding as convenient.

Where the fuck where the vale heavy cavalry during the fight?! 

We need every man! Then the dead win and enter winterfell but somehow half survive. The north really has few people left. Tell me at least you put the children and most women further south.

It wasn't just the dead from their armies either, there were something like 100,000 dead bodies from the army they were fighting too who just dropped to the ground when the NK was defeated.

That was a massive amount of bodies to get rid of. You're talking natural disaster on a massive scale type of dead bodies. It should have taken them weeks to clear up that mess, i doubt they'd have been given the luxury of having bodies sitting around waiting to burn in nice orderly pyres only after they cleared the whole lot up.

12 hours ago, Dragonslack said:

We need every man! Then the dead win and enter winterfell but somehow half survive. The north really has few people left. Tell me at least you put the children and most women further south.

The knights of the vale fought on foot on the left flank.  you can see them directly behind Brienne, Jamie, and Pod.

This was one of the tactics that actually made sense (dismounted knights/men-at-arms fighting on foot).

I'll credit Bronze Yon.   :)   He knew more than I thought! :bowdown:

The way I see the AotD fight playing out is that the dead are basically easy for a trained warrior to kill. All they have is numbers. Most of them wouldn't be much good fighting when they are alive and they are worse now.

They are also moving to the NK's command. So basically, the AotD move through all the Dothraki and Vale lines trying to get to Winterfell. They kill large numbers on the way but not everyone and some escape by making it through their lines 

23 hours ago, Dragonslack said:

What is dead can never rise again and it looks cool. They did not thing it could happen before for thousands of years so it is a good new tradition.

Hi, with due respect you're quoting the drowned God "What is dead may never die"   The NK, WWs. and wights were sleeping for 8k years. 

Time considerations are of no consequence for DD, after all that, how long to clear the corpses, fix winterfell and  the wounded, take care of a very large dragon, etc.

And then insta-travel to kingslanding as convenient.

I think that D&D do take some time considerations.  The corpses were the better part of a day, for example.  I questioned the need for the pyres, but now that no one can come back as a wight anymore, it is sparing the freezing ground.

The Lords/Ladies of the Vale seem to concern themselves with their own affairs.  Technically, they should have saved LF since he was found innocent, but then did not at his later trial.

There is no heavy cavalry.  You can note the post above that enormous amounts of Unsullied, Dothraki, and now TWO dragons are dead.

In my opinion, given Missandei 's word, Dany will tortch KL. 

On 5/8/2019 at 7:42 AM, Tywin Tytosson said:

I'll go with they used wood pyres for the Living that died in the battle, and let the dragons torch the wights.

I see this as a solution. I think Dany is hiding Drogon.  At least, I hope she is... 

On 5/8/2019 at 8:07 AM, LadyNoOne said:

Why do people want to torch dragons?  Hmm... Well, I don't.   I do want to see Cersei torched by a dragon.

I didn't say torch the dragons, I said use the dragons and save the wood

On 5/8/2019 at 10:05 PM, hallam said:

The way I see the AotD fight playing out is that the dead are basically easy for a trained warrior to kill. All they have is numbers. Most of them wouldn't be much good fighting when they are alive and they are worse now.

They are also moving to the NK's command. So basically, the AotD move through all the Dothraki and Vale lines trying to get to Winterfell. They kill large numbers on the way but not everyone and some escape by making it through their lines 

We'll have to assume that the wights don't outright kill every living human they attack.  Wound 'em or knock them down and move on.

Some (most) of the Living would be wearing armor and would not be easy to straight-out kill.

On 5/9/2019 at 8:02 AM, LadyNoOne said:

There is no heavy cavalry.  You can note the post above that enormous amounts of Unsullied, Dothraki, and now TWO dragons are dead.

The heavy cavalry dismounted and fought on foot, as is best when fighting a defensive battle.

12 minutes ago, The_Spanish_Inquisition said:

They didn’t have much of what we would consider heavy cavalry. The Dothraki are light cavalry, and Jorah was the only Westerosi knight who rode with them. 

There was heavy cavalry, but correct - there was not a great number of it.  2,000 at most (if that)?  Much smaller numbers than the Dothraki.  Did Sansa call out the numbers in S7 at some point?

In the BotB the Knights of the Vale rode down the Bolton infantry.  Most of those knights stayed at Winterfell afterwards,  I thought.

The Knights of the Vale fought dismounted in the front ranks of the left flank (or the "Left Battle"), under Brienne's command. 

Just now, Tywin Tytosson said:

There was heavy cavalry, but correct - there was not a great number of it.  2,000 at most (if that)?  Much smaller numbers than the Dothraki.  Did Sansa call out the numbers in S7 at some point?

In the BotB the Knights of the Vale rode down the Bolton infantry.  Most of those knights stayed at Winterfell afterwards,  I thought.

The Knights of the Vale fought dismounted in the front ranks of the left flank, under Brienne's command. 

I totally missed anyone calling out any numbers of anything, so you’re probably right. 

Dismounted fighters aren’t heavy cavalry, so the Vale fighters don’t count. You have to be mounted to be cavalry. 

Archived