Kings Landing Revolt Theory

Tyrion1991

I think Dany is going to start a revolt in Kings Landing. 

In episode 4 they remind us about the riots in season 2 and ostensibly this IS the plan. But only after a long and protracted siege. So it is possible in the minds of the characters and we are reminded of this precedent.

Tyrion also tells us that Cersei’s people hate her and that she hates them. Reminding us about her Walk of Shame and all the bad things she has done to the city.

Seemingly contradicting this, she has invited a massive crowd of thousands into the Red Keep, her inner sanctum, to use as human shields. Qyburn contradicts Tyrion by saying this has won them over. Which implies their loyalty is something at stake.

What do large crowds of civilians remind us of? Well, when Dany talks to Jon she mentions how people in Essos used to look at her as a hero but not on this side of the sea in Westeros. Which puts us in mind of all the myhsa moments in Yunkai and Mereen. Where Dany could shout loudly and proclaim herself a liberator and people would follow her. So the setup is suspicious. That courtyard looked real big all of a sudden if somebody wanted to land there.

But of course, these human shields are at the heart of the moral dilemma. Is Dany a monster like Cersei who would kill the people of Kings Landing or is she here to liberate them from a tyrant. Missandei’s words do mean dragon fire, but, that phrase is synonymous with those slave revolts and we even have Cersei remind us about Danys breaker of chains motif.

So I think they are going to troll us. Dany is in a dark place but is going to decide to roll the dice and try to convince her people to turn on Cersei. So we think she’s going to burn the crowd but instead she lands in the Red Keep, they see that Cersei has lied to them and Dany isn’t this horrible monster here to kill them. Cersei’s human shields suddenly become a several thousand strong angry mob that sweeps through the Red Keep. Cersei’s army is at the walls a mile away.

The ballista would be able to shoot her coming down. But they are all aimed up and are set on the ramparts in preparation for a fire bombing. They aren’t set up to shoot down into the courtyard of the Red Keep. So the risk to Dany would be taking incoming fire on the way down.

3 minutes ago, Euron III Greyjoy said:

I could see something like that happening. I would be really disappointed if they went the "Mad Queen Daenerys" route, since to me at least it would feel forced. 

Unfortunately I think the idea of having each Lannister brother kill a "mad" monarch to spare the smallfolk of KL will be too much for D & D to resist.

36 minutes ago, A Time for Starks said:

Interesting theory.  It would be an interesting twist if some of Dany's men slip into King's Landing to arm the regular civilians (similar to how they slipped into Mereen to arm the slaves).  They should have plenty of arms leftover from all their recently dead soldiers.

Yeah. I mean we are going to have Jamie, Arya and the Hound in the city. That would give us a chance to get a point of view inside the walls and what the mood of the street is.

I also forgot how Davos told the Iron Bank about how they shouldn’t be on the side of “a Queen whose people despise her”. 

I just love the idea of this being one of Cersei’s AFFC schemes that she thinks are amazing but backfire. She’s brought an angry mob into the Red Keep. :D

3 minutes ago, Tyrion1991 said:

I just love the idea of this being one of Cersei’s AFFC schemes that she thinks are amazing but backfire. She’s brought an angry mob into the Red Keep. :D

The more I think about this, the more I like this as a possibility.  It would be poetic justice for Cersei to lose this way.  She never cared about the average person, and in addition are using them as human shields to protect herself.  On the flipside, Tyrion and Dany are going to great lengths to save the people of King's Landing. 

2 hours ago, Euron III Greyjoy said:

I could see something like that happening. I would be really disappointed if they went the "Mad Queen Daenerys" route, since to me at least it would feel forced. 

:agree: I guess it made too much sense to have to heroes come together to rule in a GRRM story.

1 hour ago, A Time for Starks said:

Interesting theory.  It would be an interesting twist if some of Dany's men slip into King's Landing to arm the regular civilians (similar to how they slipped into Mereen to arm the slaves).  They should have plenty of arms leftover from all their recently dead soldiers.

I like this also, I was thinking about how in season 2 Varys shows Tyrion the 50 miles of tunnels in KL and that this might be on a 'previously on' portion just prior to S8 E5 and be a 'key to the castle'

I think it very likely that there is a people's revolt. It is exactly the sort of twist GRRM would make. The key is that Cersei makes the worst mistakes. Every decision she makes turns out to be a blunder. She invited the people in so it will turn out to be a mistake.

Cleganebowl is on and I think they will take out the Mountain but the Hound will be killed and Arya captured. Would not surprise me to see Danny captured as well as a result of Varys betraying her.

Then Arya tells everyone that Jon is Prince Euron... the people turn on Cersei...

Something like that.

1 hour ago, A man has no name said:

I like this also, I was thinking about how in season 2 Varys shows Tyrion the 50 miles of tunnels in KL and that this might be on a 'previously on' portion just prior to S8 E5 and be a 'key to the castle'

The same tunnels Arya used to escape in S1. Her way in.

7 hours ago, Targaryen Peas said:

I like this theory the best, but it is too "sweet" I guess. Unless Danny ends up somehow mad even after that revolt. Which would validate the leaks, that are kind of inevitable now. 

Depends. For example Drogon could get shot up on the way down. 

This whole season has basically been a big “Does Dany deserve to sit the Iron Throne?” With every character doubting her. I think the answer being “no because shes cray cray let’s kill her” would be an unfulfilling way to conclude her journey. Plus, don’t DnD like Dany and know she’s a fan favourite? The first six seasons she’s depicted as a saviour and we have Varys and Sansa doubting that?

I don’t think that the show is that cynical and dark so Iam remaining optimistic. Because I think it would go down like a stone otherwise.

15 hours ago, Tyrion1991 said:

Depends. For example Drogon could get shot up on the way down. 

This whole season has basically been a big “Does Dany deserve to sit the Iron Throne?” With every character doubting her. I think the answer being “no because shes cray cray let’s kill her” would be an unfulfilling way to conclude her journey. Plus, don’t DnD like Dany and know she’s a fan favourite? The first six seasons she’s depicted as a saviour and we have Varys and Sansa doubting that?

I don’t think that the show is that cynical and dark so Iam remaining optimistic. Because I think it would go down like a stone otherwise.

I wish you were right! But I can only see two outcomes, either D&D are playing with us since ep1 only to twist the end and make it incredibly good. Or they are stuck in a kind of "unexpected" turn of events, and then they won't really care about fan favorite or no sales. Because I bet that they won't sell a single bluray after that shit. 

I am thinking that a revolt and a fire might well be involved.

The execution of Missandrei suggests to me that some very important people are going to get captured by Cersei in this episode.

Lets say it is Arya. The people might be afraid of the dragon queen but killing the woman who killed the Night King when her brother is sitting outside with his girl friend who has a bloody big dragon?

The other thing that I think might just come up is that Varys might decide to drop the fact that John is Aegon Targarean through his spy network. That might be how he betrays Danny.

21 hours ago, hallam said:

I am thinking that a revolt and a fire might well be involved.

The execution of Missandrei suggests to me that some very important people are going to get captured by Cersei in this episode.

Lets say it is Arya. The people might be afraid of the dragon queen but killing the woman who killed the Night King when her brother is sitting outside with his girl friend who has a bloody big dragon?

The people in KL would not know Arya killed the NK.  They would probably not have heard of the NK, or have been propagandized to just write him off as a Northern superstition.

21 hours ago, hallam said:

The other thing that I think might just come up is that Varys might decide to drop the fact that John is Aegon Targarean through his spy network. That might be how he betrays Danny.

This might happen.

2 minutes ago, Tywin Tytosson said:

The people in KL would not know Arya killed the NK.  They would probably not have heard of the NK, or have been propagandized to just write him off as a Northern superstition.

The people would not but the gold company might well know.

Though I kinda suspect the gold company end up being fried.

Archived