Books vs Show: How much difference?

2 hours ago, Mihai Brasoveanu said:

This! I find it funny how many people complain of the quality of the writing in the TV Show, ignoring that AFFC is a terrible piece of literature and ADWD is only marginally better.

It is what it is, it ended how it ended. Not every show gets a Sopranos finale. 

AFFC is my favorite book of ASOIAF, i very much disagree with you, and the quentyn chapters in ADWD are one of the best in terms of theme and development.

8 minutes ago, of man and wolf said:

I meant the ending for the characters wasn't bad. But yeah it rushed it and didnt develop the pathway to these endings in a fulfilling manner. Bronn isn't holding any castles by the end of the story. He's not nearly as important.

The ending for the characters wasn't bad?

LOL

Everyone except for Daenerys gets rewarded; everyone (except for Daenerys) gets a happy or a bittersweet enemy.

The Unsullied do nothing, the Dothraki do nothing, Drogon does somethin inexplicable that makes no sense and Daenerys gets a tragic ending. That, in tandem with the failure of the White Walkers "Winter is Coming" plot makes 2/3rds of the story a waste of time.

This is awful.

4 minutes ago, Jabar of House Titan said:

The ending for the characters wasn't bad?

LOL

Everyone except for Daenerys gets rewarded; everyone (except for Daenerys) gets a happy or a bittersweet enemy.

The Unsullied do nothing, the Dothraki do nothing, Drogon does somethin inexplicable that makes no sense and Daenerys gets a tragic ending. That, in tandem with the failure of the White Walkers "Winter is Coming" plot makes 2/3rds of the story a waste of time.

This is awful.

If that's your opinion fine. I've got mine. Never gave a shit about Dany anyway.

15 minutes ago, BlueNightzx said:

AFFC is my favorite book of ASOIAF, i very much disagree with you, and the quentyn chapters in ADWD are one of the best in terms of theme and development.

You'll find you're in the minority

People pretend like books 4 and 5 are awesome now but just a few years back huge chunks of them were relentlessly shat on. Quentyn and Brienne especially.

1 minute ago, Jabar of House Titan said:

Apparently, you also clearly never gave a shit about a good ending to a good story either.

wtf...who are you buddy? I like what I like. I didnt like the way they went about doing some of the things they did. But I'm fine with other parts. I didnt give it a 10. Get off your elitist high horse. 

I take the show for what it is and the books for what they are. I dont get wound up about it. If fiction and fantasy hurts you on an emotional level this bad that you cannot take that other people have differing viewpoints on it, I'd get help. Christ.

4 hours ago, PirateVergo said:

Jon Snow will never have a romantic relationship with Daenerys in the books, I'm convinced of it so I think there'll be a lot of big differences.

an awful lot will disagree on that, even the ones who hates Dany or their pairing thinks it's inevitable.

16 minutes ago, Gendarrion said:

an awful lot will disagree on that, even the ones who hates Dany or their pairing thinks it's inevitable.

Upon hearing how Ser Axell Florent had watched Stannis and his Red Priestress burn his brother Alester, Jon felt disgust towards him for being no better than a kinslayer. Dany did the exact same thing, she watched Viserys burn and did nothing to help him whatsoever.

Books Jon has a much stronger sense of duty than show Jon, she may be the most beautiful woman in the world but there's no way he'll ever love her.

28 minutes ago, of man and wolf said:

wtf...who are you buddy? I like what I like. I didnt like the way they went about doing some of the things they did. But I'm fine with other parts. I didnt give it a 10. Get off your elitist high horse. 

I take the show for what it is and the books for what they are. I dont get wound up about it. If fiction and fantasy hurts you on an emotional level this bad that you cannot take that other people have differing viewpoints on it, I'd get help. Christ.

Then I'd suggest you take your advice and get help then

6 minutes ago, PirateVergo said:

Upon hearing how Ser Axell Florent had watched Stannis and his Red Priestress burn his brother Alester, Jon felt disgust towards him for being no better than a kinslayer. Dany did the exact same thing, she watched Viserys burn and did nothing to help him whatsoever.

Books Jon has a much stronger sense of duty than show Jon, she may be the most beautiful woman in the world but there's no way he'll ever love her.

There was nothing that Daenerys could have done for Viserys

I'm almost absolutely sure that the Daenerys and Jon coupling is going to happen. It might be more one-sided (i.e. Daenerys head over heels in love with Jon but Jon only in it for the armies, the dragons and the sex) than it was in this mostly garbage can of a TV show but I think it's going to be there.

11 minutes ago, PirateVergo said:

Remember that there's a reason why Viserys burn, she's threatening to kill her unborn child(and probably her as well).

I don't think so bro. Jon broke his vow to Ygritte and Jeyne poole, his sense of duty is a bit exaggerated by fans imo, Jon's also attracted to qualities of Val, fierce and independent type of girls who can take care of themselves, Dany is probably one of them. I also don't like the pairing man, but I think it's still inevitable considering they're at the same age, both are MC with both known lovers and a family.

53 minutes ago, azor_ahaiii said:

You'll find you're in the minority

People pretend like books 4 and 5 are awesome now but just a few years back huge chunks of them were relentlessly shat on. Quentyn and Brienne especially.

While aFfC was a bit of a let down, given we waited 5 years for or, aDwD was pretty awesome. The only thing wrong with it is that it was too short. 

10 minutes ago, Relic said:

While aFfC was a bit of a let down, given we waited 5 years for or, aDwD was pretty awesome. The only thing wrong with it is that it was too short. 

Brienne chapters might not be the most interesting since the main point is to show the state of Riverlands, but rest is really good. KL politics, Vale with Littlefinger and Sansa... 

I think that the end will be almost the same:

- Dany becomes mad and dies

- Jon leaves beyond the Wall

- Bran becomes the king and from now onwards kings are elected

- Tyrion becomes the hand

- Sam and Davos are parts of the small council

- Arya leaves the civilization

- Sansa is the future of House Stark

- the North becomes independent

- Gendry is the lord of Stormlands, Edmure is the lord of Riverlands

- Jaime and Cersei probably die but not this way

- Dorne will be different for obvious reasons, the Iron Islands maybe too

24 minutes ago, Nerevanin said:

God no. 

5 hours ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

Brienne's arc felt a lot like wish fulfillment this season--hooking up with Jaime, becoming LC despite being a woman--which leads me to believe that D&D made it up. Perhaps she is killed by Stoneheart. 

I think that Brienne+Jaime will happen in the books too although under difference circumstances. Brienne becoming Kingsguard is a bit of reach though. Not sure about unCat, because iirc it was confirmed by GRRM that Brienne decided to save herself and allegedly go kill Jaime in her last chapter, so unless she returns back to unCat and unCat captures her, not sure if Brienne dies this way.

5 hours ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

Judging by how heavily they were foreshadowing a Daenerys pregnancy last season,

When?

2 hours ago, Nerevanin said:

If George can make Brandon Stark King of six kingdoms without the North in it and make it believable, then that would be truly genius!

14 minutes ago, Ser Hedge said:

If George can make Brandon Stark King of six kingdoms without the North in it and make it believable, then that would be truly genius!

Haha, agree. But I think that it might happen in the books this way. I've always had a feeling that if there is a ruler at the end (aka the undead don't take over the land and no meteorite falls on Westeros), he will not be the king / queen because of blood lines and family ties and stuff but he / she will be elected in a more or less democratic way (like when the NW elects the Lord Commander). The fact that Bran is crippled and can't have children more or less makes sure that the next king will have to be elected as well.

Who thinks Dany goes mad in the books? I for one don't. George who won't even say whether Jon is dead or gravely injured most likely has told the show runners squat. Folks are just jumping to the conclusion that Dany goes mad because the the show runners decision to do that.  Boy are you all going to be surprised in 10 to 15 years when a dream of spring comes out and the actual book finale is a reward for our literary investment.

2 minutes ago, Nerevanin said:

Haha, agree. But I think that it might happen in the books this way. I've always had a feeling that if there is a ruler at the end (aka the undead don't take over the land and no meteorite falls on Westeros), he will not be the king / queen because of blood lines and family ties and stuff but he / she will be elected in a more or less democratic way (like when the NW elects the Lord Commander). The fact that Bran is crippled and can't have children more or less makes sure that the next king will have to be elected as well.

Good point and you put it better than the writers who wrote Tyrion's lines! 

Also, the scene with Jon riding north with the Free Folk may have seemed underwhelming because of all the bad writing that preceded it and it would have been far better if he had done it off his own free will, but that could work very well as a bitter sweet ending. He did help to save the FF from the Others, so watching them go back to their homes is his biggest achievement, and he still has Ghost and friends like Tormund.

If the rest is also going to end the same, well I'm sure George will make it feel much more natural. In a way, I hope the pressure is off him now and ADOS comes out soon after TWOW (and if he needs a A time for Wolves after that, hopefully that didn't take 8 years!), the fans now know that Dany goes down a different arc than what many may have thought and the general end point is kind of set for good now. 

2 minutes ago, the tower of albion said:

Who thinks Dany goes mad in the books?

I do. For GRRM it will make for great writing. We'll get her POVs where she believes herself to be perfectly sane and rational and justifies her deeds, whilst other chapters will give us the POVs of main characters increasingly horrified by her actions. We'll get Tyrion, Jon and others slowly coming round to see her as she is, or becomes. I'm sure GRRM has been absolutely relishing writing those chapters.

Archived