The last of the Stark’s.....

I didn’t really see it mentioned in the forums. With Jon telling about his real parents. The stark name is done. The only chance stark name had in the future was Jon being legitimized. That’s kinda of a big deal if there must always be a stark in winterfell. Wonder if that has any importance on having to kill the night king when they did? 

There is precedent, at least in legends, for Stark daughters to pass on the Stark name to their sons in the absence of other male heirs.  Ditto House Lannister, I believe.  Let's wait and see which (hopefully all, including Jon) Starks survive.

I've always thought that Sansa will be the one who will ensure the future of House Stark. As for the name, I suppose that she'll marry someone and keeps the name, so her children will be Starks. I believe there was a precendent for it but I don't remember it. Or she can do it like the Mormont ladies in the books - she'll never marry and she'll say that her children were fathered by a wolf. ;)

2 hours ago, Nerevanin said:

I've always thought that Sansa will be the one who will ensure the future of House Stark. As for the name, I suppose that she'll marry someone and keeps the name, so her children will be Starks. I believe there was a precendent for it but I don't remember it. Or she can do it like the Mormont ladies in the books - she'll never marry and she'll say that her children were fathered by a wolf. ;)

The story of Bael the Bard. Bael has a son with the daughter/only heir of Lord Stark. The daughter's son becomes the next Lord Stark. 

Iirc GRRM said that in Westeros a man marrying a woman of a house that has a more famous name than his can choose to take her name and banner if the lady has no male relatives that could carry on her house's name.
And also if a woman has no male relatives to carry on her house's name and the husband chooses to keep his own, then the lady's second son can choose to take her maiden name, banner and titles.

So the Starks are far from done. Of course all of that is only stated in the books, where things make sense and have consequences.

3 minutes ago, Orphalesion said:

Iirc GRRM said that in Westeros a man marrying a woman of a house that has a more famous name than his can choose to take her name and banner if the lady has no male relatives that could carry on her house's name.
And also if a woman has no male relatives to carry on her house's name and the husband chooses to keep his own, then the lady's second son can choose to take her maiden name, banner and titles.

So the Starks are far from done. Of course all of that is only stated in the books, where things make sense and have consequences.

Makes sense. Lord/Lady Stark is basically a title and a family name. 

22 minutes ago, Erkan12 said:

Yeah, as they said. It's up to Littlebird Sansa now. 

Or with some kind of twist, Jon gets legitimized as a Stark.

If he continue to hid his ID as Aegon then he should be legitimized. Dany could have done it when She legitimized Gendry. She could have made him Lord of one of the empty castles and Jon Stark. She didn't. 

16 minutes ago, King Jon Snow Stark said:

If he continue to hid his ID as Aegon then he should be legitimized. Dany could have done it when She legitimized Gendry. She could have made him Lord of one of the empty castles and Jon Stark. She didn't. 

I guess she can't make this choice for him. He needed to take this decision and tell her. 

11 hours ago, SixFeetUnder said:

With Jon telling about his real parents. The stark name is done.

Stark daughter can have children with the Stark name. They can propagate without marrying or with deciding for the Stark name as family name. 

Sansa and Arya are possible fertile. The bloodline is not finished.

By the way, Jon Snow is half Targaryan, half Stark. Sansa is half Stark and half Tully. All person are half-half. It's all about the bloodline not about the name.

1 minute ago, Nightwish said:

I guess she can't make this choice for him. He needed to take this decision and tell her. 

True. I think there are a lot solutions to their problem. 

4 minutes ago, Kajjo said:

Stark daughter can have children with the Stark name. They can propagate without marrying or with deciding for the Stark name as family name. 

Sansa and Arya are possible fertile. The bloodline is not finished.

By the way, Jon Snow is half Targaryan, half Stark. Sansa is half Stark and half Tully. All person are half-half. It's all about the bloodline not about the name.

Same with Dany. She could marry a low level Lord or war hero bastard son of lord and if she can get pregnant have new Targ.

7 minutes ago, Kajjo said:

And Lady Sandra's a Bolton...

Just now, King Jon Snow Stark said:

True. I think there are a lot solutions to their problem. 

Same with Dany. She could marry a low level Lord or war hero bastard son of lord and if she can get pregnant have new Targ.

Was it declared she can get pregnant on show?

Noble males marrying into a family and taking that name is incredibly common in Earth's history so I don't see why it'd matter in Westeros, what's important is the bloodline. A legitimate son of Sansa or Arya could take the name Stark and no one would bat an eye as long as you have the blood claim to it. 

Archived