Bittersweet

Jon and Dany marrying would already be bittersweet, think of all of the characters and people who have died. Even if not one new character died it would still be bittersweet considering all of the characters and non-character who have died previously. 

Jon and Dany marrying a delivering a safe and prosperous Westeros. after defeating the NK, would be the sweetest ending this story could have.  Nothing at all bitter about it.

Death of characters in and of itself does not make something bittersweet. 300 is a tragic victory, not bittersweet, and they all die.

The reason LotRs is considered bittersweet is because the Hobbits inadvertently sacrifice their home (via the taming of the shire) to win. They save the world of men and the creatures of magic retire into the West. It is not just the death of characters, it is the sacrifice of ideals and goals for a greater good or that another goal succeeds.

If you and I have a swordfight and we kill each other, it's tragic. If the story is from your perspective and I kill you its tragic. If you kill me its victory. If you learn I have a family to feed and let me win its bittersweet, or if killing me changes you so fundamentally that you can never swordfight again, it is also bittersweet.

28 minutes ago, ummester said:

Jon and Dany marrying a delivering a safe and prosperous Westeros. after defeating the NK, would be the sweetest ending this story could have.  Nothing at all bitter about it.

Death of characters in and of itself does not make something bittersweet. 300 is a tragic victory, not bittersweet, and they all die.

The reason LotRs is considered bittersweet is because the Hobbits inadvertently sacrifice their home (via the taming of the shire) to win. They save the world of men and the creatures of magic retire into the West. It is not just the death of characters, it is the sacrifice of ideals and goals for a greater good or that another goal succeeds.

If you and I have a swordfight and we kill each other, it's tragic. If the story is from your perspective and I kill you its tragic. If you kill me its victory. If you learn I have a family to feed and let me win its bittersweet, or if killing me changes you so fundamentally that you can never swordfight again, it is also bittersweet.

Jon and Danny could marry and it would still be bittersweet if they couldn t have children, or if some dragons/ghost died, Jon's relation to the north and starks was for ever changed, a bunch of main characters died to achieve that end.. 

Their marriage 8s only a part of the final like aragon's was... 

1 hour ago, Sir Hedge of Hog said:

it aint gonna be be bittersweet - it gonna be tragic. jon will pull a kingslayer and kill dany if the spoilers are correct.

I will be happy with jon/dany marriage and your version

The powers-that-be may come down on you for bringing up spoilers in theory/discussion threads like this one.  At least use spolier tags? 

Just trying to help - doesn't bother me but eventually you'll perhaps get some grief.

They kind of killed Rhaegal before anyone in KL could see Jon ride him, which could be a bitch for him trying to convince doubters he's a Targ, right?

1 hour ago, divica said:

Jon and Danny could marry and it would still be bittersweet if they couldn t have children, or if some dragons/ghost died, Jon's relation to the north and starks was for ever changed, a bunch of main characters died to achieve that end.. 

Their marriage 8s only a part of the final like aragon's was... 

Only if it was explicitly required as a plot goal that they have children. Even then, it may lean more towards tragedy than bittersweet.

George told us the ending would be bittersweet and even referenced LOTR and Tolkien with that bittersweet ending. However, I think George is confused about what bittersweet means, like Michael Scott, as this series is definitely heading towards a 90% bitter ending with a touch of sweet mixed in.

I don't think the show will have a bittersweet ending. To be honest, I've already accepted the fact that the show is probably going to have some stupid ending that doesn't really make sense, followed by some kind of behind the scenes video where I have to listen to Dumb & Dumber be like, "LOL, LOL, LOL, SuBvErTeD eXpEcTaTiOnS!" 

5 minutes ago, Euron III Greyjoy said:

I don't think the show will have a bittersweet ending. To be honest, I've already accepted the fact that the show is probably going to have some stupid ending that doesn't really make sense, followed by some kind of behind the scenes video where I have to listen to Dumb & Dumber be like, "LOL, LOL, LOL, SuBvErTeD eXpEcTaTiOnS!" 

"RETCON FTW, bitches!"

Archived