Escalators... what’s the deal?

If you are in an airport and have large carryons... keep right and let people pass.  If you have nothing... why are you just standing there?

Really, they move to speed travel as we walk if you don’t have a ton of baggage why just stand and impede others who are trying to move?

Discuss.

2 minutes ago, Maltaran said:

Because standing on an escalator is easier than walking up stairs. Yes, I’m lazy.

Fine.  What I really don’t understand are people standing shoulder to shoulder so that those of us who do want to walk cannot do so?  Is there any justification for impeding others?

44 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Fine.  What I really don’t understand are people standing shoulder to shoulder so that those of us who do want to walk cannot do so?  Is there any justification for impeding others?

Not just escalators but stairs too. I am one of those people who do stairs 2 at a time and hate getting stuck behind a group doing one at a time.

19 minutes ago, sologdin said:

if you wanna just move, stay off the human-meat conveyers and just walk?

i have a colleague who settled a stuck-on-an-escalator [sic] case for a five-figure sum. plaintiff work at its finest. 

A “stuck on an escalator case”?  You’ve got to be kidding?  How was this person “stuck on an escalator”?

1 hour ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

If you are in an airport and have large carryons... keep right and let people pass.  If you have nothing... why are you just standing there?

Really, they move to speed travel as we walk if you don’t have a ton of baggage why just stand and impede others who are trying to move?

Discuss.

Because it's presidential. And who doesn't dream of being POTUS (well, I don't but that undermines my point).

Discuss.

Wait, are you seriously trying to walk past people on an escalator? You’re a savage, Scot.

To me it seems your beef should be with moving walkways. People who block those up are irredeemable jerks.

5 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Wait, are you seriously trying to walk past people on an escalator? You’re a savage, Scot.

To me it seems your beef should be with moving walkways. People who block those up are irredeemable jerks.

An escalator is a moving walkway.   It just moves people up or down.  :)

1 minute ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I have never had anyone try and pass me on an escalator, and I would be especially offended if someone tried in an airport. You disgust me more than standing wipers!!!  

Why limit this thread to escalators?  I'm irritated with people who just stand in the middle of a sidewalk and stare at their phone. I'm irritated by groups of people who stand in the middle of the sidewalk and just chat.  I'm irritated by people who stand in front of and block revolving doors and building entrances.  I'm irritated by people who get on subways and buses and just stand inside the doors instead of moving further inside.  In all instances, don't block entrances, move to the side, and let others pass.  

13 minutes ago, lady narcissa said:

Why limit this thread to escalators?  I'm irritated with people who just stand in the middle of a sidewalk and stare at their phone. I'm irritated by groups of people who stand in the middle of the sidewalk and just chat.  I'm irritated by people who stand in front of and block revolving doors and building entrances.  I'm irritated by people who get on subways and buses and just stand inside the doors instead of moving further inside.  In all instances, don't block entrances, move to the side, and let others pass.  

Indeed.

49 minutes ago, lady narcissa said:

Let’s take it even further. My major pet peeve is when people lack spatial awareness. Can I just condemn all these people to burn in hell for an eternity? Or at the very least be occasionally allowed to slap one of these fools?

57 minutes ago, Inkdaub said:

Moving walkways are fun to walk on but escalators are not. 

Scot,  you are truly not a Hobbit if you think an escalator is the same as a moving walkway (other than direction).

I don't need mountaineering equipment to traverse a stationary / broken moving walkway.  I do however try to stand to one side and let the big legged people pass.

9 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Let’s take it even further. My major pet peeve is when people lack spatial awareness. Can I just condemn all these people to burn in hell for an eternity? Or at the very least be occasionally allowed to slap one of these fools?

Oh absolutely!  But I tend to 'accidentally' wack them with my bag/backpack/suitcase as I squeeze past them.  It's best to never look back as they start shouting at you in outrage, however, as that makes them even angrier.

ETA: Not looking back makes them angrier.

Archived