Escalators... what’s the deal?

39 minutes ago, lady narcissa said:

Oh absolutely!  But I tend to 'accidentally' wack them with my bag/backpack/suitcase as I squeeze past them.  It's best to never look back as they start shouting at you in outrage, however, as that makes them even angrier.

ETA: Not looking back makes them angrier.

Since you’re an American, I’m sure you’re well aware of how kids in school like to form circles in the middle of hallways. As my grade’s running back, I always took it as a personal responsibility to knock into those idiots as hard as I F’ing could.

I'm with Scot on this, as are most residents of the DC area. If you stand on the left side of the escalators, you're getting run over. The metro system even has occasional PA reminders about it (or at least, they used to, I haven't ridden the metro much in a few years now). 

The right side is for standing and riding, the left side is for walking (hopefully briskly).

condemn all these people to burn in hell for an eternity? Or at the very least be occasionally allowed to slap one of these fools?

it is also likely that violent or disproportionate responses to antisocial behavior is similarly lumpenized antisocial nihilism.

we need a hedonists' calculus that adds up all of the aggregated social harm that accrues from threshold/thoroughfare obstructors, coffee condiment bar loiterers, parking violators, crosswalk malfeasors, and persons who commit other trifling affronts that have an effect, however fleeting, on the psychological well-being of another, cause a clock/calendar disruption for another, or necessitate the incurring of even a de minimis cost by another as a result of the affronts aforesaid.  

after these are totaled up, we can compare that sum to the similar sum for school shooters and narcotics traffickers and persons accruing unlawful presence and war criminals and perjurers as well as those adjudicated guilty of sortilege and tergiversatio and laese maiestas.  one wonders which weighs more heavily; the benthamite answer is of course capital punishment for the next escalator obstructor, just to teach everyone else a lesson. 

3 minutes ago, sologdin said:

condemn all these people to burn in hell for an eternity? Or at the very least be occasionally allowed to slap one of these fools?

it is also likely that violent or disproportionate responses to antisocial behavior is similarly lumpenized antisocial nihilism.

we need a hedonists' calculus that adds up all of the aggregated social harm that accrues from threshold/thoroughfare obstructors, coffee condiment bar loiterers, parking violators, crosswalk malfeasors, and persons who commit other trifling affronts that have an effect, however fleeting, on the psychological well-being of another, cause a clock/calendar disruption for another, or necessitate the incurring of even a de minimis cost by another as a result of the affronts aforesaid.  

after these are totaled up, we can compare that sum to the similar sum for school shooters and narcotics traffickers and persons accruing unlawful presence and war criminals and perjurers as well as those adjudicated guilty of sortilege and tergiversatio and laese maiestas.  one wonders which weighs more heavily; the benthamite answer is of course capital punishment for the next escalator obstructor, just to teach everyone else a lesson. 

broken windows; broken windows.

4 hours ago, sologdin said:

How many "naughty points" can we assign to people who habitually don't let people merge onto highways? 

Is beheading taking it a bit too far?

9 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

How many "naughty points" can we assign to people who habitually don't let people merge onto highways? 

About half of what we assign those who try to skip to the head of the line when an interstate is being forced down to one lane.

6 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

About half of what we assign those who try to skip to the head of the line when an interstate is being forced down to one lane.

Can we all at least agree, that the worst offenders of all, are the people at the front of the line who aren't paying attention to the light with a really short turnover time?

17 minutes ago, Datepalm said:

This thread made me think of this book - Free Public Transit and Why We Don't Pay to Ride Elevators. Scott, you'll hate it.

https://books.google.com/books/about/Free_Public_Transit.html?id=Ak6sswEACAAJ

I don’t know that I’d “hate” it.  I was in Kansas City today and it has a free shuttle downtown.  It’s nice and convenient.  Greenville SC also has a free tram on Main Street.  I like them.

And, actually (for the record) I like cheap efficient public transit.  No sense in driving if you don’t have to.

12 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

If you are in an airport and have large carryons... keep right and let people pass.  If you have nothing... why are you just standing there?

Really, they move to speed travel as we walk if you don’t have a ton of baggage why just stand and impede others who are trying to move?

Discuss.

About time we had a scot thread like this.  Dude, this whole OP just sounds like you were going to write a thread about "Why regular staircases that don't move are fucking awesome" but then something happened and you took the negative angle.  

Also, leaving my shopping cart wherever the fuck creates JOBS(!).  

10 hours ago, sologdin said:

yes, the obstruction of thresholds and thoroughfares, as a species of private arrogation of public goods, is the marker of lumpenized antisocial nihilism.

Another post hinting at your clear pro-Cunuroi bias.  Your Siol is showing.

* I actually do return shipping carts, and people clogging areas designed for motion are akin to surface shitters on the backcountry, but also, what MC said.

2 hours ago, A True Kaniggit said:

The worst penalty should be for those who allow those line skippers to merge out of sequence.

If you're going to be so vehement about this subject I'd add that you need to be aware that which side is the "standing" side is a cultural convention, so when you're in another country make sure you look for signage indicating local custom. Otherwise you're the asshole.

59 minutes ago, karaddin said:

If you're going to be so vehement about this subject I'd add that you need to be aware that which side is the "standing" side is a cultural convention, so when you're in another country make sure you look for signage indicating local custom. Otherwise you're the asshole.

How about we agree to leave a lane open for those who want to keep moving?

12 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

How about we agree to leave a lane open for those who want to keep moving?

We are agreeing to that, I'm saying which side that lane is can vary so check when traveling. In Australia you stand on the left and leave the right side for moving. 

Archived