Escalators... what’s the deal?

19 minutes ago, karaddin said:

We are agreeing to that, I'm saying which side that lane is can vary so check when traveling. In Australia you stand on the left and leave the right side for moving. 

That is eminently reasonable.

Now, can we agree it is irritating that restaurants closing in the Atlanta Airport is also irritating?  I’ve been traveling since 4:45 AM EDT and now cannot get dinner.  

:grumble:

This thread is a bit depressing. I have a weaker left leg so it's easier for me to get on and off the escalator on the right hand side, which would be okay in the US apparently but makes me anti-social in Australia. I don't think it matters much in Canberra as there is not usually a crush of impatient arseholes on the escalators.

I don't how long US escalators are but maybe people could take a deep breath, realise that they are not on the stairway to heaven and will be getting off shortly even if they are delayed for a whole 5 or 10 minutes. 

3 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I don’t know that I’d “hate” it.  I was in Kansas City today and it has a free shuttle downtown.  It’s nice and convenient.  Greenville SC also has a free tram on Main Street.  I like them.

And, actually (for the record) I like cheap efficient public transit.  No sense in driving if you don’t have to.

Communist.

21 minutes ago, Datepalm said:

Communist.

Damn straight.  I like to think of myself more as a pragmatist.  But my wife does call me a Communist from time to time.  I did pick up Engle’s book on the Peasant revolt in Germany during the 16th century over the weekend.  :)  )

11 hours ago, karaddin said:

We are agreeing to that, I'm saying which side that lane is can vary so check when traveling. In Australia you stand on the left and leave the right side for moving. 

Savages! 

9 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Damn straight.  I like to think of myself more as a pragmatist.  But my wife does call me a Communist from time to time.  I did pick up Engle’s book on the Peasant revolt in Germany during the 16th century over the weekend.  :)  )

While I wasn’t here to see it in its entirety, I think it’s safe to say that no other poster has changed more ideologically than you, Scot.    

What we need is people movers and escalators with lanes that actually move faster, progressively from one side to the other, so you merge left (for example) to speed up and then move right to slow down/exit.  We could even do this on a metro scale and eliminate train/subway cars all together.  Just a bunch of parallel conveyors going slightly faster than the one to the inside.

realise that they are not on the stairway to heaven and will be getting off shortly even if they are delayed for a whole 5 or 10 minutes.

i appreciate this reply, as it identifies a collective conceptual absence in the thread, the essence of privilege. thank you for this; the criticism is respectfully accepted.

For the record I was thinking from the perspective of being annoyed at my dad for not adjusting when in other countries and not wanting foreigners here to be annoyed at me when the error is theirs. I know the standing lane because I'm in it as well and certainly not one of the people getting annoyed at someone slowing them.

2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

While I wasn’t here to see it in its entirety, I think it’s safe to say that no other poster has changed more ideologically than you, Scot.    

I know right? I was thinking back to when he was fighting a desperate - only slightly marred by its being utterly theoretical - rearguard action against the coming proletariat dictatorship's dastardly intent to nationalize his daughter's bunny rabbit.

1 hour ago, sologdin said:

realise that they are not on the stairway to heaven and will be getting off shortly even if they are delayed for a whole 5 or 10 minutes.

i appreciate this reply, as it identifies a collective conceptual absence in the thread, the essence of privilege. thank you for this; the criticism is respectfully accepted.

Indeed, if mobility is the organizing structure of modernity and so differentiated mobility of post-modernity...

...they may experience expedited travel through security to the gate. In relation to the queuing passengers holding economy tickets, they are ultra mobile. They are the kinetic elite. Yet, their improved mobility is not only visually contingent upon the slower movements of economy passengers, but it is asymmetrically related to it.... In other words, higher risk passengers are slowed down so that the frequent flyer passengers may move faster. This is also the case for other people that inhabit and pass through airports, although in different ways. (Adey, 2006)

And yet,

A central theme of the emerging nomadic metaphysics is the equation that links mobility to forms of subaltern power. Some of the key theoreti-cal figures in contemporary poststructuralism (broadly conceived) have posited mobility as central to the practices of transgression and resistance. These include de Certeau’s celebration of the walker in the city, Said’s focus on the migrant and exile, the nomad of Deleuze and Guatarri and Braid-otti, the carnivalesque folk culture of Bakhtin, and Bauman’s vagrant. Alongside the celebration of these nomad figures there has been a focus on spaces of mobility ranging from the hybrid borderlands, to the global city, to the airport lounge. (Cresswell, 2006.)

5 hours ago, Datepalm said:

I know right? I was thinking back to when he was fighting a desperate - only slightly marred by its being utterly theoretical - rearguard action against the coming proletariat dictatorship's dastardly intent to nationalize his daughter's bunny rabbit.

My bunny poop, dang it.  :P

posited mobility as central to the practices of transgression and resistance

not bad--though we should be cautious of figurative language, such as D&G's "line of flight" and "body without organs."  uh wut 

but not only post-structuralist writers-- also gramsci's war of maneuver/position regarding hegemony doctrine.  and mobility and the lack thereof comes implicitly into foucault's political dreams of the leper and the plague--and through him to agamben on concentration camps.  

9 hours ago, karaddin said:

For the record I was thinking from the perspective of being annoyed at my dad for not adjusting when in other countries and not wanting foreigners here to be annoyed at me when the error is theirs. I know the standing lane because I'm in it as well and certainly not one of the people getting annoyed at someone slowing them.

My apologies. I was just using your quote as an entry point to the conversation, not in any way meaning to have a go at you.

I realise that people are just whinging light-heartedly (I hope) but the fact that everyone on the escalator might not be able-bodied is probably a fair point to make.

I am, of course, a complete saint and never ever complain about first world problems myself!

3 hours ago, Wall Flower said:

I am, of course, a complete saint and never ever complain about first world problems myself!

And I am a terrible daughter that will always complain about my Dad :lol:

On 5/9/2019 at 12:21 AM, A True Kaniggit said:

About half of what we assign those who try to skip to the head of the line when an interstate is being forced down to one lane.

Actually no, traffic engineers will tell you that in these cases, the late merge (or zipper) method has several advantages over early merge method - less queue (because space in the "disappearing" lane is more efficiently used), less speed differences (i.e. higher safety) - and should therefore used as the proper merging protocol.

It's mostly uneducated drivers who confound this with zipping ahead and react aggressively (like not letting people merge at the end of their lane).

Of course, there is a special place in hell for those who change onto the merging lane to overtake 5 cars and then merge back onto the through lane.

London trialled standing on both sides of escalators recently in really busy stations (I know Holborn was one) as a more efficient way to use escalators, too many lazy fucks refuse to walk anyway so the walking side is under utilized. 

4 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:London trialled standing on both sides of escalators recently in really busy stations (I know Holborn was one) as a more efficient way to use escalators, too many lazy fucks refuse to walk anyway so the walking side is under utilized. 

How did that work out? Holborn was hell on Earth during rush hour when i used it to the point where the crowd going in would block the pavement. And Kingsway is a pretty broad footpath too.

15 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

How did that work out? Holborn was hell on Earth during rush hour when i used it to the point where the crowd going in would block the pavement. And Kingsway is a pretty broad footpath too.

Not sure, I wonder how successful the trial would be as I can imagine Londoners refusing to adhere to the rules enough for it to be tested.  My missus used to use Holborn and would moan her tits about it before and during the trial, so I assume no difference.  Its not in place now so I guess that says a lot.

Archived