Escalators... what’s the deal?

On 5/10/2019 at 1:13 PM, HelenaExMachina said:

How did that work out? Holborn was hell on Earth during rush hour when i used it to the point where the crowd going in would block the pavement. And Kingsway is a pretty broad footpath too.

It made people angry - the ones who wanted to walk up. The people who are used to walking up escalators faster feel that they are slowed down compared to what is normal to them. However, the 'improvements' are based on the amount of time it takes to get everyone (a given number of people passing through the station) outside. So it was faster for everyone as a group - which is better for everyone, but it temporarily disadvantages the people who want to walk up.

Also they don't like being told that they can't walk up, as it feels like a personal right being taken away from them.

Finally, some people clearly cannot stand on one side (the gosh-darned right hand side, obviously) anyway, so, how are they going to leave enough room for a person to stand on the other side?

I frequently clip people who are standing in the middle, or have their bags leaning over to the left hand side as I walk up on the left. I would say at least two people per escalator. So that is four people every morning and four people every night (sometimes more) whom I have to remind to 'STAND ON THE RIGHT PLEASE'.

You know who really gets on my tits?  Those people who want to stand (on the right) but block the access for the walkers by pushing in from the left.  Those people should be given lots of paper cuts on their hands, then be forced to dip them in lemon juice.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/8/2019 at 11:57 PM, Tywin et al. said:

I have never had anyone try and pass me on an escalator, and I would be especially offended if someone tried in an airport. You disgust me more than standing wipers!!!  

Hmm, happens all the time in London in the tube.  They have signs saying "stand on the left".  People then go past faster on the right.  

Of course, some of those are REALLY long escalators.  

On 5/9/2019 at 12:58 AM, Fragile Bird said:

I get offended by people who stand in front of the table with the milk and cream at the coffee shop, the ones who fix their coffee and don’t have the sense to move aside for the rest of us. 

My bigger issue with that is when the shop/conference lays things out so badly that you can't move down the order.  If you're adding milk, there should be space to add milk that doesn't get in the way of others.  

I was at a conference this week where the order was (left to right): hot water, stirers, tea bags, milk, rubbish.  So you had to go middle, left, far right, left a bit.  Stupid.  

34 minutes ago, ants said:

Hmm, happens all the time in London in the tube.  They have signs saying "stand on the left".  People then go past faster on the right.  

Yes. Thats the dangers of walking up escalators on the tube, you run the risk of having to continue past the point your body is ready for. Because of my...circumstances, i would always choose to walk up but by say halfway i’d be feeling the leg burn and chest pains but obviously you can’t just stop

6 hours ago, ants said:

Are they wider than the ones here? Or is the term more expansive there? I’m just curious, because the last time I had to fly (a few months ago), I had a 50 pound bag I had to walk a mile and a half with, so hell yeah I’m setting it down on an escalator as I get to my ramp. I get the argument if someone has a tiny bag, but a huge suitcase, plus a carry on and a suit bag? Nah, let that person rest for a minute.

21 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Are they wider than the ones here? Or is the term more expansive there? I’m just curious, because the last time I had to fly (a few months ago), I had a 50 pound bag I had to walk a mile and a half with, so hell yeah I’m setting it down on an escalator as I get to my ramp. I get the argument if someone has a tiny bag, but a huge suitcase, plus a carry on and a suit bag? Nah, let that person rest for a minute.

if you have a suitcase plus carry on you really should be using the lift not the escalator.    Unless you mean the rolling walkway.  In which case your in a freaking airport.  its fine to block the rolling walkway.  walkers can go round the walkway if they don't want to risk getting stuck.  they should expect slow movement and large groups of tired travellers.

On 5/8/2019 at 9:59 AM, Tywin et al. said:

Let’s take it even further. My major pet peeve is when people lack spatial awareness. Can I just condemn all these people to burn in hell for an eternity? Or at the very least be occasionally allowed to slap one of these fools?

How the hell did I miss replying, "Well that escalated quickly" last month?

Now I'm just disappointed in myself.

Everyone else who didn't take this low hanging fruit should be ashamed as well.

55 minutes ago, Pebble said:

if you have a suitcase plus carry on you really should be using the lift not the escalator.    Unless you mean the rolling walkway.  In which case your in a freaking airport.  its fine to block the rolling walkway.  walkers can go round the walkway if they don't want to risk getting stuck.  they should expect slow movement and large groups of tired travellers.

Woah, woah, woah!    

First, the “lift” was like a couple hundred feet away, and the escalator led directly to the ramp, so I would have had to rewalk that to get there. It was an old fashion case, so no wheels. I almost never need to check a bag, but I had to attend a number of events, so it was required.

Second, how dare you advocate for blocking the rolling walkway. They literally have lines on them to divide walks from standers.

10 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Woah, woah, woah!    

First, the “lift” was like a couple hundred feet away, and the escalator led directly to the ramp, so I would have had to rewalk that to get there. It was an old fashion case, so no wheels. I almost never need to check a bag, but I had to attend a number of events, so it was required.

Second, how dare you advocate for blocking the rolling walkway. They literally have lines on them to divide walks from standers.

the rolling walkways I've seen don't have lines.  and are often only wide enough for 1 suitcase trolley.  Or one adult and one child with a trunkie.  they are always blocked.  Blocked walkways are to be expected.  but if you have wider ones with or without lanes then there is no reason to block them.

Most airport escalators I've seen have barriers in-front to stop people taking large bags on them. and big signs saying use the lift.

the ones in Tesco are just wide enough for the trolley and lock it into possition so you can't walk with it even if you wanted.  If you want to more faster too bad.

17 minutes ago, Pebble said:

the rolling walkways I've seen don't have lines.  and are often only wide enough for 1 suitcase trolley.  Or one adult and one child with a trunkie.  they are always blocked.  Blocked walkways are to be expected.  but if you have wider ones with or without lanes then there is no reason to block them.

Most airport escalators I've seen have barriers in-front to stop people taking large bags on them. and big signs saying use the lift.

the ones in Tesco are just wide enough for the trolley and lock it into possition so you can't walk with it even if you wanted.  If you want to more faster too bad.

Hmm, I've never seen that before, and I travel a lot. Things must be different on your side of the pond.

On 6/3/2019 at 3:37 AM, drawkcabi said:

So...what'd be worse?

Having someone standing in front of you blocking your way up an escalator or, or having a clear path up, only a mime ridicules you for it the whole way up?

I walk.  If everyone walked the escalator could move even more people.  Mimes not withstanding.

I got lucky last Friday.  My plane from GSP to Atlanta had an engine failure on takeoff and we had to fly back to GSP to wait for a new plane (the Emergency vehicles on the tarmac at our return were somewhat disconcerting).

Regardless, I missed my orginal connection.  I had 10 minutes to get from A terminal to D terminal to make my new flight to Tampa.  I lucked out and the escalator from the tram to D terminal was completely empty.  I ran up the escalator.  I got to the plane seconds before the boarding door was shut.  If I had been forced to stand I wouldn’t have made it in time.

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/8/2019 at 7:56 PM, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Really, they move to speed travel as we walk if you don’t have a ton of baggage why just stand and impede others who are trying to move?

Japan is now telling people to stand on both sides:

Now, when they ride an escalator at Tokyo Station, they will get a constant reminder from East Japan Railway Co. to “Please stand on both sides of the escalator.”

In an initiative launched at Tokyo Station on Monday, JR East is encouraging users not to leave space on one side for hurried passengers to walk up or down the escalator, but instead to stand on both sides. The campaign, which will run until Feb. 1, is aimed at preventing falls, as well as showing consideration for the elderly and passengers with disabilities, said Kuniyuki Takai, a JR East spokesperson.

“The overall goal of the campaign is to promote the safety of passengers,” Takai said.

So it seems the world is changing, and walkers no longer have right of way.

I agree with this change since I once almost slipped while walking up one.

20 minutes ago, Br16 said:

Japan is now telling people to stand on both sides:

Now, when they ride an escalator at Tokyo Station, they will get a constant reminder from East Japan Railway Co. to “Please stand on both sides of the escalator.”

In an initiative launched at Tokyo Station on Monday, JR East is encouraging users not to leave space on one side for hurried passengers to walk up or down the escalator, but instead to stand on both sides. The campaign, which will run until Feb. 1, is aimed at preventing falls, as well as showing consideration for the elderly and passengers with disabilities, said Kuniyuki Takai, a JR East spokesperson.

“The overall goal of the campaign is to promote the safety of passengers,” Takai said.

So it seems the world is changing, and walkers no longer have right of way.

I agree with this change since I once almost slipped while walking up one.

Ggggggggggrrrrrrr...

I will walk.  I refuse to turn into an “Axiom” passenger from “Wall-E”.

Escalator challenge: anyone firmly in the walking on the escalator camp needs to petition the mods to merge this thread with the Exercise and Fitness thread.  Type this into your Google search bar.  I bet most of you will read this but not do it but the real onez will:

Mods can we pleez merge this threaf with the Exercise and Fitness thread?  Lots of careless stairless threads cycling through the board rn

Archived