In your opinion - who are the smart people left?

Dragons 7th Eye

Another topic made me think how so many smart people have transformed into imbeciles in the last few seasons. Tyrion is the most obvious but Varys is not far behind and that got me thinking that - they all have. Just thinking about the dialoque between Varys and LF early in the series almost brings tears in my eyes. So, with that - who are your smart people left? Mine are:

Qyburn - this is not a beauty nor likability contest so I don't really expect many to disagree here. The man is a genius and the actor does a damn good job of portraying him as such. Damn, compare what Dany has to work with and - just damn - perhaps even more unfair than a thousand ships just materializing from thin air and anti-air guns from the 24th century.

Euron - not genius like Qyburn but set aside the likability issues, Euron gets stuff done and plot devices or not, he stomps all over "lesser men". Arguable in my opinion because the quality of competition really is not that high.

Erm. Who else?

Sansa - they try very hard, so I suppose she is supposed to be a smart character, now. In this competition she certainly does not do too bad, but -- no. Not like smart people earlier on. Think f.ex. Tywin.

Cersei - she has Qyburn and she is smart enough to let him do his thing. Sending Dany North to butcher her army was a stroke of genius. Ok. Maybe. A little bit.

So basically, we have Qyburn and - is that it? Instead of just "you are lucky to be alive" Cat should have carried on "and you are hired for life" and our heroes would be quite a bit better off :(

I can't list all the people who have apparently suffered major injuries to their brain during the last few seasons because, I haven't yet recovered from the moist eyes caused by the first paragraph.

Qyburn is the smartest, most effective genius in the history of the seven kingdoms (a world populated with morons.  It seems like Winter's true effect is draining the brain power of most people). He raises the dead, he invents dragon seeking ballista bolts, and far more.  Qyburn is clearly the only intelligent person left and should sit the iron throne. 

Sansa isn't as dumb as she used to be, but she's pretty dumb.

The only smart thing Cersei's done is let Qyburn do all the thinking.  Ditto with Euron. 

1 minute ago, Maester Vargo said:

Qyburn is the smartest, most effective genius in the history of the seven kingdoms (a world populated with morons.  It seems like Winter's true effect is draining the brain power of most people). He raises the dead, he invents dragon seeking ballista bolts, and far more.  Qyburn is clearly the only intelligent person left and should sit the iron throne. 

Sansa isn't as dumb as she used to be, but she's pretty dumb.

The only smart thing Cersei's done is let Qyburn do all the thinking.  Ditto with Euron. 

I can't argue with any of that. Not even the stuff between the lines.

Qyburn is a super-genius.

Davos is okay. He isn't a genius, but he is sensible.

Euron has done well for himself. Of course, he is batshit crazy too... but he has teleporting invisible ships, spy satellites that allow him to know where every ship in the world is, and laser guided rocket ballistas, so he can do what he wants...

All other "smart" people are actually quite dumb...

25 minutes ago, Ser Lepus said:

Qyburn is a super-genius.

Davos is okay. He isn't a genius, but he is sensible.

Euron has done well for himself. Of course, he is batshit crazy too... but he has teleporting invisible ships, spy satellites that allow him to know where every ship in the world is, and laser guided rocket ballistas, so he can do what he wants...

All other "smart" people are actually quite dumb...

Qyburn can create anything, his greatest invention ‘Ballista’s equipped with an aim bot” making the dragons completely useless. 

Euron has a drone and various tracking devices throughout the 7 Kingdoms so will always flank you. 

Cersei is being carried by Qyburn and Euron. 

Golden Company are one of the greatest armies. 

Everybody else has pretty much been nerfed so far. 

Dany can’t do much as she’s already been pretty much labelled as the Mad Queen before even doing anything. 

Jon is pretty much running around. 

Tyrion hasn’t made a good consultation in how long? 

Arya depends on what she plans to do next.

Just a few points I had to add. 

3 minutes ago, LearnToBeNoOne said:

Qyburn can create anything, his greatest invention ‘Ballista’s equipped with an aim bot” making the dragons completely useless. 

Euron has a drone and various tracking devices throughout the 7 Kingdoms so will always flank you. 

Cersei is being carried by Qyburn and Euron. 

Golden Company are one of the greatest armies. 

Everybody else has pretty much been nerfed so far. 

Dany can’t do much as she’s already been pretty much labelled as the Mad Queen before even doing anything. 

Jon is pretty much running around. 

Tyrion hasn’t made a good consultation in how long? 

Arya depends on what she plans to do next.

Just a few points I had to add. 

I think it's the Jon effect. Jon's "you know nothing Jon Snow" stupidity is toxic and infectious.  Everyone gets stupid when they get close to Jon. Not emotionally, just in the same general space.  

And I don't believe, not for a second, that Jon is anything but Ned Stark's kid.  The Stupid runs strong there. Unless Lyanna was also a moron. Then, maybe...

10 minutes ago, The_Spanish_Inquisition said:

Smart is not the same thing as tactically capable in war and leadership. 

Intelligence doesn’t always transfer to generalship.

sam is smart but couldn’t fight himself out of a wet paper bag if he’s panicked  

Davos is smart tactically, but only recently learned to read

Sure, but I meant smart in every possible way - intelligent, wise, clever, whatever - we can't exactly afford to be too picky, because pretty much everyone seems to have been infected with a brain eating disease and they are idiotic in every way imagineable.

+ Adding Sam. He is not an idiot.

So at this point it's a consensus that Qyburn is a genius, and even "slightly" overpowered.

Then some votes for Euron as being ok brainwise, and some votes for the opposite. A vote for Davos as being ok too, in his brain. And two votes for Sam being smart.

4 minutes ago, Maester Vargo said:

I think it's the Jon effect. Jon's "you know nothing Jon Snow" stupidity is toxic and infectious.  Everyone gets stupid when they get close to Jon. Not emotionally, just in the same general space.  

He’s actually pretty destructive but everybody loves him because he was meant to be TPTWP and they still have hope of him being exactly that. Would be much easier to come to terms with all the madness that has gone on in his presence.

Oh but he was resurrected, he’s the North’s saviour.   

4 minutes ago, Maester Vargo said:

And I don't believe, not for a second, that Jon is anything but Ned Stark's kid.  The Stupid runs strong there. Unless Lyanna was also a moron. Then, maybe...

Exactly the only thing his parents have influenced is his claim to the throne, everything else is Ned. That’s who raised him so he really is his ‘fathers’ son. 

I really do hope he finds a way for us to find something else in his character. 

4 minutes ago, Dragons 7th Eye said:

Sure, but I meant smart in every possible way - intelligent, wise, clever, whatever - we can't exactly afford to be too picky, because pretty much everyone seems to have been infected with a brain eating disease and they are idiotic in every way imagineable.

+ Adding Sam. He is not an idiot.

So at this point it's a consensus that Qyburn is a genius, and even "slightly" overpowered.

Then some votes for Euron as being ok brainwise, and some votes for the opposite. A vote for Davos as being ok too, in his brain. And two votes for Sam being smart.

Gotcha, overall smarts. Jaime, Qyburn, Tyrion, Sam.  

Cersei, honestly. She’s been pretty shrewd this far. 

Probably Tormund. Daario if he was around.  

40 minutes ago, The_Spanish_Inquisition said:

Gotcha, overall smarts. Jaime, Qyburn, Tyrion, Sam.  

Cersei, honestly. She’s been pretty shrewd this far. 

Probably Tormund. Daario if he was around.  

Tyrion and Varys both see further than Danny. Their plans do work in the end but with unexpected failures and costs. 

Cersei on the other hand is obsessed by her own cleverness and fails as a result of it. It is pretty clear that letting all those people into the Red Keep is going to backfire on her just like her alliance with the High Sparrow did.

2 hours ago, hallam said:

Tyrion and Varys both see further than Danny. Their plans do work in the end but with unexpected failures and costs. 

Cersei on the other hand is obsessed by her own cleverness and fails as a result of it. It is pretty clear that letting all those people into the Red Keep is going to backfire on her just like her alliance with the High Sparrow did.

I agree with all this. I think Tyrion is probably the smartest person in Westeros at the moment, but his character has been kind of neutered by his experiences and also ruined by the show. 

Show-Varys is terrible. I feel so bad for Conleth Hill. He could snooze his way through playing Varys the past few seasons. 

Qyburn is very smart, but also has the benefit of Citadel training and knowledge that the others lack. 

Cersei has really accomplished a tremendous amount, if you think about it. None of it good, but she’s very good at making other people pay for her bad choices. 

44 minutes ago, The_Spanish_Inquisition said:

Eh. Jon is a nice guy, is brave and honorable and kind and good at rallying people and making them like him, but pretty crap at everything else. His intentions are always the best, and he’s humble. 

He’s not a good general, he’s not a great leader. He’d need help to be a good king. 

Jon as King with Varys as his hand?

4 minutes ago, UnViserion said:

Jon as King with Varys as his hand?

Davos as his Hand. He’s intelligent and excellent tactically (skilled smuggler), but also a good guy and not out to benefit himself. 

Varys needs to go, in my opinion. He’s just too shady and manipulative. Jon needs to know where his people stand without any doubts. 

Sam for master of coin, Arya for whispers, and Yara for ships. 

I guess it depends on how you view "smart". So, I'll list some who I think are smart in different ways.

Qyburn - obviously very knowledgeable and book smart due to his being an ex Maester. Also cunning.

Sansa - Cunning and also decently book smart as one would have to be to organize and handle the logistics of feeding and running a castle such as Winterfell. About average when it comes to street smarts after starting out in the negatives were street smarts are concerned.

Sam - book smart but not necessarily always wise (due to his insistence to do things he knows he can't, like fight in the great battle). Not very cunning. 

Arya - Street smart all the way through. I would say at least a little book smart because you can't be dumb and also train with stuff they do in the House of Black and White. I would also say she's reasonably clever though not cunning in the same her sister is.

Davos - Not really book smart in that he has very little education though he can read (thanks Shireen) but he definitely knows the people and he definitely understands things like the smallfolk and he managed to get Lyanna Mormont to fight for the North, plus was able to convince the Iron Bank to back Stannis so he's definitely not dumb. I'm not sure how I'd categorize it though.

Tyrion - I'm adding him because he was quite smart up until a few seasons ago. My theory is they toned down his smartness to make Dany look better or something. But I'm adding him because he was clever, cunning, and very book smart since the beginning despite how he is now.

Cersei - she possesses a low certain cunning which we see when she invites all the smallfolk into the red keep for 'protection' knowing that the enemy will object to burning down the red keep with so many innocents inside (well, some of the enemy, I think at this point Dany doesn't care).

So, these are my thoughts. Obviously just my own opinions.

Qyburn is a high IQ guy. Very cunning as well, wasted no time endearing himself to Cersei. People underestimate him because he looks harmless, but he’s as ruthless as they come. I wonder if he’s smart enough to jump ship when Cersei falls or if he’ll follow her to the grave. I’ll retroactively downgrade his “smarts” if it’s the latter.

1 hour ago, Pandean said:

I guess it depends on how you view "smart". So, I'll list some who I think are smart in different ways.

Tyrion - I'm adding him because he was quite smart up until a few seasons ago. My theory is they toned down his smartness to make Dany look better or something. But I'm adding him because he was clever, cunning, and very book smart since the beginning despite how he is now.

Maybe he was toned down to make Cersei look better.

Part of Tyrion's loss of smarts was becoming a pacifist and then trying function as a wartime Hand.  Attempting to fight a war from the moral high ground.   Jorah would have been a much better Hand for the war against Cersei, had he been available.

Archived