Tyrion: No Longer the Smartest Guy in the Room

For eight seasons, we've had it drummed into us that Tyrion is always the smartest guy in the room. Yet, not since the Battle of Blackwater have we seem him come up with a successful strategy for anything. He wanted to leave the crypt during the battle at Winterfell because he "might see something that could help," but he didn't see the need for advanced scouting before arriving at King's Landing where he gets played by Cersei yet again. I think it's time to revoke his Mensa card. His new motto should be "I drink and I underestimate my enemies."

Turning the tables by demanding trial by combat was almost a smart thing, if not for the fact that the Viper couldn't finish the job. If he wanted to ruin Cersei killing Tywin was smart, because she didn't know what to do without him. 

Aside from that, no, he hasn't accomplished anything intelligent or crafty since season two. Seasons 3 and 4 he was put in his place by father, who was at least as smart and far more powerful. Since then, pretty much nothing.

He managed to curtail his lechery and alcoholism, at least. 

The show writers have no respect for Tyrion's intelligence or, apparently, that of any of the smart characters. Tyrion has been wrong about virtually everything and his fabled humor is reduced to eunuch jokes.

Martin put brilliant lines in his mouth time after time, the best lines in the book. These guys probably can't do it, and the alternative is that they don't want to.

13 minutes ago, Hodor's Dragon said:

The show writers have no respect for Tyrion's intelligence or, apparently, that of any of the smart characters. Tyrion has been wrong about virtually everything and his fabled humor is reduced to eunuch jokes.

Martin put brilliant lines in his mouth time after time, the best lines in the book. These guys probably can't do it, and the alternative is that they don't want to.

In order to write smart characters the writer has to also be smart. 

26 minutes ago, #teamNightking said:

In order to write smart characters the writer has to also be smart. 

This is it, they could not build on his intelligence and wit because they no longer had GRRM’s Tyrion anymore. 

D&D’s Tyrion is the absolute opposite to GRRM’s, he’s full of bad decisions and forced humour. 

41 minutes ago, The_Spanish_Inquisition said:

I truly hope they have a good reason for ruining tyrion these past few seasons, but I doubt it. 

Peter Dinklage must be so embarrassed. He has done amazing things with that character and they’ve turned him into a meek little worrywart. 

I think that the reason is he has a blind spot where it comes to his family. His biggest mistakes have been believing Cersei and being unwilling to act in a sufficiently brutal manner against her. I am puzzled, however, as to why he and Varys have become quite so squeamish. I don't think either of their characters would support wanton killing, but they have proven unwilling to take violent measures which are essential to conquest. And they really screwed up with the Red Keep, which they were unwilling to attack before, and now has been filled up with thousands of innocents.

29 minutes ago, Forlong the Fat said:

I think that the reason is he has a blind spot where it comes to his family. His biggest mistakes have been believing Cersei and being unwilling to act in a sufficiently brutal manner against her. I am puzzled, however, as to why he and Varys have become quite so squeamish. I don't think either of their characters would support wanton killing, but they have proven unwilling to take violent measures which are essential to conquest. And they really screwed up with the Red Keep, which they were unwilling to attack before, and now has been filled up with thousands of innocents.

Tyrion has always had a soft spot for his family, since the pilot episode. They just don’t seem to know how to write it once he was physically separated from and not sharing actual scenes with his family. 

Tyrion made very little protest when the Battle of Blackwater nearly destroyed Kings Landing, but now he’s suddenly a pacifist?

either there’s some reason for his change in personality, or he’s just been utterly ruined in the show  

Varys has been ruined as well, but mainly because he went from a sneaky player to effectively mute and useless once he left Kings Landing.  

Well..who is...really ?

When you have Dumb&Dumber as writers without source material, no character will be remotely smart.

Everyone is dumb. At this point I just feel bad for the actors and actresses. Putting all of their heart and soul into it, hoping for a great payoff to add to their legacy. Instead, D&D have burned it all down.

There's only one smart person alive in Westeros currently: Qyburn.

That man can do anything from curing badly infected wounds, to necromancy to redefining ground- and naval-warfare forever. 

5 hours ago, Gianna Dorenberg said:

Well..who is...really ?

When you have Dumb&Dumber as writers without source material, no character will be remotely smart.

Everyone is dumb. At this point I just feel bad for the actors and actresses. Putting all of their heart and soul into it, hoping for a great payoff to add to their legacy. Instead, D&D have burned it all down.

You nail it.

Not only for the actors - I feel sorry for all the readers and viewers as well who accompanied and supported the show so passionately throughout the years - and who now feel frustrated and dreadfully let down.

7 hours ago, LearnToBeNoOne said:

This is it, they could not build on his intelligence and wit because they no longer had GRRM’s Tyrion anymore. 

Agreed. GRRM's writing made Tyrion a great character and Peter Dinklage's acting brought him to life in new ways. But somewhere along the way the show runners decided that he was great because he was witty, which while true, was a disservice to the other reason his was great, his intelligence. So they've neglected to maintain Tyrion's full character to focus on his likability. I'm assuming they would've written him differently had the show followed his arc from slavery to the Second Sons as in the book. He's definitely still brilliant in the books up to this point...

The two most unbelivable blunders for Tyrion are getting played by Cersei's "pregnancy" twice!  First he thought she gave a shit and would send her armies north.  Second, he thought she would give a shit and surrender Kings Landing to Daenerys.  Just those two decisions alone make absolutely no sense for Tyrion's character. He literally got played both times by the person he knows best.

13 minutes ago, House Rootbreaker said:

He literally got played both times by the person he knows best.

And the easy sacking of Casterly Rock and the trick of the Lannisters sacking Highgarden instead was one of his major fails as adviser, too.

Tyrions was a very bad adviser to Daenerys throughout the whole series. The Missandei fail might have been his last failed advice.

49 minutes ago, Kajjo said:

And the easy sacking of Casterly Rock and the trick of the Lannisters sacking Highgarden instead was one of his major fails as adviser, too.

Let's not forget his failure to remind Daenerys of the existence and danger of the Iron Fleet when she "forgot". Apparently he "forgot" too?

2 hours ago, #teamNightking said:

Let's not forget his failure to remind Daenerys of the existence and danger of the Iron Fleet when she "forgot". Apparently he "forgot" too?

Yeah. To bad. Tyrion is not portrayed as smart, just told to be.

I think both Varys and Tyrion are going to get butchered for real in the next two episodes.  Hope I'm wrong about Tyrion, though.

Poor Tyrion has had very little in the way of good scenes to chew in the last few years.  I don't get why they're writing him so dumb as to plead to Cersei for her cooperation again, when he knows she reneged the last time - especially since Cersei sent Bronn to kill him and Jaime.  

I'm still waiting for the payoff regarding how Jorah's last (real) words to Daenerys essentially was "Tyrion is smart, have faith in him".

Maybe I'm overthinking it and that scene wasn't about setting up Tyrion to make some really smart move before the show is over, so much as it was about Jorah himself, finally coming to terms with who he, and his relation with Daenerys.

Archived