Why Missandei had to go

hallam

At this point we are certain to see at least one lead character dead in each of the last two episodes. And any character on a redemption arc is almost certain to get it as well. So Jamie and The Hound are almost certain to go out with Cersei and Euron. Varys is doomed of course. This probably means that most of the other characters who have made it thus far will survive. If any other major character goes, it will be Arya, Danny or Jon. 

So episode 4 was the best time to drop Missandei who had to go to raise the stakes for the final assault and to strip Danny of her closest advisers. She has to have nobody to fall back on when Varys betrays her.

Some of the fan complaints are pretty silly. The obvious reason that the camera is on Danny, not Missandai during the execution is her head is being chopped off

I think it is pretty clear that Arya is going to try to kill Cersei but she will fail because it is not her kill. She has the NK. I think she will be captured and be facing execution in the same fashion as Missandei. So Missandei had to die to show that Cersei will kill Arya.

Just now, UnViserion said:

Not so sure about Arya dying. I think it would be completely within the realm of the show plot to have her kill Cersei.

How about a combination of Danny and Jamie? 

Danny sets light to the building (her party trick after all). Jamie and Cersei trapped inside. She begs him to kill her.

Alternatively, it could be the Hound who kills her. There is his whole fire thing.

Just now, hallam said:

How about a combination of Danny and Jamie? 

Danny sets light to the building (her party trick after all). Jamie and Cersei trapped inside. She begs him to kill her.

Alternatively, it could be the Hound who kills her. There is his whole fire thing.

My preference would be for Jaime to do it on his own. Dany could still be indirectly involved by overwhelming Cersei’s forces and whatnot, leading her to request a mercy-death or causing her to attempt to burn down the capital, which would force Jaime to act.

23 minutes ago, Kaguya said:

Why? The writers are too pussy to kill off Tyrion. He should have died 

That would have been a shocker. That's what I liked about this show to begin with, they killed off major characters one after another.

Killing Missandei was to show once more that happy couples don't last in this story.

Missandei had to go, because the writers are dead set on turning Daenerys into Cersei 2.0 before she show ends, so everything that's important to her in some way or shape has to go, so that she ultimately has nothing left to loose:

- Her oldest friend (Jorah)
- Her best friend (Missandei)
- Her children (2 down, 1 to go)
- Her love interest (Jon)
- Her destiny (Being the last Targaryen)
- Her advisers (1 down, 1 to go)
- Her feeling loved by the people (Everyone stopped caring about her when she left Essos.)

Soon she's a queen, where the only thing she has left is one sycophant and the obsession with the Iron Throne and power.
Seems familiar?

Unluckily for the audience, this sudden turn of her Mhysa-arc, even if it has been planned for a long time and will happen in the books as well (presumably way better written and paced), comes so late in the story that it comes across as contrived and scripted. 
What they did to Cersei over the course of 6 seasons, they try to do to Daenerys in 2 episodes...

42 minutes ago, MinscS2 said:

Unluckily for the audience, this sudden turn of her Mhysa-arc, even if it has been planned for a long time and will happen in the books as well (presumably way better written and paced), comes so late in the story that it comes across as contrived and scripted. 
What they did to Cersei over the course of 6 seasons, they try to do to Daenerys in 2 episodes...

But not necessarily permanently. Danny will probably do a Han Solo thing and return to save Luke in the final death star confrontation.

1 hour ago, Deminelle said:

That would have been a shocker. That's what I liked about this show to begin with, they killed off major characters one after another.

Killing Missandei was to show once more that happy couples don't last in this story.

Bronn killing Tyrion would have advanced the plot significantly. Such a wasted opportunity 

One thing I am sure about is that Arya will not die - no way. The Hound will, which will break my heart.

Arya will not get a second biiig kill, but will take out the mountain together with Sandor. Cersei is Jaimies job.Or at least I hope so.

22 hours ago, hallam said:

So episode 4 was the best time to drop Missandei who had to go to raise the stakes for the final assault and to strip Danny of her closest advisers. She has to have nobody to fall back on when Varys betrays her. 

I think she was killed because Missandei was her best friend and that's the best way to trigger Dany into becoming the Mad Queen. That's what everybody is expecting her to become exactly like her father. Cersei already laid the foundations by opening the gates and allowing the people of KL into the Red Keep under the name of protection yet their only purpose is to be her human shield . This means that if Dany uses dracarys then she will burn alive a huge number of innocent civilians - losing the people of KL before even having a chance to win them over.

22 hours ago, hallam said:

I think it is pretty clear that Arya is going to try to kill Cersei but she will fail because it is not her kill. She has the NK. I think she will be captured and be facing execution in the same fashion as Missandei. So Missandei had to die to show that Cersei will kill Arya.

Not sure that's a good enough reason to justify why she will fail, there's no entitlement to killing. We know that Arya can change her face so it puts her in a great position to do so but doesn't guarantee it.

The only 2 characters that are probably being protected is The Mountain and The Hound but only if we're heading towards Cleganebowl.

1 minute ago, LearnToBeNoOne said:

Not sure that's a good enough reason to justify why she will fail, there's no entitlement to killing. We know that Arya can change her face so it puts her in a great position to do so but doesn't guarantee it.

The only 2 characters that are probably being protected is The Mountain and The Hound but only if we're heading towards Cleganebowl.

Cleganebowl is pretty much certain at this point.

I think we have to see the Red Keep burn in dragonfire. So not Arya.

1 minute ago, hallam said:

I mean it would be nice if Arya didn't have to do everything because there's so many other ways the plot could go. Depends on D&D we know they love Arya.

8 hours ago, MinscS2 said:

Missandei had to go, because the writers are dead set on turning Daenerys into Cersei 2.0 before she show ends, so everything that's important to her in some way or shape has to go, so that she ultimately has nothing left to loose:

- Her oldest friend (Jorah)
- Her best friend (Missandei)
- Her children (2 down, 1 to go)
- Her love interest (Jon)
- Her destiny (Being the last Targaryen)
- Her advisers (1 down, 1 to go)
- Her feeling loved by the people (Everyone stopped caring about her when she left Essos.)

Soon she's a queen, where the only thing she has left is one sycophant and the obsession with the Iron Throne and power.
Seems familiar?

This.

If someone dies next episode, I see it being Greyworm. I see Jon really turning his back on her this episode and Tyrion possibly also turning his back or giving bad council (again).

They (D&D) are hellbent on this Dany is mad arc and since they couldn't do it in a believable way, they are just going to have everything bad happen to her as quickly as possible to justify it. I hope in the Inside the Episode they make a passing remark of her going mad and say something once again of how, "We have known for about 3 years we wanted Dany to go mad."

36 minutes ago, hallam said:

Ya know, I was also confidant that Cleganebowl was going to happen. I mean, this would be an easy slam dunk for D&D to get fans back on their side.

I have no confidence in them though, I think Cleganebowl is a huge let down or doesn't exist. Or maybe like 5 seconds of fighting. I bet they screw this up as well...

15 minutes ago, btfu806 said:

Ya know, I was also confidant that Cleganebowl was going to happen. I mean, this would be an easy slam dunk for D&D to get fans back on their side.

I have no confidence in them though, I think Cleganebowl is a huge let down or doesn't exist. Or maybe like 5 seconds of fighting. I bet they screw this up as well...

Same, doubtful but it would be ridiculous for them to mess up something so easy - just let them fight. They know Cleganebowl would be well received.

Wouldn't be surprised if they also messed this up because they're under the impression that they'll never be able to make the scene live up to expectation so maybe a quick brawl to tick the box and move on.

The potential to get it right is there but taking a look at all of the things D&D messed up, it's not looking good.

I think Missandei did a very smart thing. Remember her joke about seeking for help in 50 languages or something like that?

She did not drown alongside others because she offered her knowledge to the queen. She knew very well that Cersei would gain more by killing her and this would be her chance for last words directed at her real queen.

Contradicting her advice in the map room to let King's Landing's population speak highly of Daenery's mercy, she now said "Dracarys". Because the population is already undead, thanks to the wight they had left Qyburn.

Archived