Nikolaj Coster-Waldau interview: "Jaime Lannister is a man who came so close to being the hero he always wanted to be and fell back on old habits anyways."

Jaime is my favorite character as I imagine he also is of a large proportion of fans , especially in the books. I cant remember another book where I hated a character, the pitied and loved him, despite his sins. His emotional journey and his self realization of that the person who he became in the eyes of others doesnt have to be who he really is, its been the greatest pleasure of my reading days. Its like I know him, ive absolved him. And the actor! Nikolaj is Jaime Lannister, he is the best pages to screen translation in the show IMO. A lot of people believe he left Brienne to valonqar Cersei, but sadly it appears this is not the case. Jaime Lannister journey will end his journey in a perfect circle of twisted love. I get it, it happens quite often in real life, sometimes we cant beat our demons. Will it happen in the books? After he leaves Cersei to her fate and takes off with Brienne? Maybe. It will be a heartbreaking thing to read but at least whe shall read what goes inside his head. I just hope he finds his peace, it still breakes me he never is going to stop hating himself despite being forgiven by Brienne and others. "She is hateful and so am I". That phrase cut me more deeply that the fact he left.

You shouldn’t listen what actors say before the whole story has been revealed. They are bound to secrecy by contract. He cannot reveal anything at this point. The goodbye scene is from Brienne’s POV, he simply confirms that POV.

He said Tyrion he was happy with Brienne, we do not have reasons to doubt his words, he’s no reason to lie to his brother.

He may hate himself for being forced to break Brienne’s heart. His acting at least seems to suggest so. I would wait with the final judgment or we risk to condemn him before we know the whole story, exactly like it happened with the Kingslayer story.

Depends if you consider Jaime to be one of the major characters or not. GRRM said he would make changes only to the plot of minor characters.

I don’t consider Jaime a minor. FMPOV he carries some of the most important scenes in both books and show. But that’s just me.

I'm sure they say these things to throw people off as they know there's many fan theories floating about and leaks always come to light. It's to try and keep it mysterious although the writing has gone so bad anything can happen regardless of whether it makes sense or not.

Archived