Why did Tywin lie about Tysha?

To this day I still wonder about this, even 6 years after first finishing A Storm of Swordswhen Jaime reveals to Tyrion that their father Tywin made him lie about Tysha being a whore. 

This supposed reason Tywin lied, was because he thought Tysha was just after a piece of the Lannister fortune, which would've made her "no different from a whore." Something about this just never added up for me, because if that were the case, then he could've just paid her to leave Tyrion. 

Is it possible Tywin actually tried to pay her to go away, but she refused because she actually loved Tyrion? Then because of this, Tywin made up the lie that Tysha was a whore, then forced Tyrion to watch as the Lannister guards sexually assaulted her, to teach him a "sharp lesson." 

So do you think Tywin actually believed Tysha was after Lannister gold, or do you think it's more likely that Tywin just didn't believe Tyrion deserved to be happy?

Two reasons stand out

1: Tywin thinks so lowly of Tyrion that he does not believe anyone would ever love him without a catch. Ergo Tysha's genuinely a whore out for Lanister money.

2: Lanisters don't date peasant girls. Period! Not even the lowest of the Lanister will do it and if they do it must be nipped in the butt with extreme force. 

1 hour ago, Daemon of the Blacks said:

2: Lanisters don't date peasant girls. Period! Not even the lowest of the Lanister will do it and if they do it must be nipped in the butt with extreme force. 

I go with this one. Tyrion marrying Tysha was a slight on Lannister pride, no matter how Tywin viewed his youngest son. Tywin didn't care one way or the other about Tysha or about Tyrion's happiness - he cares how Tyrion's behavior reflects on him. The whole episode isn't about solving a problem in the most expedient way or even about punishing Tyrion. I think it's just Tywin's way of teaching his son a lesson that he hope will stick.

14 hours ago, Syl of Syl said:

I go with this one. Tyrion marrying Tysha was a slight on Lannister pride, no matter how Tywin viewed his youngest son. Tywin didn't care one way or the other about Tysha or about Tyrion's happiness - he cares how Tyrion's behavior reflects on him. The whole episode isn't about solving a problem in the most expedient way or even about punishing Tyrion. I think it's just Tywin's way of teaching his son a lesson that he hope will stick.

This seems most likely and consistent with Tywin’s behaviour towards his father’s mistress. He is teaching both Tyrion and Tysha a lesson - peasants should not overreach, they should stay down where they belong. Gross of course but there you have it

He punishes Tyrion and Tysha in an extreme way because they stepped out of line - particularly Tysha as a mere peasant. There is also something disturbingly sexual about the punishment that speaks to a darker side of Tywin's sexuality and attitude to woman.

However, he lies about Tysha being a prostitute because he's an emotionally manipulative bastard who wants to make Tyrion believe that he is a monster who no one could possibly love.

11 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

This seems most likely and consistent with Tywin’s behaviour towards his father’s mistress. He is teaching both Tyrion and Tysha a lesson - peasants should not overreach, they should stay down where they belong. Gross of course but there you have it

Yep. A slight step above Roose Bolton hanging a common man who dared to marry without his consent, then raping and impregnating the man’s wife under his swinging body. 

On ‎5‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 9:38 PM, swidler said:

To this day I still wonder about this, even 6 years after first finishing A Storm of Swordswhen Jaime reveals to Tyrion that their father Tywin made him lie about Tysha being a whore. 

This supposed reason Tywin lied, was because he thought Tysha was just after a piece of the Lannister fortune, which would've made her "no different from a whore." Something about this just never added up for me, because if that were the case, then he could've just paid her to leave Tyrion. 

Is it possible Tywin actually tried to pay her to go away, but she refused because she actually loved Tyrion? Then because of this, Tywin made up the lie that Tysha was a whore, then forced Tyrion to watch as the Lannister guards sexually assaulted her, to teach him a "sharp lesson." 

So do you think Tywin actually believed Tysha was after Lannister gold, or do you think it's more likely that Tywin just didn't believe Tyrion deserved to be happy?

He believed that a homeless orphan who had known his dwarf son a few weeks was not truly in love with him, nor was Tyrion in love with her. They barely knew each other.

This is not Tywin being a dick to Tyrion, had Cersei ran off and married a homeless peasant he'd be found dead in a ditch somewhere.

For what its worth I'm not even sure Tysha had any choice in the marriage. She would have been too scared to say no to a Lannister for fear of the consequences. But no one should begrudge her saying yes even if it was for security and a better life. The vast amount of noble marriages are done for similar reasons.

I also don't think happiness comes into it. Nobles rarely marry for love, and the few that do, like Doran, end up no happier in the long run.

As mentioned Tywin spoke the what "truth" that mattered to him regardless of how wrong he was. He thought Tysha was a gold digger and treated her horrible for this.

And paying Tysha to leave Tyrion would not go down for several reasons. One is that nobles don't pay their subjects to do what they want if they can avoid it and second is that it would encourage others to do the same on Tyrion in the hopes of getting money to go away.

I am utterly convinced that Tywin thought Tysha was after Lannister money. After all Tywin finances Tyrion's playboy-scholar lifestyle to go drinking, sexing and reading across Westeros so I don't think that Tywin wants Tyrion to be unhappy but rather than he don't care on bit if Tyrion is unhappy or happy and never takes that into considerations when making his decisions.

Archived