Mad Queen Dany is a misdirection, just like Talissa was a spy and the Sansa/Arya antagonism last season.

AlaerysTargaryen

6 minutes ago, AlaerysTargaryen said:

I fucking hope so! 

This would be such a nice foil to the idea that she’s become a shrewd player of the game by observing Littlefinger, which is nowhere supported in her recent conduct. 

I always kind of wished Talisa was actually a spy, because that was the only compelling aspect of her entire storyline.  

4 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

Dying in childbirth to me is worse than if she goes crazy/evil. 

I used to think that her dying in childbirth would be one of the worst possible ways for her to go. Such a strong, fiery character going out with a quiet, helpless whimper. Considering what the show is heading towards however, her dying in childbirth would've been better, because at least there would be some sense and happiness to it: Her legacy would live on, and her entire lifelong struggle in making the world a better place than she found it would result in her child getting to, while never knowing his/her mother, at least get to live in this new better world she built. It's bittersweet. More bitter than sweet for sure, but not entirely bad.

If Daenerys dies after suddenly turning into the very thing she's spent her entire life fighting however, is just not outright horrible and tragic, it also makes her arc seem so pointless. What's the moral? Don't forget to tip your waitress or she might dracarys your ass?
There's absolutely nothing sweet about neither her narrative nor character concluding in this manner. It's just all bitter and tragic, and ultimately a huge waste of time... 

5 hours ago, Bran the Shipper said:

At the moment I'm of the idea that Dany will prove (to the audience) that she is not going mad, and that she would actually make a good queen who cares about the plight of the smallfolk.  And she is killed anyway, because of the schemes to get Jon on the throne instead.

What about Cersei somehow framing Dany as a butcher to shore up her own position in the eyes of the realm? That would have nothing to do with schemes to put Jon on the throne.

1 hour ago, MinscS2 said:

I used to think that her dying in childbirth would be one of the worst possible ways for her to go. Such a strong, fiery character going out with a quiet, helpless whimper.

Having her die in childbirth would be a tiresome reuse of one of the common themes tying her and Jon and Tyrion together in the first place.

Just now, CrypticWeirwood said:

Having her die in childbirth would be a tiresome reuse of one of the common themes tying her and Jon and Tyrion together in the first place.

It most certainly would.
I'm not saying it's my preferred ending for her (it really isn't, far from it), but I'd prefer that ending over the one we're seemingly heading towards. 

33 minutes ago, CrypticWeirwood said:

What about Cersei somehow framing Dany as a butcher to shore up her own position in the eyes of the realm? That would have nothing to do with schemes to put Jon on the throne.

I do think Cersei is trying to goad Dany into making herself look like a monster.  But I think thematically, Dany's fate should be determined by Jon not being able to keep his parentage a secret.  That way it is because of his choice (and Dany's since I feel like it is likely she will attack the Red Keep) that we get this tragedy.  A tragic ending needs to be because of decisions that the heroes make not because of things outside their control.

27 minutes ago, darmody said:

Has it ever been confirmed Talissa was deliberately used as a red herring? Or was it simply a matter of poorly timed scenes and her character being shoved into a storyline where she didn't really belong?

I don’t think so. Her arc is so similar to Jeyne Westerling in the books that all I can guess is that they thought a foreign battlefield nurse would be more gripping than a deflowered local girl. 

The Talisa character added nothing, and actually damaged the whole point of Robb having to choose which point of honor he valued more - the promise he made to House Frey, or the dishonor he brought to the daughter of his bannerman. 

7 hours ago, AlaerysTargaryen said:

Always pictured her dying but for a greater cause or even in childbirth, la me as it sounds. Not a villain, not a mad woman who followed into her father and borther path of insanity

She should have been assassinated by Cersei after the WW battle - This would have turned her into a martyr prior to the battle of KL.

Just now, Nami said:

I still think she's just super pissed. Maybe it's the writing that is complete shit trying to go with this "she's going mad" thing or as you say.

That's basically it. 

Daenerys reactions here (anger, frustration, sadness) are completely rational.

It's how the show portrays these rational reactions (that any sane person would have in her situation) as "madness" or "insanity" that's pissing a lot of people off. 

On 5/10/2019 at 6:14 PM, AlaerysTargaryen said:

A beloved character and the face of the show wont go down as an evil, mad woman just like Cersei.

Well, I still believe this is all much too black-and-white.

Daenerys has shown signs of instability, of rage and fury, in all seasons. Daenerys has shown signs of warmheartedness as well. Game of Thrones is not about black-and-white, but about nuances and the depth of what humanness encompasses.

Daenerys might freak out after having witnessed the beheading of Missandei. She might kill hundreds or thousands of small folk. She is known to be instable and her face in the last scene was actually that dangerous mix of fury and grief, of losing it.

That does not mean that Daenerys turns mad as in a medical condition. But she might act "like mad" and have her priorities on killing Cersei, on revenge, on her battle now. She might mount Drogon and "burn them all". Whether you call this mad or not, does not matter. What matters, is what she actually does.

Maybe Tyrion and Varys once more talk her out of an dangerous and fatal immediate attack. Maybe not. But they showed us clearly that Daenerys was on the verge of anger, rage, fury. This is even understandable in such circumstances.

Both is possible, we simply have to see how she reacts. This is very realistic, because in real we wouldn't now how a powerful and instabile person would react, too.

Every human has an element of "instability," but I've never seen unusual instability from Daenerys. She's moody, but it doesn't control her. All her decisions have been purposeful, never erratic. Anger yes, snap judgments no.

Of course she's angry now, but she's still going to make a decision that serves her cause and not one to just play out her emotions. That is, unless she does a 180 from the rest of the story, which would come as no big surprise.

22 hours ago, LucyMormont said:

You can have Jon as the center of the story and still have a good ending for Dany, or at least not as bad as the leaks are sayin (as for the sayings of those of you who've read the leaks, I didn't). 

If she has to go, let her go in a good, meaningful, decent way. What was the point of her whole storyline? I jut don't get it.

I feel you. Never have I felt so strongly about a fictional character. I always felt that the show/books truly started with the return of the dragons. She went from nothing to everything and so many people are trying to "mad queen" her when she really has done nothing crazy. I don't get what she was supposed to do with the Tarlys, if she imprisoned them then she would always have to be worried about them and their men rebelling against her. First episode of the series when the guy ran from the wall, Ned Stark killed him. Didn't take him as a prisoner for going against the kingdom, he killed him. And both men could have easily bent the knee, but they chose to die for stubborn reasons. I hope she goes out in a good way but I can say with a 99% certainty she won't end up on the iron throne. 

17 hours ago, MinscS2 said:

That's basically it. 

Daenerys reactions here (anger, frustration, sadness) are completely rational.

It's how the show portrays these rational reactions (that any sane person would have in her situation) as "madness" or "insanity" that's pissing a lot of people off. 

So the show is portraying rational reactions, people are inferring "madness / insanity " for themselves and getting pissed off at the show over it.

1 minute ago, The Red Waste said:

So the show is portraying rational reactions, people are inferring "madness / insanity " for themselves and getting pissed off at the show over it.

The show is inferring that Daenerys is going insane - because of her rational reactions...
Did you miss Varys' and Tyrion's scenes last episode? They're clearly worried about her mental stability, especially Varys who's already jumped ship, because somehow showing anger and sadness and talking about vengeance when your child and best friend was killed in front of you is something only crazy people do.

No one wants see Jon or Dani die or them be rivals. Varys will die ending the council of evil that advised Aeyrs king Robert and joffrey. Bittersweet i just not sure what could be other then drogon dying so she can have a real baby. Or Jon died saving her life. But that goes against Jon dying

16 minutes ago, The Red Waste said:

No, the show is showing other characters question her state of mind and fitness to rule, so its reasonable speculation that since characters in the show are commenting on Dany's judgment and mental state and fitness to rule....that this a cue to the audience.

10 minutes ago, MinscS2 said:

The show is inferring that Daenerys is going insane - because of her rational reactions...
Did you miss Varys' and Tyrion's scenes last episode? They're clearly worried about her mental stability, especially Varys who's already jumped ship, because somehow showing anger and sadness and talking about vengeance when your child and best friend was killed in front of you is something only crazy people do.

They're worried about her mental state because she's liable to do something rash and get them killed. They would still prefer her to take two weeks vacation rather than have her sectioned.

Archived