Watch, Watched, Watching: Getting Sneaky

RedEyedGhost

Gentleman Jack's got the BEST theme music!

Enjoying this series so much.  It pulls off what period / historicals seldom do: it feels within its time rather than showing us its time.  So much of that must be due to the actor, Suranne Jones, who inhabits Anne Lister.

Also, pretty funny to see Yara Greyjoy there, as the prissy sister.

I'm watching s2 of Rebellion and Undercover, a Dutch/Belgian crime series focused on investigating an ecstasy ring. Both series are decent, but I'm not blown away by either.

On 5/10/2019 at 6:55 PM, DireWolfSpirit said:

Watched Avengers Endgame and the first four episodes of Season 8 Game of Thrones.

Both of these franchises delivered for me big time, very enjoyable viewing for each of these.

Stay away from the TV show forum. Those lunatics will lynch you for not hating every second of this season. 

does anyone know if season 2 of "deep state" can be watched independently of season 1? Or whether season 1 is worth a watch? Basically curious to see walton goggins have a lead role 

8 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Stay away from the TV show forum. Those lunatics will lynch you for not hating every second of this season. 

show's too popular not to hate now. Beats me why people watch it if they hate it so much. It's clearly an alternate version of how the books will end so just wait/hope for the books/

Also watched "upgrade" which was a classic example of a well-executed SF film that went unnoticed because it doesn't spend its entire budget on trying to get people to watch it instead of the latest marvel/disney film. The really bizarre thing was how similar it was to "venom". Even logan marshall-green finds his inner Tom Hardy and does a similar "I'm totally confused about what's happening" - although he puts in an even better performance in terms of body language.

54 minutes ago, red snow said:

Also watched "upgrade" which was a classic example of a well-executed SF film that went unnoticed because it doesn't spend its entire budget on trying to get people to watch it instead of the latest marvel/disney film. The really bizarre thing was how similar it was to "venom". Even logan marshall-green finds his inner Tom Hardy and does a similar "I'm totally confused about what's happening" - although he puts in an even better performance in terms of body language.

I was actually pretty disappointed in Upgrade. I was sold based on that fight they showed in the trailer , which looked creative and fun.  But that was pretty much the highlight of the entire movie, I found the rest of it to be quite dull and grey. I wanted it to be a lot more over the top but it seemed to play it safe a lot of the time 

37 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

I was actually pretty disappointed in Upgrade. I was sold based on that fight they showed in the trailer , which looked creative and fun.  But that was pretty much the highlight of the entire movie, I found the rest of it to be quite dull and grey. I wanted it to be a lot more over the top but it seemed to play it safe a lot of the time 

Venom might well be the movie for you if you want it to be more OTT

Finished watching The Terror yesterday. I thought it was great. High production values, some really good performances, and, what was vital for me, it captured the lonely and terrifying atmosphere of the icy world they're trapped in.

I'm still narked about having to pay £25 to watch it. But I'm glad I've seen it. Finally.

2 hours ago, red snow said:

Even logan marshall-green finds his inner Tom Hardy and does a similar "I'm totally confused about what's happening" - although he puts in an even better performance in terms of body language.

Tom Hardly. My brother's been calling him that ever since Prometheus. 

Loved Upgrade. Great story and the fight scenes are brilliant. 

2 hours ago, Isis said:

Finished watching The Terror yesterday. I thought it was great. High production values, some really good performances, and, what was vital for me, it captured the lonely and terrifying atmosphere of the icy world they're trapped in.

I'm still narked about having to pay £25 to watch it. But I'm glad I've seen it. Finally.

Curse the price point.

Was it true they were making a second season? Looks like they set in a Japanese internment camp during ww2 and not based on a book by simmons or a book for that matter. Odd.

2 hours ago, Spockydog said:

Tom Hardly. My brother's been calling him that ever since Prometheus. 

Loved Upgrade. Great story and the fight scenes are brilliant. 

That is a fair name especially as hardly seems to get the smaller/lower profile roles. I wonder if he's in a "mildy irritated max" film ?

6 hours ago, red snow said:

show's too popular not to hate now. Beats me why people watch it if they hate it so much. It's clearly an alternate version of how the books will end so just wait/hope for the books/

Hate watching is a pretty popular thing these days. That said, it’s fair to criticize last night’s episode.

43 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Hate watching is a pretty popular thing these days. That said, it’s fair to criticize last night’s episode.

I'm finding this fascinating from a behaviorist perspective.  It's an example of the adages about never trusting mass popularity because it can turn to mass hatred on a dime.

I just wish these people who have spent 20 or so years living through these books and television seasons put that kind of attention and passion toward our social, political and environmental crises.

14 minutes ago, Zorral said:

I'm finding this fascinating from a behaviorist perspective.  It's an example of the adages about never trusting mass popularity because it can turn to mass hatred on a dime.

I just wish these people who have spent 20 or so years living through these books and television seasons put that kind of attention and passion toward our social, political and environmental crises.

My best guess is that people who’ve been into ASOIAF since the beginning probably have been more socially engaged on average.

Archived