Watch, Watched, Watching: Getting Sneaky

RedEyedGhost

13 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

Iannuchi left as showrunner a couple seasons ago. Or do you just mean he gets the credit in general for creating such a great show and characters?

I meant for the show as a whole, yeah. I think Iannuchi deserves credit for the excellent quality of the final seasons of Veep for all the same reasons George doesn't deserve blame for the poor quality of GoT's ending. He set the table and cooked the meal. That others could or couldn't serve it without calamity is ultimately a testament to his efforts. Hidden benefits of leaving an ongoing project I suppose.

4 hours ago, Triskele said:

I've seen the first two episodes, and as good as it sounded, it's exceeded expectations.  Riveting.  

It's the old HBO factor resurgent. What should just be a disaster show taken to another level. In places it feels like some kind of eerie SF show but in many ways that's exactly what happened.

3 hours ago, red snow said:

It's the old HBO factor resurgent. What should just be a disaster show taken to another level. In places it feels like some kind of eerie SF show but in many ways that's exactly what happened.

Episode one felt at times like a horror film with the threat of the radiation being the “monster” lurking in the shadows. Excellent show

36 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Episode one felt at times like a horror film with the threat of the radiation being the “monster” lurking in the shadows. Excellent show

It really does remind us of why Japan came up with Godzilla and the like after world war 2.

It also has the sense of humans being utterly outclassed by the forces at hand. That stat about the fire churning out x amount of Hiroshima per hour is a great way of conveying the scale.

The trees Changing colour in the path of the cloud and bigger animals dropping dead are very effective.

14 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

First off, I completely agree with the last part. I was surprised earlier today when @Ormond said he quit during season 2. Just seems like an odd place given that the show was still really good then.

The first season was very good. I disliked the "sexploitation" aspects of it but in almost all other aspects it was very well done, and it actually "fixed" the main problem I have with the books (Martin having his child characters do and understand things way before normal children would be able to at those ages -- and no, having been subjected to trauma does not make a kid "grow up faster" in real life) by having the kids start out older than they were in the books.

But I think of myself as primarily a fan of the book series. I made the decision that I just didn't want to watch the TV version until I had finished reading a completed book series. This became even more important to me when it became clear that the TV series was going to finish way before GRRM finished the books. If he never finishes the books, I'll probably never watch the rest of the TV series, and I'm perfectly OK with that. There are way more important things in life than watching a TV show, no matter how good it is.

9 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

The end of episode 2 was excellent. The tension, paranoia and fear in that scene was brilliant. And an "alien" vibe on top. 

Saw John Wick 3. It was exactly what I expected from a John Wick movie and nothing more. Plenty of over the top action that borders on ridiculous, a soggy middle section with too much exposition and a violent last 3rd that maybe wasn't as strong as the fights in the first half hour.  Its strange how I could say the same things about all the John Wick movies, they all have the same strengths and the same weaknesses.

2 hours ago, Heartofice said:

Saw John Wick 3. It was exactly what I expected from a John Wick movie and nothing more. Plenty of over the top action that borders on ridiculous, a soggy middle section with too much exposition and a violent last 3rd that maybe wasn't as strong as the fights in the first half hour.  Its strange how I could say the same things about all the John Wick movies, they all have the same strengths and the same weaknesses.

Are there dogs and is there a hilarious scene where he sets up all his traps and weapon drops prior to a fight that feels like an explanation of how power ups are placed in computer games?

I'm pleased it's still consistent. These types of film are usually awful by the third one.

Just now, red snow said:

Are there dogs and is there a hilarious scene where he sets up all his traps and weapon drops prior to a fight that feels like an explanation of how power ups are placed in computer games?

I'm pleased it's still consistent. These types of film are usually awful by the third one.

Haha! There ARE dogs! 

I’ve always liked how watching a John Wick movie isn’t too different to playing PlayStation, the action is definitely influenced by computer games. 

There is a point in all the movies where the fights get repetitive and I lose interest. I’ve found that the opening fight in all 3 movies are generally the best. The car scene in 2 was awesome 

21 hours ago, red snow said:

"the virtues" almost made "Chernobyl" seem light-hearted. Harrowing stuff that's almost too hard and uncomfortable to watch.

Indeed it was, utterly brilliant though. Shane Meadows has done it again, and I've run out of plaudits for Stephen Graham. He really is at the top of his game and is without doubt the finest British actor of his generation, IMO.

6 hours ago, Heartofice said:

There is a point in all the movies where the fights get repetitive and I lose interest.

That's why the fight scenes in Upgrade are so great. Like nothing I've ever seen before. 

I watched the final Big Bang Theory. It was...sweet. The show really ever made me laugh in the early seasons but I kept watching (until the last 3 seasons or so when I'd tune in sporadic at best) because I liked the characters and wanted to continue to watch them grow.

The last moments of the season finale of Young Sheldon actually gave me the feels more than the last TBBT.

12 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Binge watching the last season of veep, I fucking love jonah. If I had to rank who the worst people are I'd struggle to separate them, bunch of cunts. 

That actually sounds like a fun exercise. :lol:

I’d probably say Kent is furthest down the list. I loved in the finale that he

refused to continue working for Selina if she brought Jonah on as VP

15 hours ago, State Trooper said:

Indeed it was, utterly brilliant though. Shane Meadows has done it again, and I've run out of plaudits for Stephen Graham. He really is at the top of his game and is without doubt the finest British actor of his generation, IMO.

Agree with Graham. He's not afraid to take on challenging roles ("save me" springs to mind). And i think most people would be surprised he was al capone in boardwalk empire as he's completely different in that.

I'm curious how "the virtues" is made. A lot of the scenes feel unscripted. If not then the script and actors are doing a great job. The pub scene in particular felt like they were using real people who were locals to the pub.

It's a bit like "patrick melrose" from the opposite side of the social/financial spectrum.

17 minutes ago, red snow said:

Agree with Graham. He's not afraid to take on challenging roles ("save me" springs to mind). And i think most people would be surprised he was al capone in boardwalk empire as he's completely different in that.

I'm curious how "the virtues" is made. A lot of the scenes feel unscripted. If not then the script and actors are doing a great job. The pub scene in particular felt like they were using real people who were locals to the pub.

It's a bit like "patrick melrose" from the opposite side of the social/financial spectrum.

They were using real locals according to an interciew with Graham. I still remember him as Tommy from Snatch.

13 hours ago, drawkcabi said:

I watched the final Big Bang Theory. It was...sweet. The show really ever made me laugh in the early seasons but I kept watching (until the last 3 seasons or so when I'd tune in sporadic at best) because I liked the characters and wanted to continue to watch them grow.

The last moments of the season finale of Young Sheldon actually gave me the feels more than the last TBBT.

Same - I was flipping around and saw that TBBT was on for an hour and took a shot that it was the series finale.  Because of one line in there - which really has nothing to do with the series - it will be one of my favorite finales.  "Do you wanna" - because that's how I proposed.

I hadn't seen any episodes in a couple seasons, but it was nice to see the closure and the final scenes.

Archived