Watch, Watched, Watching: Getting Sneaky

RedEyedGhost

I didn’t even know TBBT was still running. I never followed it, but I would stop on it from time to time when there was nothing else on and I had nothing better to do.

I wonder which will hold up better, TBBT or HIMYM.  

6 hours ago, red snow said:

Agree with Graham. He's not afraid to take on challenging roles ("save me" springs to mind). And i think most people would be surprised he was al capone in boardwalk empire as he's completely different in that.

I'm curious how "the virtues" is made. A lot of the scenes feel unscripted. If not then the script and actors are doing a great job. The pub scene in particular felt like they were using real people who were locals to the pub.

It's a bit like "patrick melrose" from the opposite side of the social/financial spectrum.

Agreed, Save Me was brilliant as well.

As for the scenes, this is something Shane Meadows does in all his films, sets out a basic script for the actors and let's them improvise as and when they feel the need. It's even more noticeable in This is England, which if you haven't seen it, also stars SG and is fantastic as well.

12 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

TBBT is the worst thing ever so it's definitely going to be HIMYM.

I honestly don’t get why people love or hate either show. Both are mildly funny at best, hyper repetitive shows. But each has huge fan bases so what do I know…..

10 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I honestly don’t get why people love or hate either show. Both are mildly funny at best, hyper repetitive shows. But each has huge fan bases so what do I know…..

Its probably the huge fan base that irritates some. It certainly irritates me that it became so popular whilst being so utterly unfunny and bland. But then those are the types of shows that appeal to people because you don't have to concentrate too much on it and it doesn't require any commitment. 

I'm over it now, I used to hate it, but can now happily have it on without grumbling too much.

19 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Its probably the huge fan base that irritates some. It certainly irritates me that it became so popular whilst being so utterly unfunny and bland. But then those are the types of shows that appeal to people because you don't have to concentrate too much on it and it doesn't require any commitment. 

I'm over it now, I used to hate it, but can now happily have it on without grumbling too much.

I kind of feel it breaks down like this:

Nerd Culture: We want validation!

Television: Here’s a show that revolves around nerd culture.

Nerd Culture: Thanks, this is kind of cool.

Non-Nerds: Hey this is kind of funny.

Nerd Culture: OMFG this show sucks!

37 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I kind of feel it breaks down like this:

Nerd Culture: We want validation!

Television: Here’s a show that revolves around nerd culture.

Nerd Culture: Thanks, this is kind of cool.

Non-Nerds: Hey this is kind of funny.

Nerd Culture: OMFG this show sucks!

No, coz, like, I have no problem whatsoever with mainstream nerd culture. It's because TBBT pretends to be a celebration of nerd culture but it's really a mean-spirited pisstake- I mean who would ever want to be Sheldon? It perpetuates all the stereotypes.

I could be wrong because (1) I've never watched a lot of it and (2) I have mates who love it including one who just made a heartfelt post about how much it made him feel able to be more comfortable being a nerd in public, but I haaaaaaaaaate it.

23 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

No, coz, like, I have no problem whatsoever with mainstream nerd culture. It's because TBBT pretends to be a celebration of nerd culture but it's really a mean-spirited pisstake- I mean who would ever want to be Sheldon? It perpetuates all the stereotypes.

I could be wrong because (1) I've never watched a lot of it and (2) I have mates who love it including one who just made a heartfelt post about how much it made him feel able to be more comfortable being a nerd in public, but I haaaaaaaaaate it.

Nobody wants to be him at the start of the show, but he grows as a person throughout it, and it sounds like they did a good job finishing his character arc.

Setting him aside, from what I’ve seen, the rest of the cast seems like a fairly accurate portrayal of some nerds. And I think the show has enable some nerds to feel more comfortable in their own skin. I was a preppy jock in HS, but I was also a closet nerd. Nerd culture didn’t start getting broader acceptance until I was finishing up college. I might still do things like playing MTG today if nerd culture was more accepted when I was a bit younger.

The characters in Big Bang bare little resemblance to any nerd I’ve ever met. It’s such a detached view of so called nerds that’s its basically just an attack. 

I feel like it’s looking in from outside at people it doesn’t care about or understand, and going away and laughing at them from afar.

The humour from the show seems to only exist by just shouting out ‘things that nerds like’ and so through recognition of brands like Star Trek the audience will pay themselves on the back and laugh.

I mean Sheldon clearly is meant to have some form of Autism, but it’s not really mentioned, just laughed at, and it’s also a desperately bad portrayal of the condition, maybe on purpose so they can’t be critiscised for it.

It also features an Indian character that surely rates higher than Apu in the racial stereotype stakes.

So it being popular makes it annoying,  but it’s also at its heart a pretty annoying show. That it seems to have attracted a bunch of people claiming to be nerds because they get the references is part of the problem 

8 hours ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

They were using real locals according to an interciew with Graham. I still remember him as Tommy from Snatch.

That makes perfect sense. They seemed "too real".

4 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

The characters in Big Bang bare little resemblance to any nerd I’ve ever met. It’s such a detached view of so called nerds that’s its basically just an attack. 

I feel like it’s looking in from outside at people it doesn’t care about or understand, and going away and laughing at them from afar.

The humour from the show seems to only exist by just shouting out ‘things that nerds like’ and so through recognition of brands like Star Trek the audience will pay themselves on the back and laugh.

I mean Sheldon clearly is meant to have some form of Autism, but it’s not really mentioned, just laughed at, and it’s also a desperately bad portrayal of the condition, maybe on purpose so they can’t be critiscised for it.

It also features an Indian character that surely rates higher than Apu in the racial stereotype stakes.

So it being popular makes it annoying,  but it’s also at its heart a pretty annoying show. That it seems to have attracted a bunch of people claiming to be nerds because they get the references is part of the problem 

I liked some of the geeky humour eg will Wheaton and the uni/research parts but always really disliked the characters which are not just stereotypes but pretty lousy human beings. The "not sheldon" guy always struck me as someone portraying a geek with disdain/contempt.

It's probably why i prefer Archer/sunny in/arrested development type shows where the characters are intentionally horrible people.

3 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

I just honestly can't do shows with laugh tracks.  Arrested Development and a dozen great shows since have ruined them for me.

35 minutes ago, briantw said:

I just honestly can't do shows with laugh tracks.  Arrested Development and a dozen great shows since have ruined them for me.

Go watch some Youtube videos where they strip the laugh tracks off. The shows often times become unwatchable. 

Gonna start Mindhunter tonight after hearing really good things about it.

Tried watching an old one last night called The Last Panthers, about diamond smuggling. Started off OK, but steadily became worse, jumping all over the place etc, plus some of the characters weren't convincing in the slightest.

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

Go watch some Youtube videos where they strip the laugh tracks off. The shows often times become unwatchable. 

Well yeah.  They are structured and timed around the laughter.  Taking it away would screw up the pacing and I imagine there'd be a lot of awkward pauses.

Saw John Wick 3. Loved it. These movies are such a blast. Halle Berry’s dogs were fucking awesome. Think they might have been my favorite part. The Asian guy was also a fun adversary for John Wick. Recognized a couple of his guys from The Raid movies, too. This franchise continues to deliver for me. 

4 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Saw John Wick 3. Loved it. These movies are such a blast. Halle Berry’s dogs were fucking awesome. Think they might have been my favorite part. The Asian guy was also a fun adversary for John Wick. Recognized a couple of his guys from The Raid movies, too. This franchise continues to deliver for me. 

agreed on all points.... I cringed a little when I found our HB was going to be in the movie, but her part was fine, and the dogs were awesome... this just might be the best of the three JW flicks

7 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Recognized a couple of his guys from The Raid movies, too.

I didn't realise that Mad Dog was in JW3 but now that I do I'm even more mad that it doesn't release here in Germany till next week. Even if it's a presumably more minor part.

Archived