Watch, Watched, Watching: Getting Sneaky

RedEyedGhost

4 hours ago, KingintheNorth4 said:

I'm watching one of my favorite martial arts films, Enter the Dragon. It has one of my favorite film quotes. "Man, you come straight out of a comic book!" 

My man :cheers:

EtD is in my eyes clearly the most important martial arts films ever made, and I don't think anything will ever replace it. SO many tropes were created in that film.

Binged Fleabag over the last 3 days, and it's as good as NPR made it out to be. It's hilarious and sad and uplifting in weird ways. Phoebe Waller-Bridge is phenomenal. 

ETA: I had NO FUCKING IDEA she was the  voice of L3-37 in Solo, and she was awesome in that too. 

2 hours ago, Kalbear said:

Binged Fleabag over the last 3 days, and it's as good as NPR made it out to be. It's hilarious and sad and uplifting in weird ways. Phoebe Waller-Bridge is phenomenal. 

ETA: I had NO FUCKING IDEA she was the  voice of L3-37 in Solo, and she was awesome in that too. 

Yep, Phoebe Waller-Bridge is excellent, Killing Eve is also one of her projects (though i think she wasnt a writer for S2, not sure). I loved her in Solo too, i personally found L3-37 one of the highlights of the film

And she is involved in the next Bond so have faith!

On 5/21/2019 at 7:19 AM, Astromech said:

BBC's Les Miserables was fanatastic. David Oyelowo's Javert was the first Javert I actually felt pity for. Great cast, great adaptation of the novel. My only issue is Paris scenes obviously filmed in Brussels.

Totally agree.... this was fantastic.... and I never expected such range out of Lily Collins... epic works of fiction like this really can't be done justice with a movie.... a miniseries is --IMO-- the much better format..... I would love to see The Count of Monte Cristo done as a mini series too....

also...S3 of Sneaky Pete was probably its best season yet.... and I'll also add that I thought John Wick 3 was the best of the series

56 minutes ago, Martini Sigil said:

also...S3 of Sneaky Pete was probably its best season yet.... and I'll also add that I thought John Wick 3 was the best of the series

Hmm...Sneaky Pete S3 was probably my least favorite tbh. The change of setting to California didn’t really work that well for me. 

John Wick 3 was amazing. Definitely better than 2. Not sure I’d put it over the original though. I really do love this franchise. Keanu Reeves is so easy to like too. Guy has had a lot of tragedy in his life, but he still seems like an amazing person. And he puts in so much work to make these movies feel authentic. 

11 hours ago, Martini Sigil said:

Totally agree.... this was fantastic.... and I never expected such range out of Lily Collins... epic works of fiction like this really can't be done justice with a movie.... a miniseries is --IMO-- the much better format..... I would love to see The Count of Monte Cristo done as a mini series too....

I still have to watch the finale of S3 of Sneaky Pete but I'm not sure I put it above S1. Bryan Cranston was such an excellent villain. I'll have to see how it all comes together.

Agreed 1000% on The Count of Monte Cristo. I hope BBC picks that shit up. Would make my year.

12 hours ago, Martini Sigil said:

What did you think of War and Peace? I enjoyed that and Les Mis, the latter, as you indicated, was excellent. So i’m very much hoping they continue with these adaptations.

To my shame i have never read the Count of Monte Cristo

Watched the first two episodes of S2 Un Bore Mercher. Enjoyed them and looking forward to seeing how the trial plot plays out, but so far not as gripped as I was by the start of S1. 

Could do with fewer power ballads. However, Eve Myles remains absolutely mesmerizing. 

19 hours ago, Martini Sigil said:

You may be in luck:

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/news/count-monte-cristo-tv-adaptation-series-cast-poldark-team-a8471721.html 

unless that ha been scrapped.

The Sally Wainwright production I've enjoyed so much on HBO, the series, Gentleman Jack, has been renewed for a second season! 

This first season's 6th and final episode airs on the 27th.

I saw Suspiria last night and man that movie sticks with you - I've been thinking about it all day today, and I know not everyone is fan of Yorke's album, but I really liked the music too. I'm not a big horror guy, so I'm surprised I'm as taken by the movie as I am, but the direction is masterful and there's *so* much to unpack, I might even do a rewatch this weekend. 

I haven't seen the original but I might figure out a way to catch it at some point. 

Watched Dragged Across Concrete. I liked it a lot. Good crime drama from director S. Craig Zahler (Bone Tomahawk & Brawl in Cell Block 99). Kind of a slow burn for the first half but once it gets going it was really tense. It’s a bit more subdued than his other movies. Really like his style though and will definitely check out anything he does going forward. I’ve enjoyed all three of his movies so far. 

12 hours ago, Raja said:

I saw Suspiria last night and man that movie sticks with you - I've been thinking about it all day today, and I know not everyone is fan of Yorke's album, but I really liked the music too. I'm not a big horror guy, so I'm surprised I'm as taken by the movie as I am, but the direction is masterful and there's *so* much to unpack, I might even do a rewatch this weekend. 

I haven't seen the original but I might figure out a way to catch it at some point. 

I loved it too, and that ending is fucking wild. It’s a slow burn that definitely pays off. 

I didn’t watch Veep live so I’m catching up. I’m on episode 4 and Jonah is a complete madman. Pathetically enough his character is way too believable now. Roger Furlong ‘s only scene so far at the country dance thing was unreal. He steals every scene he’s in.

It sucks that it’s done now.

Dead to me on Netflix.I would recommend this as a good comedy drama,to me at least on a par with Little White Lies.Comedy is actually funny and the leads deliver the poignant scenes so well too.

..."That's man to man not man in man?"

On 5/23/2019 at 9:50 AM, HelenaExMachina said:

To my shame i have never read the Count of Monte Cristo

It's one of my favorite books. I'm assuming you've seen one of the movies though? The one from 2002 wasn't awful, but good lord did they butcher the end. CoMC is not a fucking fairy tale ending.........

Archived