Watch, Watched, Watching: Getting Sneaky

RedEyedGhost

I saw Chernobyl and...it was fine? I liked a lot of it, I think it's done really well, but the english accents took me out of it. I know Mazin has addressed this before, but when you're being authentic in every other way, it sorta rings false when I hear those accents. Other than that, I have few complaints about the show.

I just think it would have had more of an impact on me had it been subtitled, but oh well. It's a decent series, but it doesn't go to the top tier for me ( especially when it comes on the back of something like When they see us, which I watched a day prior to starting chernobyl) 

On 6/3/2019 at 10:54 AM, HelenaExMachina said:

Dead to Me was a really bingeable watch. Really liked the season and how it ended. Hopefully gets a second.

Still enjoying iZombie as my week-to-week watch. 

Agree, watched last 4 episodes last night, 2nd season already greenlit. However if they try to hide what happened at the end of s1 it will be so lame. 

13 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

What a fucked up movie. I watched it over the weekend and still don’t know how I really feel about it. It was brutal, over-the-top and just decent I guess. My younger self would’ve enjoyed it much more probably.

I’ve never seen Logan Browning in anything before and thought she was good.

I watched it again last night. It’s a lot easier to take in the second time around. I really like it, but a note to others who have yet to see it, there is about a 15 minute section that’s just hard to watch.

Also,

Spoiler

Is it fair to say this movie has like five plot twists?

Watched Mid90s last night. Pretty good directorial debut for Jonah Hill. Really made me nostalgic as I was the same age as the main character at that time. It’s definitely worth watching if you like coming-of-age movies. 

18 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Good decision by Amazon.  My quick review upthread on Sneaky Pete said it had run its course now.  It was already too contrived to keep manufacturing fuck-ups for Pete to dance around and through.  The finale of S3 felt like a series finale anyway.

My wife and I are enjoying Good Omens so far.  We've watched the first three eps.  It's light, funny and the screen version seems to include a few updates to fit current times (at least based on my fuzzy memory of the book). At first it relied too much on the narrator to deliver the usual Pratchett rambling (but funny) introduction.  Once the characters of Crowley and Aziraphale were established, the narration was reduced.

On 6/5/2019 at 4:13 AM, Astromech said:

When They See Us is excellent. The settlement the Central Park Five received was way too small imo.

Just saw the first episode. Truly excellent so far. A nightmare. A great watch if you are interested in the dark side of the American justice system.

Finally caught up on Pure s1 after my dvr botched the recordings last year (couldn't possibly have been user error). Mennonite pastor has to deal drugs in order to protect his family. Now on to s2.

49 minutes ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

‘City On A Hill’: Showtime Offers First Episode Of Kevin Bacon Drama For Free Online

That's clever promo work. Would have been Even better if it wasn't region restricted which is utterly pointless as they've made it incredibly easy for people to rip and stream unofficially.

6 minutes ago, red snow said:

That's clever promo work. Would have been Even better if it wasn't region restricted which is utterly pointless as they've made it incredibly easy for people to rip and stream unofficially.

It's even easier than that.I used ZenMate (add-on proxy for firefox), selected region (US)....and magic! :P

Watched Godzilla at a matinee price this week. Still was debating paying that much but I had a craving for some popcorn. Even if you like these movies don't pay full price. It is 2 hours long and feels like it's 4 hours long, not kidding. There are a few things that are so poorly done that it takes you out of the experience.

Spoiler

Some of the military characters are helping defend a plane or the underwater fortress or both, the same characters (Ice Cubes son) are also a crew that leaves it to storm a stronghold. Then when the whole group is in the giant plane leaving that Antartica scene heading to a city in Mexico I think, they mention how they are evacuating it already and cut to that, and there is that same couple people, on the ground in Mexico and leading the evacuation. This same group jumps ahead again to the Boston scene somehow.

So the monster scenes and effects were pretty cool, but the directing, editing and story sucked ass.  On a good note, the popcorn was awesome.

I'm 3 episodes into the first season of The Good Fight, and it's *so* good. If this show wasn't hard to access, I feel like it would have had so much more buzz when it was released. 

I love that it's got a fairly diverse cast. 

15 hours ago, Martell Spy said:

City on a Hill sounds great. Was going to see Dark Phoenix, but the reviews have been savage. I'm a fan of the X-men movies generally, but after what happened last time I will take the warning and see this one on DVD.

Same here. I lament the fact that in the 90s i was an x-men obsessive with the cartoon and comics. Obviously loved the films beyond their flaws but apocalypse was awful in a "this is a waste of time in the background let alone paying for it"

At least there's a season of Legion left and some potential with the comics coming up. 

In a way it's good for Disney as much like with star wars they just have to make an x-men film that isn't atrocious.

Archived