Watch, Watched, Watching: Getting Sneaky

RedEyedGhost

6 hours ago, red snow said:

Same here. I lament the fact that in the 90s i was an x-men obsessive with the cartoon and comics. Obviously loved the films beyond their flaws but apocalypse was awful in a "this is a waste of time in the background let alone paying for it"

At least there's a season of Legion left and some potential with the comics coming up. 

In a way it's good for Disney as much like with star wars they just have to make an x-men film that isn't atrocious.

The 90's Xmen cartoon was fantastic, all the more so that they were under certain rules and restrictions that go along with being a kid's cartoon in the 90's. I was never a big comics reader, but that cartoon was my gateway drug to comic movies and shows. It even gave you a sense that there wasn't just this Xmen story, but an entire Marvel world, by showing cameos and stuff of Spiderman and others that were not really part of the Xmen story. It was the MCU, already there in the 90's.

And the early Xmen movies did a great job of capturing a lot of that. The only thing they were really lacking was Gambit.

8 hours ago, Triskele said:

I don't have to turn stuff off because I find it too difficult often.  Virtually never.  

The first episode of When They See Us was so genuinely upsetting that I seriously almost turned it off because it turned into an almost physical discomfort.  I made it through, and it's of excellent quality.  But fuck was that painful.  

But now I feel sort of steeled to go on and see what else is coming.  

Brace yourself for the final episode.

I saw John Wick 3: Parabellum this weekend. Holy shit, what a great film. Far superior to the second one and action wise just as good as the first. 

In fact, I'd say it is almost perfect if it wasn't for two minor quibbles:

Spoiler

1. Jerome Flynn's accent took me out of the movie. I don't know whether he was attempting Faux-Italian, but shit that was painful to hear. Glad one of the dogs bit him in the groin.

2. The master-ninja was a bit too much of a fanboy in the end. They should have turned that down a notch, especially since the two fight scenes that preceded his final confrontation with John Wick were much cooler.

The last episode of When they see us is tough, but it has so many beautiful moments about the four men that I haven't been able to stop thinking about it. I need to go watch it again. 

I watched The Cold Blue a HBO documentary covering the US Army 8th Air Force and the air war in Europe during WWII. The documentary pieces together unused(as well as used) footage from William Wyler's documentary film, The Memphis Belle: A Story of a Flying Fortress with interviews from men who served in the air war during WWII. 

10 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Big Little Lies returns! (Tonight, for us Brits) 

And I can finally binge Killing Eve too :) 

I'm a bit hesitant to watch s2 of BLL. I felt it ended perfectly with the first season. I will probably tune in more for the performances than the story, though. I couldn't find one weak link in the entire cast.

5 minutes ago, Astromech said:

I'm a bit hesitant to watch s2 of BLL. I felt it ended perfectly with the first season. I will probably tune in more for the performances than the story, though. I couldn't find one weak link in the entire cast.

From the vague explanations/synopsis of the plot that have been circulated i think that on paper it sounds like a natural continuation so i’m not too worried on that front. Inwouldnt have minded the season one ending being the end altogether, but exploring the aftermath and the impact on the character’s lives is enticing me.

Agree on the cast. And they’ve added Streep too....Guess she wants an emmy for her collection

8 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

From the vague explanations/synopsis of the plot that have been circulated i think that on paper it sounds like a natural continuation so i’m not too worried on that front. Inwouldnt have minded the season one ending being the end altogether, but exploring the aftermath and the impact on the character’s lives is enticing me.

Agree on the cast. And they’ve added Streep too....Guess she wants an emmy for her collection

I’m rewatching season 1 now and was wondering this. The trailers makes it look like at least some of it happens right after. The little kids are obviously gonna be like 2.5 years older IRL so that might be a little weird. 

I finally watched Beast. Jessie Buckley is great per usual and I agree with some posters that said:

Spoiler

They wished it ended 5 minutes sooner(I’m assuming at the beach restaurant). The whole car crash thing was kind of outlandish and dumb, and her shell-shocked reaction at the dinner table was just so perfect. I didn’t quite understand that after she choked him on the road they played dramatic, almost evil music while she stands up? It didn’t seem to fit to me.

On 6/5/2019 at 9:44 AM, Raja said:

I saw Chernobyl and...it was fine? I liked a lot of it, I think it's done really well, but the english accents took me out of it. I know Mazin has addressed this before, but when you're being authentic in every other way, it sorta rings false when I hear those accents. Other than that, I have few complaints about the show.

I just think it would have had more of an impact on me had it been subtitled, but oh well. It's a decent series, but it doesn't go to the top tier for me ( especially when it comes on the back of something like When they see us, which I watched a day prior to starting chernobyl) 

My first choice would have also been Russian/Ukrainian with subs, but since they went with English, I’m glad they didn’t use fake Russian accents. In some ways, for me, this immersed me further into the show. The actors speaking in their original accents simulates how people in the USSR probably sounded to each other, a detail I wouldn’t have picked up in Russian because I don’t have the language proficiency. I loved Bacho’s “Georgian” accent. Then again, a Russian speaker would probably have a different experience. 

Instead of calling each other Comrade all the time, though, I think they should’ve used patronymics too, as that would have been more accurate of their characters. The writer said he thought English speakers would have been confused by patronymics. But he explained how an RBMK reactor works, so I’m sure he could have made the patronymics work if he wanted to. :P

10 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

I’m rewatching season 1 now and was wondering this. The trailers makes it look like at least some of it happens right after. The little kids are obviously gonna be like 2.5 years older IRL so that might be a little weird. 

I finally watched Beast. Jessie Buckley is great per usual and I agree with some posters that said:

Reveal hidden contents

They wished it ended 5 minutes sooner(I’m assuming at the beach restaurant). The whole car crash thing was kind of outlandish and dumb, and her shell-shocked reaction at the dinner table was just so perfect. I didn’t quite understand that after she choked him on the road they played dramatic, almost evil music while she stands up? It didn’t seem to fit to me.

Without spoilers, the first episode kicks off a few months after the incident. For a little context its the first day of the new school year.

Thinking on it, i believe most of the trailer was stuff from episode one...

I watched the premiere of City on a Hill. It was ok, but I felt like I've seen it all before in other movies set in Boston. Kevin Bacon is terrific as usual, though. I'll give it a chance to see if it develops its own identity and doesn't feel like a rehash.

11 hours ago, Triskele said:

How rude of no one to answer this urgent question.

I would argue not really, because half the fun is discussing said film to signal your wit and good taste.  Without this what have you accomplished?  Although in today's attention span deprived world perhaps simply staying in the chair for ~2 hours is an accomplishment blacked out or otherwise.  Not everyone can do it.  

Quite rude indeed. The movie in question was Overlord. It was kind of terrible, so I downed like three scotches and lit up a bowl. I don’t recall a single thing other than the cool opening.

Saw Long Shot with Charlize Theron and Seth Rogen yesterday. After a glowing review in the Guardian I had very high expectations which it did not completely match, but it is still a very enjoyable movie. A bit too crude from time to time, but at the end of the day Theron can really make everything work (amazing how she can play a Furiosa character and a Charlotte Field and is perfect as both). She's convincing on every level and Seth Rogen basically is Seth Rogen like he always is. The film had a bit of a hipsterish feel to it in the way it was directed which I really liked. Truly not your standard rom-com.

10 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

For anyone interested, a digitally remastered Matrix will be shown in cinemas this year as part of the 20 year anniversary

:eek:

Thanks for making me feel old today, Helena...

Gentleman Jack (HBO) concluded it's first season on Monday night.  Along with Bosch and Billions, this has been by far the best television this year, at least so far.  Suranne Jones is just frackin' brilliant as Anne Lister.  The rest of the cast is equally good, though I crack up every time Anne's sister Marianne is on screen, because this is the actor who plays Got's Yara Greyjoy.  A more different role from Yara for Gemma Whelan as Marianne one cannot get.  So glad there's a second season in the offing.

As Pride Month watching, trust me, this beats the too twee fantasia of netflix's Tales of the City all to pieces -- if one so wishes to watch thinking that way.  Which I didn't.  Which again shows just how very good Gentleman Jack is, because one doesn't feel one is watching a story of being a lesbian.  One is watching a story of how difficult it is for a particular, individual woman who isn't conventionally female in the 1830's, who possesses enormous funds of energy, self-confidence, intelligence, capacity for love, friendship and family, and entrepreneurial gifts, to make a productive life with scope for employing all of her qualities.

Archived