Watch, Watched, Watching: Getting Sneaky

RedEyedGhost

7 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

Hide contents

she never was the most likeable character - the Kith and Peter stuff was bad enough, but they threw away every scintilla of likeability that she did have the moment she took Salinger on as a client.

Gads, yes.

Nothing is really grabbing me at the moment.  We just started Billions after many recommendations but it's only so-so after three episodes.  There's basically two camps of power-hungry, narcissistic, bullying assholes, but only one of those camps is on the right side of the law.  I'm not sure from where the viewing pleasure should stem.  Especially if this is protracted over several seasons.

Over the weekend my wife did a rewatch of Sahara, not the Matthew McConnaughey movie from a Clive Cussler book, this was the 1980's Brooke Shields movie with severely outdated ethnic stereotypes.  Apparently it's a classic.  I countered the following night with a rewatch of the original Trainspotting; still a great movie.

This golden age of TV contains a lot of repetitive, formulaic pablum. 

2 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

There's basically two camps of power-hungry, narcissistic, bullying assholes, but only one of those camps is on the right side of the law.  I'm not sure from where the viewing pleasure should stem.  Especially if this is protracted over several seasons.

There are no right side of the law people here, with perhaps, slightly, one or two individuals, and that doesn't matter.

But these people are highly entertaining (for those of us who find them so, and who like that kind of writing), unlike HBO's Succession.  Now these figures are all vile, and not a single one is interesting to look at or listen to.

1 hour ago, Zorral said:

There are no right side of the law people here, with perhaps, slightly, one or two individuals, and that doesn't matter.

But these people are highly entertaining (for those of us who find them so, and who like that kind of writing), unlike HBO's Succession.  Now these figures are all vile, and not a single one is interesting to look at or listen to.

I thought the District Attorney & SEC would be, by definition, on the right side of the law, but perhaps I judged too soon. 

1 hour ago, Iskaral Pust said:

I thought the District Attorney & SEC would be, by definition, on the right side of the law, but perhaps I judged too soon. 

This is another got -- one always judges too soon, and the alliances, etc. always change.  Betrayal and lies and switcheroos are the game.

Not watching a whole bunch, TBH, but I have made time to re-watch ST:DS9, which continues to fascinate me FOR THE UMPTEENTH TIME.  

Will definitely watch "Big Little Lies" soon.  Am completely mesmerized by "Chernobyl," but can only watch it for limited stretches.  Otherwise, I become way too depressed by what those poor folks suffered.  

Oh, I also enjoyed "What we do in the Shadows."  It's outrageously silly fun.  Slapstick vampires.  

20 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Nothing is really grabbing me at the moment.  We just started Billions after many recommendations but it's only so-so after three episodes.  There's basically two camps of power-hungry, narcissistic, bullying assholes, but only one of those camps is on the right side of the law.  I'm not sure from where the viewing pleasure should stem.  Especially if this is protracted over several seasons.

They're all horrible people in different ways but I tend to find them really entertaining. Also, Billions is does a very good job of eating through plot so it never feels slow. Good show to binge as it's just entertaining. Best character in the show is Maggie Siff (and a character introduced in later seasons). If you're not really enjoying it early on, not sure it's for you since the acting (no one eats up scenery in a monologue like Paul Giamatti), writing, pace and style of the show stays mostly the same even though plot is chewed through, alliances shift and multiple traps are set by all sides.

17 hours ago, Zorral said:

Succession got really good about 4-5 episodes in. Horrible people sure, but people none the less and Succession leaned into that in a way it didn't earlier in the season.

1 hour ago, Mexal said:

They're all horrible people in different ways but I tend to find them really entertaining. Also, Billions is does a very good job of eating through plot so it never feels slow. Good show to binge as it's just entertaining. Best character in the show is Maggie Siff (and a character introduced in later seasons). If you're not really enjoying it early on, not sure it's for you since the acting (no one eats up scenery in a monologue like Paul Giamatti), writing, pace and style of the show stays mostly the same even though plot is chewed through, alliances shift and multiple traps are set by all sides.

Succession got really good about 4-5 episodes in. Horrible people sure, but people none the less and Succession leaned into that in a way it didn't earlier in the season.

Maggie Siff's character is the best.

I did watch the entire first Succession season, actually. And their clothes are just the most ugly unattractive possible -- and these people spend millions on them!  Clothes showing the man or woman, as it were!  Who knew Matthew Macfadyen could look such a slime ball?  :D

Saw Bad Times at El Royale on the airplane the other day. It's like it was made for that kind of experience, I really enjoyed the film eventhough it was definitely uneven and slightly disjointed. Great performances all around, was a particular fan of 

Spoiler

Chris Hemsworth, Dakota Johnson and the guy from Catch-22. The other actors were great as well (although we got to little of John Hamm), but those three stood out. 

For the rest it is sort of a silly movie. I do like it however :D

19 hours ago, Tears of Lys said:

Oh, I also enjoyed "What we do in the Shadows."  It's outrageously silly fun.  Slapstick vampires.  

I just finished watching that as well. I think it's been a good first season, some great jokes in every episode. While the film is also great, I think the premise is perhaps best suited to a TV series.

I went to see John Wick 3 yesterday and I liked it. It was good and very entertaining for the most part. I'm not sure how I would rank the three movies though. However I didn't think any of the action scenes stood out quite as much as some of the ones from the first two movies. And the shooty bits are pretty boring when compared to the hand-to-hand action, so the Marocoo bits didn't really do much for me. I loved Mark Dacascos and it was nice to see he still got the action movie chops. I also loved seeing Cecep Arif Rahman and Yayan Ruhian from the Raid movies pop-up. I still hate the bulletproof suit though.

I've also been watching Warrior which is really good. I read a book about the New York Tong wars last year and it is a really interesting subject and something that I thought had a lot of potential for a show or movie of this sort, so I was really happy that they made this. The fight scenes are really great, I don't know how much of a martial arts background Andrew Koji has and how much is camera trickery, but to me he looks really good in the fights. And of course we have some The Raid alumni here too with Joe Talsim who's just fantastic. However it did feel a bit ridiculous and gratuitous that all major female characters git naked in the first episode. And while I don't dislike the white characters in anyway, they could still all probably be dropped without the show suffering any.

I also watched the first two episodes of Too Old To Die Young. I though the first episode was slow, but the second one was fucking torture.

2 hours ago, GallowKnight said:

I've also been watching Warrior which is really good. I read a book about the New York Tong wars last year and it is a really interesting subject and something that I thought had a lot of potential for a show or movie of this sort, so I was really happy that they made this. The fight scenes are really great, I don't know how much of a martial arts background Andrew Koji has and how much is camera trickery, but to me he looks really good in the fights. And of course we have some The Raid alumni here too with Joe Talsim who's just fantastic. However it did feel a bit ridiculous and gratuitous that all major female characters git naked in the first episode. And while I don't dislike the white characters in anyway, they could still all probably be dropped without the show suffering any.

Warrior was a ton of fun. What Kung Fu could have been had they stuck to Bruce Lee's original idea. Not quite as over-the-top fun as Tropper's other show Banshee, but that was really in a league of its own. I'm already looking forward to s2.

Just tellin' ya' all, who watched Amazon Prime's Omens, from Pratchett and Gaiman's novel, ya' all did it RONG!

Omens is on Netflix!  I know because the Bible tell me so!

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2019/jun/20/petition-netflix-cancel-amazon-prime-good-omens-christian-neil-gaiman-terry-pratchett

More than 20,000 [Christian] supporters have signed a petition in which they say that Good Omens is “another step to make satanism appear normal, light and acceptable”, and “mocks God’s wisdom”. God, they complain, is “voiced by a woman” – Frances McDormand – the antichrist is a “normal kid” and, most importantly, “this type of video makes light of Truth, Error, Good and Evil, and destroys the barriers of horror that society still has for the devil”. They are calling on Netflix to cancel the show.

19 hours ago, williamjm said:

I just finished watching that as well. I think it's been a good first season, some great jokes in every episode. While the film is also great, I think the premise is perhaps best suited to a TV series.

12 hours ago, Triskele said:

I must ask:

Do you refer here to the film or the show?  Be sure to see the other whichever it may be.  

I've never seen the film.  When was it released?  

1 hour ago, Tears of Lys said:

I've never seen the film.  When was it released?  

It was back in 2014. The premise is fairly similar to the TV series, four vampires sharing a house, although in the film it is in Wellington, New Zealand rather than Staten Island. Three of the vampires show up in the TV series as part of the Vampire Council. I'd definitely recommend it if you've enjoyed the TV series.

9 hours ago, Astromech said:

Warrior was a ton of fun. What Kung Fu could have been had they stuck to Bruce Lee's original idea. Not quite as over-the-top fun as Tropper's other show Banshee, but that was really in a league of its own. I'm already looking forward to s2.

Yeah, it was great. Nice to see a period peice from a different angle. And it's still crawling with a shit ton of testosterone like in banshee. The villains all have legit reasons and don't see themselves as bad eg irish guy protecting Irish people's jobs.

36 minutes ago, Red Tiger said:

Watched the San Junipero episode of Black Mirror.

Now that shit was beautiful, a happy, romantic episode that felt organic and believable, regardless of the tech.

I doubt it will ever be displaced as my top BM episode

Archived