Watch, Watched, Watching: Getting Sneaky

RedEyedGhost

On 6/24/2019 at 7:51 PM, Zorral said:

No date as yet.  Which probably isn't going to be announced until they wrap season 4 shooting, which they're deep into at this time.  I'm kind of impatient, considering how Aelswith, all too realistically relentless in her narrow-mindedness to exclude, and / or punish anyone who isn't christian or whom she perceives in any way an enemy, at the end has isolated King-to-be Edward from anyone who can help hang on to the crown, while surrounding him with rivals from his father-in-law to his brother-in-law.  Not to mention an army of Danes still chomping on the Wessex borders.

https://www.ibtimes.com/last-kingdom-season-4-alexander-dreymon-films-action-sequence-eats-popsicle-2802645

This one has a video of the actors on season 4 set, throwing verbal kiss-kiss-kiss to we, the anticipatory audience:

https://www.radiotimes.com/news/on-demand/2019-06-24/the-last-kingdom-season-4-netflix-release-date-cast-trailer/

This is a very nice piece, filled with information and photos, as well as a comical video bit of the actor who plays Aelswith doing something that the character Aelswith would probably have her executed for.

Included toward the bottom is a very long video sort-of interview with the actors who play Uhtred, Brida, the prince of Mercia and Aethelwold -- and that actor is as annoying and egotistical as his character!  He insists on doing all the talking.

https://www.whats-on-netflix.com/news/the-last-kingdom-season-4-everything-we-know-so-far-06-19/

Thanks Zorral! Good to get my fix from time to time.

3 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

Chris Stuckmann’s review (spoiler free) of Midsommar is up. Sounds like it doesn’t quite match the quality of Heredity, which is disappointing. I’ll probably still try to see it opening weekend though. 

Saw this review yesterday and I think it might well have put me off the movie. I was mixed on Hereditary, thought it went off the rails a bit at the end and didn't live up to its promise. Midsommar looked interesting, but mainly because I wanted to know if it was a clever take on Wicker Man or just a sort of rip off. I'm not sure what it is right now but Stuckmann didn't seem all that enthused by it.

I've been predicting this for quite a while now, and it's just about here:

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2019/jun/27/streaming-tv-is-about-to-get-very-expensive-heres-why

The Netflix model was great for viewers, but it couldn’t last. The content creators got greedy and scared, and now they’re determined to drag things back to the bad old ways. They will force everyone to pay for everything separately, and the subscriber base will split, and the providers will have to recoup the money they are spending to take on Netflix – such as the $500m that NBCUniversal spent to get The Office back, the $250m Amazon is spending on a Lord of the Rings series and the $500m that Warner just spent to win the services of JJ Abrams – which means that subscriptions will rise. Make no mistake: we’re the ones likely to get stiffed here. The golden age of television may be going strong, but the golden age of streaming is dead.

4 hours ago, Zorral said:

I've been predicting this for quite a while now, and it's just about here:

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2019/jun/27/streaming-tv-is-about-to-get-very-expensive-heres-why

It's like anything else. Once someone sees that someone else had a creative idea that is making money, they are going to copy it, make it worse and over pay and then rob the customers to make up for their lack of foresight. 

14 hours ago, Heartofice said:

Saw this review yesterday and I think it might well have put me off the movie. I was mixed on Hereditary, thought it went off the rails a bit at the end and didn't live up to its promise. Midsommar looked interesting, but mainly because I wanted to know if it was a clever take on Wicker Man or just a sort of rip off. I'm not sure what it is right now but Stuckmann didn't seem all that enthused by it.

Eh, I still want to see it, but I'm in the camp that loved Hereditary. I basically going into it expect a darker take on The Wicker Man. Maybe Cage will make a cameo and punch a woman while wearing a bear suit....

8 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Eh, I still want to see it, but I'm in the camp that loved Hereditary. I basically going into it expect a darker take on The Wicker Man. Maybe Cage will make a cameo and punch a woman while wearing a bear suit....

Wait...we both loved Hereditary? Is that allowed? 

I watched the first episode of Cinemax's Jett. Reminds me a lot of an Elmore Leonard novel, but without the excellent dialogue. I love Carla Gugino so I'll keep watching.

I've started watching season 2 of Black Spot (Zone Blanche). 3 episodes in. It's now on Netflix, instead of Amazon. The first 2 episodes were a 2-part thing, and while interesting, it had some silly stuff. But the mystery is still good.

5 hours ago, Corvinus said:

I've started watching season 2 of Black Spot (Zone Blanche). 3 episodes in. It's now on Netflix, instead of Amazon. The first 2 episodes were a 2-part thing, and while interesting, it had some silly stuff. But the mystery is still good.

We are watching this too. Still finishing the first season. I found it quite slow going at first, with each episode feeling very long and slow to me. But I have warmed to the characters and the setting. 

I was actually gonna ask if anyone here was watching Black Spot, as I’m 4 episodes into season 1. It does drag some and I find my mind wandering at times, but the characters and supernatural elements interest me enough to finish the first season at least.

I think I’m gonna rewatch Penny Dreadful right after this. 

On 6/29/2019 at 7:52 AM, Nictarion said:

A couple episodes into Too Old to Die Young, and I’m digging it. I definitely see why it’s been so divisive. If you’re not really a fan of NWR you probably won’t care for it much. I’ve always liked his style though. 

Weird thing is he divides me. Some elements i love and others i hate making it really hard to decide how i feel about any of his films.

12 minutes ago, Ramsay B. said:

I was actually gonna ask if anyone here was watching Black Spot, as I’m 4 episodes into season 1. It does drag some and I find my mind wandering at times, but the characters and supernatural elements interest me enough to finish the first season at least.

I think I’m gonna rewatch Penny Dreadful right after this. 

Black spot certainly seems to work in a "I'll add that to my watch list". Whether it gets watched is another matter. I had no idea it was on prime first in uk. If it was then Netflix has done a much better job of promoting it. To be honest i only looked at it because it had similar imagery to "der pass" which was heavily promoted in Berlin last year and looked good.

2 hours ago, red snow said:

Black spot certainly seems to work in a "I'll add that to my watch list". Whether it gets watched is another matter. I had no idea it was on prime first in uk. If it was then Netflix has done a much better job of promoting it. To be honest i only looked at it because it had similar imagery to "der pass" which was heavily promoted in Berlin last year and looked good.

Speak for the UK. But in the US, I don't think Netflix did any promotions. I googled to see when season 2 was coming and Netflix was mentioned. And then I searched Netflix and found it. To be fair, Amazon hadn't done a great job, either. A friend told me about it.

I caught A Star is Born last night on HBO. That was a very good film. Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper were stellar in it. As was Sam Elliott. I've never seen the original, so can't compare.

Jett is fine after two episodes, but heist shows and films are never as clever as they think they are. They basically rely on the protagonists being surrounded by morons.

Dark s2 was phenomenal. The best series I currently watch.

I have a few episodes of Yellowstone s2 to catch up on. I was a bit disappointed in s1, but am willing to give Taylor Sheridan a second chance. Plus the filming locations are beautiful.

I though my summer tv viewing would be slow but that's not the case now with Pure, Yellowstone, Legion, Jett and Snowfall starting soon. There's another summer series I am forgetting. Oh well.

Archived