Watch, Watched, Watching: Getting Sneaky

RedEyedGhost

2 hours ago, Astromech said:

I though my summer tv viewing would be slow but that's not the case now with Pure, Yellowstone, Legion, Jett and Snowfall starting soon. There's another summer series I am forgetting. Oh well.

Stranger Things? I think you're just playing.

3 hours ago, Corvinus said:

Speak for the UK. But in the US, I don't think Netflix did any promotions. I googled to see when season 2 was coming and Netflix was mentioned. And then I searched Netflix and found it. To be fair, Amazon hadn't done a great job, either. A friend told me about it.

The promotion was only stronger in the sense i never saw any mention on prime and Netflix had it as the launch trailer on my home screen. 

6 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

I think I’m gonna rewatch Penny Dreadful right after this.

I'm planning on doing that myself.  Probably will rewatch Stranger Things 1 & 2 (and likely the initial viewing of the new season) before I get around to PD though.

Watched fate of the furious. It was as expected with one small thing - there is a part with Jason Statham that is the bestest thing ever, and Jason Statham should be required to have a baby as a partner in every single movie he is in. 

I finally watched Baby Driver since it went up on Netflix. Ehhhhhhh. The concept of lining everything up with the music is neat but I don't think it really worked or added much to the film for me. I think I'd rather if he'd actually made it into a full-blown musical. Though mostly the problem was that I was bored by the plot.

29 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

there is a part with Jason Statham that is the bestest thing ever, and Jason Statham should be required to have a baby as a partner in every single movie he is in.  

Well he's in with the Rock next movie does that count?

I gave Too Old To Die Young another chance, but after three episodes I'm not sure if I'm going to give it another. I really like the cast and the story set-up is pretty solid, but its is just so fucking boring.

I'm also giving Yellowstone season 2  a shot, despite the first season being pretty bad. So far I'm sticking with it, but it's mostly because the actual cowboy parts are pretty fun, while all the intrigue and family-drama is pretty fucking bad.

5 hours ago, Corvinus said:

Speak for the UK. But in the US, I don't think Netflix did any promotions. I googled to see when season 2 was coming and Netflix was mentioned. And then I searched Netflix and found it. To be fair, Amazon hadn't done a great job, either. A friend told me about it.

I never heard of it at all, but Netflix has that weird picture of a big dude in a hot tub with blood/water(didn’t get to that part yet)that piqued my interest.

1 hour ago, Kalbear said:

Watched fate of the furious. It was as expected with one small thing - there is a part with Jason Statham that is the bestest thing ever, and Jason Statham should be required to have a baby as a partner in every single movie he is in. 

Best scenes of the movie by far.

11 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

I was actually gonna ask if anyone here was watching Black Spot, as I’m 4 episodes into season 1. It does drag some and I find my mind wandering at times, but the characters and supernatural elements interest me enough to finish the first season at least.

I think I’m gonna rewatch Penny Dreadful right after this. 

THink of me when you dance rewatch :wub:

Season 6 Endeavour is running on PBS now.  Third ep is tonight.  I still don't care for either the prequel or the canon Morse character.  However!  the writing of these programs has always been top-drawer, and season 6 seems to be even more so.  I'm in awe of how quickly, seamlessly, transitions, information, establishment of primary crime, plot and characters take place, without feeling rushed. The conclusions are always what they should be too.  Really fine writing.

7 hours ago, Corvinus said:

Stranger Things? I think you're just playing.

Winner, winner chicken dinner! That's the one I forgot.

5 hours ago, GallowKnight said:

I gave Too Old To Die Young another chance, but after three episodes I'm not sure if I'm going to give it another. I really like the cast and the story set-up is pretty solid, but its is just so fucking boring.

I'm also giving Yellowstone season 2  a shot, despite the first season being pretty bad. So far I'm sticking with it, but it's mostly because the actual cowboy parts are pretty fun, while all the intrigue and family-drama is pretty fucking bad.

I enjoyed the first episode of s2, but mainly due to the cowboy shenanigans. 

If you are an HBO subscriber, I would highly recommend the BBC - HBO co-production, Years and Years.  it's completed its miniseries run in the UK.  It began here on the 24th.  Second episode coming up.  There is only one season.  It's very powerful, very well done, and terrifying, at least the first episode is, which, of course, is all that's been shown here so far.

6 hours ago, GallowKnight said:

And see, I haven’t found it boring at all. He does go on a bit too long with some of his shots, but it’s so gorgeous to look at, and the music is so crazy most of the time it keeps me from being bored. I’m through 7 episodes now, and unless the last 3 are a total letdown this has been a success for me. Episode 5 has been the highlight so far. That one was amazing. 

As for Yellowstone...ugh, it’s so bad. I almost want to believe someone else is ghostwriting it, and it’s not really Taylor Sheridan. I’m just putting it on in the background at this point. Such a waste of Kevin Costner. 

22 hours ago, red snow said:

Black spot certainly seems to work in a "I'll add that to my watch list". Whether it gets watched is another matter. I had no idea it was on prime first in uk. If it was then Netflix has done a much better job of promoting it. To be honest i only looked at it because it had similar imagery to "der pass" which was heavily promoted in Berlin last year and looked good.

If you enjoy subtitled, slightly out there murder mysteries then it's for you. Reminds us a bit of The Forest, but with slightly more competent policing.

19 hours ago, Corvinus said:

It just so happened that I was home alone one evening a couple of weeks back and just felt like scanning Netflix for some new stuff to stick on my list and Black Spot was one of the first 'recommended for you' series. But I was surprised to discover it was French. It really seemed like it was a US thing from the Netflix trailer (I guess I was hurrying and not paying full attention)

14 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

I never heard of it at all, but Netflix has that weird picture of a big dude in a hot tub with blood/water(didn’t get to that part yet)that piqued my interest.

That's S2. I just finished S1 and that hasn't come to pass yet.

10 hours ago, Zorral said:

Season 6 Endeavour is running on PBS now.  Third ep is tonight.  I still don't care for either the prequel or the canon Morse character.  However!  the writing of these programs has always been top-drawer, and season 6 seems to be even more so.  I'm in awe of how quickly, seamlessly, transitions, information, establishment of primary crime, plot and characters take place, without feeling rushed. The conclusions are always what they should be too.  Really fine writing.

It feels so effortlessly good. And really fine acting too.

Friday night I watched The Beguiled as I fancied a short-ish film (90 minutes). With the cast and director I had higher hopes for this. It seemed so predictable but at the same time nowhere near as shocking as it could have been. It's no Virgin Suicides, that's for sure.

10 hours ago, Nictarion said:

And see, I haven’t found it boring at all. He does go on a bit too long with some of his shots, but it’s so gorgeous to look at, and the music is so crazy most of the time it keeps me from being bored. I’m through 7 episodes now, and unless the last 3 are a total letdown this has been a success for me. Episode 5 has been the highlight so far. That one was amazing. 

As for Yellowstone...ugh, it’s so bad. I almost want to believe someone else is ghostwriting it, and it’s not really Taylor Sheridan. I’m just putting it on in the background at this point. Such a waste of Kevin Costner. 

Yeah, I'm starting to think that Winding Refn's stuff just don't work for me.

2 hours ago, Isis said:

It just so happened that I was home alone one evening a couple of weeks back and just felt like scanning Netflix for some new stuff to stick on my list and Black Spot was one of the first 'recommended for you' series. But I was surprised to discover it was French. It really seemed like it was a US thing from the Netflix trailer (I guess I was hurrying and not paying full attention)

The show does have a slight American vibe.

18 hours ago, Astromech said:

Winner, winner chicken dinner! That's the one I forgot.

I think we should all take a moment to remember the random hunter in Season 2 that Eleven murdered.

(even if she didn't kill him outright, she left him unconscious in freezing temperatures. Let's not kid ourselves. That guy is dead.)

2 hours ago, A True Kaniggit said:

I think we should all take a moment to remember the random hunter in Season 2 that Eleven murdered.

(even if she didn't kill him outright, she left him unconscious in freezing temperatures. Let's not kid ourselves. That guy is dead.)

He's dead only if his name starts with a "B". Otherwise, he's fine, but likely has amnesia.

Archived