Watch, Watched, Watching: Getting Sneaky

RedEyedGhost

3 hours ago, Heartofice said:

I started watching Good Omens this morning, and so far I'm really liking it. It seems to have gotten pretty mediocre reviews, but I'm happy to just enjoy the performances of the leads and the general style of the show.

Hopefully not being strung out across multiple seasons like American Gods.

Unfortunately I’ve had lots of time in airplanes this week for TV/movie viewing, especially with additional delays from all the storms here.  My criteria for airplane viewing are (1) available from Netflix or Amazon Prime to download onto my iPad and (2) something my wife doesn’t want to watch with me at home. 

I watched the entire season of Sneaky Pete S3, which is still good viewing as main ensemble is still present and their characterization and interactions continue to develop.  The writers injected a new setting to freshen up the dynamic, but also resorted to a Loki-like chaos character as a convenient source for obstacles to undermine the best-laid plans.  Definitely worth watching but the overall premise is running out of steam.  In order the create problems and dramatic tension, each of the characters has become a massive fuck-up undeserving of being rescued or bailed out, which in turn makes some of the supposed romance angles implausible.  Who could really believe that Chuck would have fallen for Lila?  And why would we believe that Pete is still falling for Julia, the dead-eyed, bitter, resentful, self-loathing and self-pitying, always-fucks-up-her-life-and-everyone’s-around-her, terrible mother, former addict, dead-ender?  It’s definitely not for the looks, intelligence, style, charisma or excitement that we see in his other girlfriends in the series.  I get that he’s supposed to be maturing from selfish to wanting to help others, but that doesn’t mean continually rescuing the biggest loser he’s ever met makes him fall in love with her.  Especially with all his baggage about hating his own useless addict of a mother.

I also watched the movie Kick-Ass, a very fun spoof of comic book super hero movies with gratuitous violence.

Next was Fleabag S1, with excellent comedy that blends pathos, observation, commentary and snark.  The character arc is resolved so well in this short season that it’s hard to imagine where they go with S2, but I look forward to finding out. 

Also finished Peaky Blinders S3, still a very good watch.  Tom Hardy as Alfie Solomon steals the show again (he appears in S2 too).  This punk-ish take on 1920s working class Birmingham gangsters is still very well made, but the melodrama is exaggerated more and more each season.  I think I may drop it here rather than continue onto S4 and S5.

29 minutes ago, Triskele said:

I've only seen Deadwood the TV series one time through, and now I'm tempted to do a re-watch before watching the movie which drops tonight...decisions.  

I would say do a rewatch, but I know it’s hard to wait. You should’ve planned accordingly! Or just watch some recap videos if your memory is as bad as mine. 

Either way it’s a win-win.

4 hours ago, Triskele said:

I've only seen Deadwood the TV series one time through, and now I'm tempted to do a re-watch before watching the movie which drops tonight...decisions.  

I've started a rewatch but only 3 episodes in... My plan is now changing. I'm going to watch the film today because i suspect spoilers will appear and I'd rather watch it unspoiled than watch it with perfect working knowledge of the show. Then I'm going to finish my rewatch and then watch the film again. That way i can judge the film as a stand-alone and as a finale. Unlike Bullock, I'm all about compromise.

2 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Just read the episode summary on wiki, how could you possibly wait? 

Just watched it and I'm not regretting putting the rewatch on hold. That was excellently executed. The characters immediately came back to life and they did a good job of suggesting people had lived their lives offscreen rather than being in stasis prior to the events of the film.

Started When They See Us  a limited series about the Central Park Five with Michael K. Williams, John  Leguizamo, Vera Farmiga and others. Very good 1st episode. 

2 hours ago, Astromech said:

Started When They See Us  a limited series about the Central Park Five with Michael K. Williams, John  Leguizamo, Vera Farmiga and others. Very good 1st episode. 

I was interested in that, might give it a go.

What we do in the shadows is proving to be as fun as the film. I like the addition of energy/emotional vampires and the witch hat cracked me up

7 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Looking forward to seeing the 2nd season of Bad Blood.  Season 1 was really good.

About 5 episodes into season 2.To me it's as good if not better than S1 so far.

56 minutes ago, Triskele said:

I binged three last night, and I can't believe how many great side characters I'd forgotten about.  Gonna stick with the binge for now but might abort and do film as you did at some point...

I think a couple of episodes to jog the memory of characters helps but the film is really friendly in the sense it knows it's for fans but appreciates it may be over a decade since you watched. I'd just avoid spoiler threads in the meantime if i were you.

Why hadn't it penetrated ye pea soup that passes these days as brain that Yellowstone is at least partly a project of Sons of Anarchy guy (s)?  They can't write plot or dialog for anything.  Not to mention female characters.  Of course wealthy to obscenity Rancher Dutton has a bug-effuck daughter that effs around, takes multiple dopes and drinks the hard shyte straight from the bottle and also screws the Ranch's - Dutton's foreman / head thug fixer guy.  And a bro who is (probably) gay, and another who is -- whatever he is, PTSD., married across class and racial lines, father of the only grandchildson.  Cripes, this is the same formula as Dallas, Dynasty, etc. right down to the cray-cray.

2 hours ago, Zorral said:

Why hadn't it penetrated ye pea soup that passes these days as brain that Yellowstone is at least partly a project of Sons of Anarchy guy (s)?  They can't write plot or dialog for anythingNot to mention female characters.  Of course wealthy to obscenity Rancher Dutton has a bug-effuck daughter that effs around, takes multiple dopes and drinks the hard shyte straight from the bottle and also screws the Ranch's - Dutton's foreman / head thug fixer guy.  And a bro who is (probably) gay, and another who is -- whatever he is, PTSD., married across class and racial lines, father of the only grandchildson.  Cripes, this is the same formula as Dallas, Dynasty, etc. right down to the cray-cray.

Taylor Sheridan has written some excellent stuff. Mainly his “Frontier Trilogy” of Sicario, Hell or High Water, and Wind River. 

Think he had a small acting role in SoA (idk I never watched it), but he wasn’t a showrunner or writer on that series. And the bolded is definitely not true when it comes to his movies. 

But yes, Yellowstone has been a massive disappointment so far. I agree the writing is the weakest element. Which was really surprising considering how good his movie scripts are (and he even directed Wind River). I watched it because there wasn’t much else on at the time and the locations and scenery are gorgeous. I also like Costner. It is bad though, no denying that. Haven’t decided if I’ll watch S2 or not. 

2 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Taylor Sheridan has written some excellent stuff. Mainly his “Frontier Trilogy” of Sicario, Hell or High Water, and Wind River. 

Think he had a small acting role in SoA (idk I never watched it), but he wasn’t a showrunner or writer on that series. And the bolded is definitely not true when it comes to his movies. 

But yes, Yellowstone has been a massive disappointment so far. I agree the writing is the weakest element. Which was really surprising considering how good his movie scripts are (and he even directed Wind River). I watched it because there wasn’t much else on at the time and the locations and scenery are gorgeous. I also like Costner. It is bad though, no denying that. Haven’t decided if I’ll watch S2 or not. 

It felt like he was asked to write a series to showcase the new Paramount Network at the last minute. Rushed and not well thought out. I had high hopes for it but s1 was laughable and eyeroll-inducing at times.

I too love Costner, especially since he was such a good friend to friend Michael Blake, when he needed friends desperately. 

I wasn't too happy with the female characters in Wind River.  Always found troubles with the writing and women.

The thing is Costner is smarter than this about writing and women, generally speaking.   I don't always know because I don't follow works that carefully over the years.  I often get to something I find interesting, or feel the need to get educated into, and then go backwards and forwards.

Archived