Jump to content
RedEyedGhost

Watch, Watched, Watching: Getting Sneaky

Recommended Posts

Dead to Me was a really bingeable watch. Really liked the season and how it ended. Hopefully gets a second.

Still enjoying iZombie as my week-to-week watch. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw John Wick 3 over the weekend and didn't really enjoy it.  The original is one of my favorite action films of all time and the second one was a good follow up, though not quite hitting as high of a mark.  This one ratcheted up the ridiculousness to 11 which took me completely out of the story and the world.  The premise is that he now has to battle all these assassins, which would have been great if they did it right, but I think they missed the mark by a lot on this one.  

Spoiler

Right in the beginning he uses a horse as a fucking weapon.... twice, which had me laughing at how stupid it was.

I also thought Halle Berry's action scenes were just not good.  She didn't convince me at all that she was as competent with a weapon, or that the martial arts she was performing could ever be possible.  It's one thing that I really liked about the original, KR felt like an uber badass who could be that character and despite how ridiculous it was, go into a room of 20+ guys and just wipe them out.  Halle Berry's character did not give that off for me at all, and many times I thought some of the stuff Wick was doing was OTT.  I wish I would've waited until the bluray release. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, aceluby said:

I saw John Wick 3 over the weekend and didn't really enjoy it.  The original is one of my favorite action films of all time and the second one was a good follow up, though not quite hitting as high of a mark.  This one ratcheted up the ridiculousness to 11 which took me completely out of the story and the world.  The premise is that he now has to battle all these assassins, which would have been great if they did it right, but I think they missed the mark by a lot on this one.  

  Reveal hidden contents

Right in the beginning he uses a horse as a fucking weapon.... twice, which had me laughing at how stupid it was.

I also thought Halle Berry's action scenes were just not good.  She didn't convince me at all that she was as competent with a weapon, or that the martial arts she was performing could ever be possible.  It's one thing that I really liked about the original, KR felt like an uber badass who could be that character and despite how ridiculous it was, go into a room of 20+ guys and just wipe them out.  Halle Berry's character did not give that off for me at all, and many times I thought some of the stuff Wick was doing was OTT.  I wish I would've waited until the bluray release. 

I have my issues with it, too, but I found Berry perfectly convincing, and thought that was one of the better action scenes.

Spoiler

I liked the dogs, especially. I thought it was funny that she trained them to go for the genitals, not the throat.

Though my favorite action scene was probably the early one with all the knife throwing.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Corvinus said:

I have my issues with it, too, but I found Berry perfectly convincing, and thought that was one of the better action scenes.

  Hide contents

I liked the dogs, especially. I thought it was funny that she trained them to go for the genitals, not the throat.

Though my favorite action scene was probably the early one with all the knife throwing.

 

Spoiler

I forgot about the dogs.... I disliked that as well and thought it was forced, which may have been due to the horse scene earlier.  All those people with guns and the dogs come out unscathed. :rolleyes:

The knife scene was pretty awesome, but it was one of only a few scenes that was cool.  Looking back, I didn't really enjoy any of the "tag team" scenes.  Focus was lost, and when compared to John Wick the other two seemed second tier and were not convincing for me to be anywhere near as deadly and yet the direction was obviously trying to convince me they were.  To each their own, I left the theater pretty disappointed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Has anyone seen the new Netflix movie The Perfection? It's every bit as a creepy as the reviews say it is, and Allison Williams is quickly locking up the "creepy white girl" lane in Hollywood. Her performance in Get Out only adds to the role, assuming you've seen it (and really who the hell hasn't?).

Edited by Tywin et al.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still making my way through S3 of Sneaky Pete. Deliberately trying not to binge in order to enjoy the various cons some more. On the penultimate episode and I particularly like Ricky Jay's character thus far. I was saddened to see he passed away last November and, after watching his Ricky Jay and his 52 assistants - Magic show on Youtube, I feel like I didn't appreciate his entertainment as much as I should have. Going to watch the Deadwood movie after Sneaky Pete. He's not credited on IMDB for the movie which is another shame...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Has anyone seen the new Netflix movie The Perfection? It's every bit as a creepy as the reviews say it is, and Allison Williams is quickly locking up the "creepy white girl" lane in Hollywood. Her performance in Get Out only adds to the role, assuming you've seen it (and really who the hell hasn't?).

What a fucked up movie. I watched it over the weekend and still don’t know how I really feel about it. It was brutal, over-the-top and just decent I guess. My younger self would’ve enjoyed it much more probably.

I’ve never seen Logan Browning in anything before and thought she was good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I saw Chernobyl and...it was fine? I liked a lot of it, I think it's done really well, but the english accents took me out of it. I know Mazin has addressed this before, but when you're being authentic in every other way, it sorta rings false when I hear those accents. Other than that, I have few complaints about the show.

I just think it would have had more of an impact on me had it been subtitled, but oh well. It's a decent series, but it doesn't go to the top tier for me ( especially when it comes on the back of something like When they see us, which I watched a day prior to starting chernobyl) 

Edited by Raja

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/3/2019 at 10:54 AM, HelenaExMachina said:

Dead to Me was a really bingeable watch. Really liked the season and how it ended. Hopefully gets a second.

Still enjoying iZombie as my week-to-week watch. 

Agree, watched last 4 episodes last night, 2nd season already greenlit. However if they try to hide what happened at the end of s1 it will be so lame. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When They See Us is excellent. The settlement the Central Park Five received was way too small imo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

What a fucked up movie. I watched it over the weekend and still don’t know how I really feel about it. It was brutal, over-the-top and just decent I guess. My younger self would’ve enjoyed it much more probably.

I’ve never seen Logan Browning in anything before and thought she was good.

I watched it again last night. It’s a lot easier to take in the second time around. I really like it, but a note to others who have yet to see it, there is about a 15 minute section that’s just hard to watch.

Also,

Spoiler

Is it fair to say this movie has like five plot twists?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Watched Mid90s last night. Pretty good directorial debut for Jonah Hill. Really made me nostalgic as I was the same age as the main character at that time. It’s definitely worth watching if you like coming-of-age movies. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Good decision by Amazon.  My quick review upthread on Sneaky Pete said it had run its course now.  It was already too contrived to keep manufacturing fuck-ups for Pete to dance around and through.  The finale of S3 felt like a series finale anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My wife and I are enjoying Good Omens so far.  We've watched the first three eps.  It's light, funny and the screen version seems to include a few updates to fit current times (at least based on my fuzzy memory of the book). At first it relied too much on the narrator to deliver the usual Pratchett rambling (but funny) introduction.  Once the characters of Crowley and Aziraphale were established, the narration was reduced.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/5/2019 at 4:13 AM, Astromech said:

When They See Us is excellent. The settlement the Central Park Five received was way too small imo.

Just saw the first episode. Truly excellent so far. A nightmare. A great watch if you are interested in the dark side of the American justice system.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finally caught up on Pure s1 after my dvr botched the recordings last year (couldn't possibly have been user error). Mennonite pastor has to deal drugs in order to protect his family. Now on to s2.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×