RedEyedGhost

Watch, Watched, Watching: Getting Sneaky

3 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Deep philosophical question: Did you really see a movie if you were too drunk to remember it?

How rude of no one to answer this urgent question.

I would argue not really, because half the fun is discussing said film to signal your wit and good taste.  Without this what have you accomplished?  Although in today's attention span deprived world perhaps simply staying in the chair for ~2 hours is an accomplishment blacked out or otherwise.  Not everyone can do it.  

10 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

I’m rewatching season 1 now and was wondering this. The trailers makes it look like at least some of it happens right after. The little kids are obviously gonna be like 2.5 years older IRL so that might be a little weird. 

I finally watched Beast. Jessie Buckley is great per usual and I agree with some posters that said:

Reveal hidden contents

They wished it ended 5 minutes sooner(I’m assuming at the beach restaurant). The whole car crash thing was kind of outlandish and dumb, and her shell-shocked reaction at the dinner table was just so perfect. I didn’t quite understand that after she choked him on the road they played dramatic, almost evil music while she stands up? It didn’t seem to fit to me.

Without spoilers, the first episode kicks off a few months after the incident. For a little context its the first day of the new school year.

Thinking on it, i believe most of the trailer was stuff from episode one...

I watched the premiere of City on a Hill. It was ok, but I felt like I've seen it all before in other movies set in Boston. Kevin Bacon is terrific as usual, though. I'll give it a chance to see if it develops its own identity and doesn't feel like a rehash.

11 hours ago, Triskele said:

How rude of no one to answer this urgent question.

I would argue not really, because half the fun is discussing said film to signal your wit and good taste.  Without this what have you accomplished?  Although in today's attention span deprived world perhaps simply staying in the chair for ~2 hours is an accomplishment blacked out or otherwise.  Not everyone can do it.  

Quite rude indeed. The movie in question was Overlord. It was kind of terrible, so I downed like three scotches and lit up a bowl. I don’t recall a single thing other than the cool opening.

For anyone interested, a digitally remastered Matrix will be shown in cinemas this year as part of the 20 year anniversary

Saw Long Shot with Charlize Theron and Seth Rogen yesterday. After a glowing review in the Guardian I had very high expectations which it did not completely match, but it is still a very enjoyable movie. A bit too crude from time to time, but at the end of the day Theron can really make everything work (amazing how she can play a Furiosa character and a Charlotte Field and is perfect as both). She's convincing on every level and Seth Rogen basically is Seth Rogen like he always is. The film had a bit of a hipsterish feel to it in the way it was directed which I really liked. Truly not your standard rom-com.

10 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

For anyone interested, a digitally remastered Matrix will be shown in cinemas this year as part of the 20 year anniversary

:eek:

Thanks for making me feel old today, Helena...

Gentleman Jack (HBO) concluded it's first season on Monday night.  Along with Bosch and Billions, this has been by far the best television this year, at least so far.  Suranne Jones is just frackin' brilliant as Anne Lister.  The rest of the cast is equally good, though I crack up every time Anne's sister Marianne is on screen, because this is the actor who plays Got's Yara Greyjoy.  A more different role from Yara for Gemma Whelan as Marianne one cannot get.  So glad there's a second season in the offing.

As Pride Month watching, trust me, this beats the too twee fantasia of netflix's Tales of the City all to pieces -- if one so wishes to watch thinking that way.  Which I didn't.  Which again shows just how very good Gentleman Jack is, because one doesn't feel one is watching a story of being a lesbian.  One is watching a story of how difficult it is for a particular, individual woman who isn't conventionally female in the 1830's, who possesses enormous funds of energy, self-confidence, intelligence, capacity for love, friendship and family, and entrepreneurial gifts, to make a productive life with scope for employing all of her qualities.

5 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

:eek:

Thanks for making me feel old today, Helena...

I felt bad enough realising it was 20 years myself so you have my apologies :P 

So I'm flipping through channels, when to my surprise I come across the robot fighting show BattleBots. I had no idea that this show was still on. I still find it as entertaining as I did when I was a kid.

I'm halfway through How to Sell Drugs Online(Fast). It has its moments. Ok for the occasional laugh. Annoying juggling the subtitles and all of the text messages and social media messages littering the screen half the time.

Posted (edited)

Jessica Jones, 3rd and final season -- Disney now owns Marvel so Netflix won't be doing any more of these 'heroes.'  

Trish, a superhero?  The second episode is almost entirely Trish.  It’s Trish training the seemingly superpower that manifested sort of in the very last scene of the finale of season 2.  But superpowers just are, from whatever odd circumstance, not supertrained, right?  Also the actor who is Trish is just not interesting to watch, unlike Krysten Ritter.  Maybe, since Ritter directed this episode, this is why we hardly see her?

So, the structure of this show so far is odd (2 ½ eps in), though I will not describe why I say this due to spoilage.

I will only say that ep 2 is almost entirely Trish -- she even does voice overs like JJ. Howevr, Trish is the perfect, fully insipid, nothing-authentic-about-her, Home Shopping Network host-shill.  Thus she cannot even remotely hold the center screen for action adventure, whereas we can watch JJ / Krysten Ritter, just lie in a hospital bed and be fascinated.

I think I understand ... in only so far ... why these choices were made, but still, we cannot give a shyte about either Trish -- or her mom, who also is given way too much screen time.  We've seen in aggregate  more of those two and the other supporting characters than we have so far of JJ, who is the character we watch for, not them. Nor do we have a clue yet as to who or what might be the Big Bad. But I am only 2 1/2 episodes in.  Krysten Ritter's JJ still makes watching worthwhile.

I know so many haven't like this show, but I've liked it very much, while actively disliking superhero / comix shows to the point where I don't see them in movie theaters or television, and don't follow at all.

Edited by Zorral

It's full of negative space and long, return to source pans, but I'm digging Too Old To Die Young so far. 

Posted about this in it's own thread - but watched the season premiere for Big Little Lies S2. It had some good moments, I think Kidman & Witherspoon are carrying that show a little bit. There are a lot of really good scenes, but the first episode had a couple of really bad/ slapstick writing in a couple of scenes, which is a little unfortunate.

Also, the cast seems like it will still remain *very* white, but maybe that will change. It seems like they're going to develop Kravitz's character a little bit, which is good given that she's the least developed of the bunch and also the only POC on that show. 

'When they see us" really is worthy of the hype. It's frustrating viewing but that's the point. I'm also enjoying how each episode has a clear vibe and structure to it. The young actors have a bright future ahead of them based solely on this

Posted (edited)

Turns out the driving force of Big Bad in Jessica Jones, season 3, is

Spoiler

he's an incel.

Which again, helps explain why JJ's season was so often unpopular among so many hard core comix type fans.

Spoiler

JJ is so much about female issues and problems, including mother-daughter, female friendships and sisterhood, female rivalry and conflict, bad boyfriends, men who wish to control and dominate, men who hate women.

Still too many people find these matters to not matter and to be boring.  What so many still want from superhero 'stories' is non-stop thump, thud, throw, and general physical, violent havoc and destruction.

Edited by Zorral

Considering there was 5 hours worth of material, i flew through "when they see us". The pacing was possibly the best I've seen on a Netflix show. Between this and "Chernobyl" I'm hoping we get a revival of the miniseries event instead of stretching to 10 hours or feeling the need for sequels.

It was terrifying in the sense it's one of my worst fears somehow becoming incarcerated for a crime i didn't commit (my brother had a run in once where it was clear the police fit people into narratives) and seeing examples where you can't rely on the justice system to protect you. It was pretty horrible viewing but there were glimmers of hope and humanity. I really hope logan Marshall green's prisoner officer was based on an actual person as it waa nice to see there are people with basic empathy (even for criminals). 

The only minor complaint is not getting to see those who perpetuated this miscarriage of justice receive their punishment. Probably because they didn't which is appalling. I think the prosecutor lost her lectureship position but don't know what happened to the police involved. I'll watch the Oprah special as it might shed some light on it.

46 minutes ago, red snow said:

Considering there was 5 hours worth of material, i flew through "when they see us". The pacing was possibly the best I've seen on a Netflix show. Between this and "Chernobyl" I'm hoping we get a revival of the miniseries event instead of stretching to 10 hours or feeling the need for sequels.

It was terrifying in the sense it's one of my worst fears somehow becoming incarcerated for a crime i didn't commit (my brother had a run in once where it was clear the police fit people into narratives) and seeing examples where you can't rely on the justice system to protect you. It was pretty horrible viewing but there were glimmers of hope and humanity. I really hope logan Marshall green's prisoner officer was based on an actual person as it waa nice to see there are people with basic empathy (even for criminals). 

The only minor complaint is not getting to see those who perpetuated this miscarriage of justice receive their punishment. Probably because they didn't which is appalling. I think the prosecutor lost her lectureship position but don't know what happened to the police involved. I'll watch the Oprah special as it might shed some light on it.

I've seen articles online where the prosecutor has been trying to defend herself, but I haven't read them.

The settlement amount seems far too low imo. 

Not surprising several of them left NY. I'm curious as to why they chose Atlanta.

2 hours ago, Astromech said:

I've seen articles online where the prosecutor has been trying to defend herself, but I haven't read them.

The settlement amount seems far too low imo. 

Not surprising several of them left NY. I'm curious as to why they chose Atlanta.

The Oprah special was heartbreaking as well. Some/all of them are still messed up. One of them has pretty much the whole audience in tears at one point. They also point out the settlement only helps them provide for their family. It doesn't fix what they lost 

Posted (edited)

Yeah, a good portion of their life was taken from them.

I watched the first episode of the Polish series Blinded by the Lights. Basically follows a cocaine deal gone bad in the very ordered life of a Polish dealer. So far so good. Many many kurwas have been spoken already.

Edited by Astromech