RedEyedGhost

Watch, Watched, Watching: Getting Sneaky

19 hours ago, Tears of Lys said:

Oh, I also enjoyed "What we do in the Shadows."  It's outrageously silly fun.  Slapstick vampires.  

I just finished watching that as well. I think it's been a good first season, some great jokes in every episode. While the film is also great, I think the premise is perhaps best suited to a TV series.

On 6/18/2019 at 7:37 PM, Tears of Lys said:

Oh, I also enjoyed "What we do in the Shadows."  It's outrageously silly fun.  Slapstick vampires.  

I must ask:

Do you refer here to the film or the show?  Be sure to see the other whichever it may be.  

I went to see John Wick 3 yesterday and I liked it. It was good and very entertaining for the most part. I'm not sure how I would rank the three movies though. However I didn't think any of the action scenes stood out quite as much as some of the ones from the first two movies. And the shooty bits are pretty boring when compared to the hand-to-hand action, so the Marocoo bits didn't really do much for me. I loved Mark Dacascos and it was nice to see he still got the action movie chops. I also loved seeing Cecep Arif Rahman and Yayan Ruhian from the Raid movies pop-up. I still hate the bulletproof suit though.

I've also been watching Warrior which is really good. I read a book about the New York Tong wars last year and it is a really interesting subject and something that I thought had a lot of potential for a show or movie of this sort, so I was really happy that they made this. The fight scenes are really great, I don't know how much of a martial arts background Andrew Koji has and how much is camera trickery, but to me he looks really good in the fights. And of course we have some The Raid alumni here too with Joe Talsim who's just fantastic. However it did feel a bit ridiculous and gratuitous that all major female characters git naked in the first episode. And while I don't dislike the white characters in anyway, they could still all probably be dropped without the show suffering any.

I also watched the first two episodes of Too Old To Die Young. I though the first episode was slow, but the second one was fucking torture.

2 hours ago, GallowKnight said:

I've also been watching Warrior which is really good. I read a book about the New York Tong wars last year and it is a really interesting subject and something that I thought had a lot of potential for a show or movie of this sort, so I was really happy that they made this. The fight scenes are really great, I don't know how much of a martial arts background Andrew Koji has and how much is camera trickery, but to me he looks really good in the fights. And of course we have some The Raid alumni here too with Joe Talsim who's just fantastic. However it did feel a bit ridiculous and gratuitous that all major female characters git naked in the first episode. And while I don't dislike the white characters in anyway, they could still all probably be dropped without the show suffering any.

Warrior was a ton of fun. What Kung Fu could have been had they stuck to Bruce Lee's original idea. Not quite as over-the-top fun as Tropper's other show Banshee, but that was really in a league of its own. I'm already looking forward to s2.

Just tellin' ya' all, who watched Amazon Prime's Omens, from Pratchett and Gaiman's novel, ya' all did it RONG!

Omens is on Netflix!  I know because the Bible tell me so!

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2019/jun/20/petition-netflix-cancel-amazon-prime-good-omens-christian-neil-gaiman-terry-pratchett

More than 20,000 [Christian] supporters have signed a petition in which they say that Good Omens is “another step to make satanism appear normal, light and acceptable”, and “mocks God’s wisdom”. God, they complain, is “voiced by a woman” – Frances McDormand – the antichrist is a “normal kid” and, most importantly, “this type of video makes light of Truth, Error, Good and Evil, and destroys the barriers of horror that society still has for the devil”. They are calling on Netflix to cancel the show.

19 hours ago, williamjm said:

I just finished watching that as well. I think it's been a good first season, some great jokes in every episode. While the film is also great, I think the premise is perhaps best suited to a TV series.

12 hours ago, Triskele said:

I must ask:

Do you refer here to the film or the show?  Be sure to see the other whichever it may be.  

I've never seen the film.  When was it released?  

1 hour ago, Tears of Lys said:

I've never seen the film.  When was it released?  

It was back in 2014. The premise is fairly similar to the TV series, four vampires sharing a house, although in the film it is in Wellington, New Zealand rather than Staten Island. Three of the vampires show up in the TV series as part of the Vampire Council. I'd definitely recommend it if you've enjoyed the TV series.

9 hours ago, Astromech said:

Warrior was a ton of fun. What Kung Fu could have been had they stuck to Bruce Lee's original idea. Not quite as over-the-top fun as Tropper's other show Banshee, but that was really in a league of its own. I'm already looking forward to s2.

Yeah, it was great. Nice to see a period peice from a different angle. And it's still crawling with a shit ton of testosterone like in banshee. The villains all have legit reasons and don't see themselves as bad eg irish guy protecting Irish people's jobs.

Watched the San Junipero episode of Black Mirror.

Now that shit was beautiful, a happy, romantic episode that felt organic and believable, regardless of the tech.

36 minutes ago, Red Tiger said:

Watched the San Junipero episode of Black Mirror.

Now that shit was beautiful, a happy, romantic episode that felt organic and believable, regardless of the tech.

I doubt it will ever be displaced as my top BM episode

For whatever reason, Fifteen Million Merits is the one that's always been my favorite, though I must admit I've only seen like half of the episodes. 

San Junipero is the one that makes me happiest, but the Entire History of You is the one that has stuck with me the longest.

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

San Junipero is the one that makes me happiest, but the Entire History of You is the one that has stuck with me the longest.

Literally exactly how I feel. I know most people put Be Right Back up there as the episode that got to them the most, but for me it was Entire History of You. That one about broke me. 

Edited by Nictarion

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

For whatever reason, Fifteen Million Merits is the one that's always been my favorite, though I must admit I've only seen like half of the episodes. 

The Australian judge who is kind of a Simon Cowell stand in is one of my favorite random characters ever.  

4 hours ago, Kalbear said:

4 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Literally exactly how I feel. I know most people put Be Right Back up there as the episode that got to them the most, but for me it was Entire History of You. That one about broke me. 

This is close to it for me to and not sure if anyone would have seen but in some recent thread (maybe the BM one) I shared that I thought I'd seen every episode only to discover that I'd missed Entire History of You, and so I only saw that after seeing literally every other episode except this most recent batch of three.  Incredible both in concept, acting, and overall execution.  

ETA:  And this San Junipero montage set to Heaven is a Place on Earth ought to be so cheesy, but it's incredibly affecting if one knows the episode.  

Edited by Triskele

Posted (edited)

Finished the first season of Warrior earlier today. I got to admit, I was a bit disappointed. The fights in the last two episodes were not that great and the place characters ended up in felt a bit... half-assed? It feels as if the show ran out of money and just decided to cut down on the number of episodes. A shame because I was enjoying myself all in all. It is far from the must-watch tv that Banshee was, but I believe it is a promising show overall.

EDIT: They just need to ditch most of the white characters. Keep the Irish mobster and Burke, ditch the others 

Edited by Veltigar

Posted (edited)

Talk about shattering -  I watched "Euphoria" last night.  Makes me REALLY glad I don't have kids.  

I don't want to spoil anything for those who haven't seen it yet, but I'd be interested to know if anyone's experiences are anything at all like the kids on this show.  If so, they have my deepest sympathies.   

Ed: It's really hard to give a dispassionate opinion on how "good" the show is since I was practically traumatized by it.

Edited by Tears of Lys
jus mo' stuff

9 minutes ago, Tears of Lys said:

Talk about shattering -  I watched "Euphoria" last night.  Makes me REALLY glad I don't have kids.  

I don't want to spoil anything for those who haven't seen it yet, but I'd be interested to know if anyone's experiences are anything at all like the kids on this show.  If so, they have my deepest sympathies.   

I heard some pretty graphic accounts of the shenanigans going on my first high school in Florida, which was in a more well-to-do area, including lots of drinking, drugs (weed mostly), and of course sex. Nothing really like what Euphoria shows though, which I think is more of a hyper-reality that basically takes the worst scenarios you can imagine or find reported across years and many places and then just compresses them all together into the life of the protagonist and her acquaintances. It makes for very uneasy viewing, but I don't think it's necessarily representative of what the vast majority of teenagers experience.

9 minutes ago, Tears of Lys said:

Ed: It's really hard to give a dispassionate opinion on how "good" the show is since I was practically traumatized by it.

I think it's going to turn a lot on Zendaya and her character, Rue. If she's mostly just a drugged-out observer, as she was in the premiere, this is going to be a tough slog because she'll be too static. All the performances were good, though, hers included, so it's more of a matter of seeing how it develops.

2 minutes ago, Ran said:

I heard some pretty graphic accounts of the shenanigans going on my first high school in Florida, which was in a more well-to-do area, including lots of drinking, drugs (weed mostly), and of course sex. Nothing really like what Euphoria shows though, which I think is more of a hyper-reality that basically takes the worst scenarios you can imagine or find reported across years and many places and then just compresses them all together into the life of the protagonist and her acquaintances. It makes for very uneasy viewing, but I don't think it's necessarily representative of what the vast majority of teenagers experience.

I think it's going to turn a lot on Zendaya and her character, Rue. If she's mostly just a drugged-out observer, as she was in the premiere, this is going to be a tough slog because she'll be too static. All the performances were good, though, hers included, so it's more of a matter of seeing how it develops.

Makes sense - the part about compressing a lot of nightmarish scenarios into one night.  Thanks for talking me down off the ledge. ;)   

'splain to me one part - the part where Jules goes to that motel room with the older dude.  Is this someone she just came across on the Internet and knew what she was in for?  (The family picture on the wall as the blond "jock" guy is going upstairs is a bit subtle.  You could miss it if you weren't paying close attention.)

3 minutes ago, Tears of Lys said:

'splain to me one part - the part where Jules goes to that motel room with the older dude.  Is this someone she just came across on the Internet and knew what she was in for? 

I think she had been eyeing Grindr/Tinder for awhile. I can't say whether this was her first time or not hooking up with a random stranger, it's not clear, but I don't think she was really aware of how it was going to go. 

I believe that photo was also the lock screen on Nate's (the jock) phone before he showed his buddy the private photos that Cassie (Sydney Sweeney's character) had sent him.