RedEyedGhost

Watch, Watched, Watching: Getting Sneaky

Just started up my July 4 tradition - watching HBO's John Adams miniseries.  Fucking love the theme song.

2 hours ago, DMC said:

Just started up my July 4 tradition - watching HBO's John Adams miniseries.  Fucking love the theme song.

Interesting.. I just picked up the book after reading 1776 over the Memorial Day break. Haven't seen the show but will check it out after I finish the book.

7 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Yep. Competitive eating is proper car crash TV. I wish they didn't have different organisations though. It's like fucking boxing, keeping the best away from each other. 

The fuck?  Why on earth is there a need for more than one competitive eating organization?  The 1st place prize for that competition today was only $10K....

4 hours ago, WarGalley said:

Interesting.. I just picked up the book after reading 1776 over the Memorial Day break. Haven't seen the show but will check it out after I finish the book.

Oh, just to clarify, I'm not a fan of David McCullough's writing - particularly his whitewashing of Truman.  But the show's pretty damn good.  And almost historically accurate, after the first episode.  In fact I'd almost suggest skipping the first episode.  It's boring and makes up a conflict between John and Sam Adams (and Hancock) that never existed in the slightest.  After that, it's a great cast and very well done.

I feel like True Blood and Deadwood could swap titles and still have both make a lot of sense.

20 hours ago, WarGalley said:

Is this the trump version with americans winning independence by taking control of the British airports? 

54 minutes ago, red snow said:

Is this the trump version with americans winning independence by taking control of the British airports? 

LOL, just posted about this in the politics thread.  All that time yesterday watching the miniseries, I was like - where is the US Air Force?

2 hours ago, DMC said:

LOL, just posted about this in the politics thread.  All that time yesterday watching the miniseries, I was like - where is the US Air Force?

I think someone needs to make a TV show revealing the true steam-punk history of the American war of independence. Trump can use his insider presidential knowledge of the truth and it'll make for a cool yet bizarre show. Maybe HBO can do it as a replacement of the Confederate show benioff & weiss wanted to make? I hear the union won because they were able to scupper the confederate aircraft carriers and control all the satellites.

3 hours ago, nah said:

I feel like True Blood and Deadwood could swap titles and still have both make a lot of sense.

They could do a crossover show called true wood or dead blood depending on what aspect of the show they want to emphasize

18 minutes ago, red snow said:

They could do a crossover show called true wood or dead blood depending on what aspect of the show they want to emphasize

True Wood is a better title for True Blood anyway !

On 7/3/2019 at 1:05 PM, RedEyedGhost said:

I just finished a long slow rewatch of that on Sunday.  One of the best network television shows of the past decade.

Agreed (regarding Person of Interest), I can't think of anything that was better.

I keep fanboy-ing over this show these days.  It does an excellent job of combining the numbers of the week with the season long storyarcs.  Also, I'm enjoying the comic book feel that it has with its Rogues Gallery and its two main characters who seem to be channeling Bruce Wayne and Lucius Fox.

I loved Midsommar. Ari Aster is definitely not a one-hit wonder. It’s not quite as good as Hereditary, but it’s also a very different type of film (although both are heavy on themes of dealing with grief). To start with I highly recommend seeing it on the big screen, as it’s absolutely gorgeous. One of the best looking films I’ve seen in awhile. And I’m definitely going to be watching out for Florence Pugh going forward. She was excellent. Think the only other thing I’ve seen her in before this was Outlaw King? I’ve seen some people mention the runtime being a bit too long, but honestly for 2 1/2 hours i thought the pacing was fine.  I was never bored once. 

On a side note, I think Aster is going to try and have at least one really gruesome wtf type scene in each of his films. This one certainly did, but I won’t spoil it...

On 7/4/2019 at 6:43 PM, RedEyedGhost said:

The fuck?  Why on earth is there a need for more than one competitive eating organization?  The 1st place prize for that competition today was only $10K....

The Ocho

2 hours ago, Nictarion said:

I loved Midsommar. Ari Aster is definitely not a one-hit wonder. It’s not quite as good as Hereditary, but it’s also a very different type of film (although both are heavy on themes of dealing with grief). To start with I highly recommend seeing it on the big screen, as it’s absolutely gorgeous. One of the best looking films I’ve seen in awhile. And I’m definitely going to be watching out for Florence Pugh going forward. She was excellent. Think the only other thing I’ve seen her in before this was Outlaw King? I’ve seen some people mention the runtime being a bit too long, but honestly for 2 1/2 hours i thought the pacing was fine.  I was never bored once. 

On a side note, I think Aster is going to try and have at least one really gruesome wtf type scene in each of his films. This one certainly did, but I won’t spoil it...

I can’t see it until next week. Glad you liked it though.

4 hours ago, Triskele said:

The Ocho

"I'm being told that Joey Bag O' Donuts has decided to perform the challenge while sitting on a functioning toilet."
"It's a bold strategy, Cotton, let's see if it pays off."

Saw Spider Man, was pretty good, not excellent. I think it threw me off a little to see Zendaya in this role after watching a few episodes of Euphoria, so very very different.

Binged Stranger Things 3 already and thought it was really good. Tons of 80's pop culture in this one.

11 hours ago, Heartofice said:

True Wood is a better title for True Blood anyway !

It certainly was! 

56 minutes ago, dbunting said:

Saw Spider Man, was pretty good, not excellent. I think it threw me off a little to see Zendaya in this role after watching a few episodes of Euphoria, so very very different.

Binged Stranger Things 3 already and thought it was really good. Tons of 80's pop culture in this one.

Going to see spidey tomorrow. I think they may have over egged it with the "end of phase 3" stuff but I've avoided the spoiler that seems to clinch people over whether it's good or great.

"Dark" is consuming my binge watching time. This should probably be a flagship Netflix title - embracing non English international talent and designed for binge watching due to the plot. Hopefully it'll be a slow burn success. Otherwise it's going to be that frustrating thing where the best SF show in years escapes notice just because it isn't in English or Japanese animation. That or the time-travel plot is simply too niche.

Stranger things seems to have a self-confidence this season which makes the show feel utterly at ease with what it wants to be.

Having never seen neon genesis evangelion, I'm definitely getting my money's worth off Netflix this month

12 hours ago, red snow said:

"Dark" is consuming my binge watching time. This should probably be a flagship Netflix title - embracing non English international talent and designed for binge watching due to the plot. Hopefully it'll be a slow burn success. Otherwise it's going to be that frustrating thing where the best SF show in years escapes notice just because it isn't in English or Japanese animation. That or the time-travel plot is simply too niche.

I watched S1 and enjoyed it for the most part, having trouble w S2 for some reason. I got around 3 episodes in and lost interest. Think I am burned out on shows with multiple time lines? I know this has to have that but my mind is just over having to remember all the different things happening in each one, who is in each one, how they are tied to the other ones. I am sure I'll pick it back up but just not for a while.

10 hours ago, dbunting said:

I watched S1 and enjoyed it for the most part, having trouble w S2 for some reason. I got around 3 episodes in and lost interest. Think I am burned out on shows with multiple time lines? I know this has to have that but my mind is just over having to remember all the different things happening in each one, who is in each one, how they are tied to the other ones. I am sure I'll pick it back up but just not for a while.

Westworld season 2 burned a lot of us on non-linear storytelling. Although i read an article on what's known about season 3 and i think they are addressing the issues with season 2.

Dark for the most part is linear but with time-travel and it hardly ever uses the timelines to deliberately obfuscate what's happening.

Maybe worth revisiting once the show is complete. One flaw with the show is that it could easily come apart in the final season so it's a risky investment in that sense.  

On 7/6/2019 at 10:10 AM, red snow said:

Stranger things seems to have a self-confidence this season which makes the show feel utterly at ease with what it wants to be.

Having never seen neon genesis evangelion, I'm definitely getting my money's worth off Netflix this month

Having tried to watch Stranger Things directly after Dark I can say its a tricky thing to attempt. Dark requires so much concentration, something I will gladly give it, and is intelligent and well crafted Sci Fi. Stranger Things by comparison feels like Dark for morons when viewed together. I could barely get through the first episode of S3 of  ST because it seemed so bubblegum and lightweight. I'm still struggling, although I'm of the opinion that Stranger Things really isn't all that great anyway. 

I've also never seen Neon Genesis Evangelion, but since spotting it on Netflix its really caught my interest.