Watch, Watched, Watching: Getting Sneaky

RedEyedGhost

The Virtues is superb so far.As a person with alcohol issues I can tell you Merchant has nailed it acting wise.

That first tentative sip,then the long gulp,then top it up coz you don't want to see the bottom of the glass approaching,then the rest of it.

Don't know how he approaches his roles,method or otherwise but he really seemed like a man who'd been on a recent binge right from the off.Either that or he's made a close study of the subject.

And wow,skypelord!!

Undercover was a very good series. I found myself rooting for the dealers by the end of the series since the cops became much more despicable imo. Nice to see a Belgian series. Well Belgian/Dutch co-series. To top it off, they even visited St. Malo, one of my favorites places to visit in France.

Veep was hilarious as usual. Not the greatest series finale, but still funny.

Who saw the Leslie Jones "Dracarys!" burn down on Saturday Night Live of Alabama's old white men telling her what she can and can't do with her body?  As so much of what Jones does, it was perfect -- politically and pop culturally. She and her writers took what happened at the end of GOT's 4 and 5th episodes and deconstructed a black woman about to be killed by a white woman, addressing another white woman, ordering "Dracarys!"  And the white woman did.  

I watched The Sisters Brothers. I mostly liked its quirky take on the Western genre, although I'm still not sure how I feel about the final section. John C. Reilly and Joaquin Phoenix were great as the two brothers, and I liked how our perspective on Reilly's character changes as the film goes on, he initially feels like he is in his brother's shadow but that is misleading.

I also watched The Old Man and the Gun, which I thought was a great low-key heist movie. There were suggestions it would be Robert Redford's "final" movie (even if we now know that isn't technically true), and I think it would be a fitting end to his career if it was. He puts in a charismatic performance, particularly in the scenes between him and Spacek and with Danny Glover and Tom Waits. It's hard not to like his character even if he is a bank robber, but the film does manage to throw in a few scenes showing some of the consequences of his actions as balance. I liked the directing as well, it mostly proceeds at a fairly steady pace but with some contrasting scenes such as the playful highlight reel of his prison escapes.

On 5/18/2019 at 4:09 AM, Triskele said:

You're in for a treat.  This is a great show.

Next season is finally on its way coming this August, so you won't have to wait so god damn long for more like I did.  

Watched the first two episodes, really enjoying it. Definitely not a run of the mill cop show, but it's still got all the right ingredients - great chemistry between the two lead characters, good story-line and the attention to detail is on point as well.

Thought the interview scenes with Kemper were very well done, even if it did piss off their boss!

Watched The Girl in the Spiders Web and its entertaining but I still loved the original Swede trilogy best, noone has touched Noomi Rapace as Lisbeth yet.

eta: Also just finished The First Man.

This is a movie about the lead up and accomplishment of the first manned lunar landing.

Was a total coincidence to find Claire Foy (from Crown) was the lead actress in both the blue rays I rented lol. I wasnt familiar with her as I havent seen Crown yet. She has some brilliant blue eyes, rather striking.

Ryan Gosling plays lead actor as the Neil Armstrong character, he's spot on as usual.  The guy playing Buzz Aldrin many will recognize from the Strain show.

My main regret is not seeing this in Imax which is not available in this backwater region sigh.....

Watched The Last Unicorn with a bunch of friends feeling nostaglic for 80's fantasy movies.  The moment Amalthea early on says "Say my name!  Say my name!" I shouted at the screen "Heisenberg!!"

4 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Watched The Girl in the Spiders Web and its entertaining but I still loved the original Swede trilogy best, noone has touched Noomi Rapace as Lisbeth yet.

eta: Also just finished The First Man.

This is a movie about the lead up and accomplishment of the first manned lunar landing.

Was a total coincidence to find Claire Foy (from Crown) was the lead actress in both the blue rays I rented lol. I wasnt familiar with her as I havent seen Crown yet. She has some brilliant blue eyes, rather striking.

Ryan Gosling plays lead actor as the Neil Armstrong character, he's spot on as usual.  The guy playing Buzz Aldrin many will recognize from the Strain show.

My main regret is not seeing this in Imax which is not available in this backwater region sigh.....

First man is great. One of those rare films that get better after seeing it and letting it sink in and in my top 5 of last year. Really good filmaking from top to bottom which is sadly quite rare today especially in the screenplay department.

22 hours ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

Been binging The Rain S2 and Catch-22 (miniseries) since yesterday.Only breaks for food and the loo. :P

Didn't realise catch 22 was out. The trailer looks pretty good which is saying something as i really dislike the book (although i appreciate it was meant to be incredibly frustrating and annoying)

I'm watching The Looming Tower at the moment which is ok. I did find it quite amusing when at one point the FBI agents were meant to have travelled to Manchester and it was absolutely 100% clearly not Manchester. Other than that it seems decent enough.

I've got the last series of Game of Thrones recorded. I suppose I'd better get round to watching it before I get spoiled. I'm not the biggest fan of the tv show but I've lost confidence the books are going to get finished so this is it. It's still a bit weird to me as someone who read the books and was on this site before the tv show started just how pervasive it's become.

12 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

Watched The Last Unicorn with a bunch of friends feeling nostaglic for 80's fantasy movies.  The moment Amalthea early on says "Say my name!  Say my name!" I shouted at the screen "Heisenberg!!"

I recently bought this for like $5 on Itunes. I haven’t watched in decades but the fire bull scared the shit out of me when I was just a pup.

I’m gonna binge the last season of Veep now. Heard it finished with a bang.

I saw John Wick 3 over the weekend and it was awesome. Echo everyone above. It's exactly what you think it is and does it really well. Keep them coming!

Saw GOT after coming back from John Wick... brutal.

Hanna S1 was ok but not a stand-out.  Perhaps there are just too many of the same kind of show now.

Veep S7 was very good.  Still funny, profane and littered with some of the worst human beings.  This final season went further into farce and yet seemed staid/understated compared to what has unfolded in RL white house politics.

GoT S8 has been debated endlessly elsewhere.  I'm just relieved it's finished.

The Sisters Brothers didn't work for me.  Perhaps I was just too tired that evening, and my wife wasn't enjoying it.  I loved the book but the movie felt a bit too slow.  The characterization worked better in prose.

I'm looking forward to John Wick 3 but I'll probably wait until it's available for streaming.  My wife doesn't enjoy the violence so it won't merit a trip to a theater.

TBBT finale: perhaps I'm churlish considering this is only a sitcom but I was really turned off by the plot arc of Sheldon and Amy winning a Nobel prize.  It was just far too smug and self-congratulatory.  These are sitcom characters who just self-awarded one of the most significant/profound awards in our global society, and it was to be taken sincerely.  It's as if Phoebe from Friends won the Nobel peace prize and was played as a "true" story line that the audience should accept.  If they played it for bumbling humor -- like when Howard went to the ISS -- then it might have worked.  But their arc of "we're the greatest intellects on the planet" (and the audience should just ignore that a neurobiologist is supposedly breaking unprecedented new ground in theoretical physics), "is it ethical to unmask these other unworthy buffoons who are trying to share our prize?", "how does Amy act as a standard-bearer for all women in science?", and finally "should I acknowledge the quotidian concerns of my friends so that they don't resent me?".  Sheldon's arrogant, autism-as-quirks schtick was reasonably funny because it occasionally bumped up against the reality that his self-proclaimed genius was nothing of the sort, e.g. when he pushed his papers on George Smoot and Stephen Hawking only to have them ridiculed (and even Kripke was far ahead of him on designing a fusion reactor).  But now the writers of a sitcom concocted a ridiculous premise -- nothing in their "super asymmetry" ever sounded remotely intelligent or intelligible -- that diminishes the significance of actual Nobel winners.  It ground my gears.  I know, I know: I'm such a curmudgeon.  

33 minutes ago, Mexal said:

Saw GOT after coming back from John Wick... brutal.

That's a comedown and a half.

4 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

TBBT finale: perhaps I'm churlish considering this is only a sitcom

It's fine to be churlish about TBBT. Though I've had a minor change of heart because even though I hate it feirily because I think it's an insult to the nerds it's purporting to be on the side of, I have a mate who just recently put up a heartfelt post about how much it means to him that a show made him confident enough to be nerdy in public, so it's clearly not like that for everyone.

Saw John WIck 3 this weekend and loved it, far better than part 2 and as good if not better than the original. Halle Berrys' dogs are what Direwolves should have been in GOT.

GOT. I am happy and sad it's over. Loved the series, hated the trolls that appeared. Glad to see a story from beginning to end. Which leads me to

TBBT I loved the ending. We have seen the whole time that the Nobel Prize was going to happen. I also loved that Young Sheldon tied it in to their season finale.

BBC's Les Miserables was fanatastic. David Oyelowo's Javert was the first Javert I actually felt pity for. Great cast, great adaptation of the novel. My only issue is Paris scenes obviously filmed in Brussels.

Archived