The Monkey

Chernobyl (miniseries)

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Trebla said:

What made the body horrors even more terrifying was the reveal that they couldn't even give the worst victims pain medicine because of the breakdown of cell structure.The agony they must have felt is the thing of nightmares. 

Jeebus, yes.  Destroyed so absolutely on the cellular level that meds can't even get in anymore but still alive enough to feel pain.  I seriously wondered if the episode would see any mercy killings.  

@Werthead Jared Harris is God

ETA:  SS is so good in this too.  He's Michael the Angel or something.   

Edited by Triskele

Jesus this show.

That this isn't something that's talked about more is unbelievable.  I remember fringes of it being talked about on the news when I was in junior high, but I had no idea.

And Jared Harris is spectacular. How he's "under the radar" is mind boggling...

1 minute ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

And Jared Harris is spectacular. How he's "under the radar" is mind boggling...

I mean all I can think of is a combination of hitting stride a bit later in life, not a "leading man" type....but he's so great in everything I've seen him in, this show as much as anything.  

I just IMBD's him and am worried about my cognition because I'd totally forgotten about The Expanse, and I have no recollection whatsoever of him playing US Grant in Lincoln.  I am usually thinking of Mad Men, The Terror, and The Crown.  

Just now, Triskele said:

I mean all I can think of is a combination of hitting stride a bit later in life, not a "leading man" type....but he's so great in everything I've seen him in, this show as much as anything.  

I just IMBD's him and am worried about my cognition because I'd totally forgotten about The Expanse, and I have no recollection whatsoever of him playing US Grant in Lincoln.  I am usually thinking of Mad Men, The Terror, and The Crown.  

His role as Grant wasn't large, but it's actually one of my favorites...and his turn as Moriarty in Sherlock Holmes Game of Shadows...

11 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

From a quick search it is said that a person who is internally contaminated, like the husband, can spread the radioactive material through his blood, sweat or urine. So hugging and touching him was in fact somewhat dangerous. 

Wow that’s pretty bad!, I’m guessing it wouldn’t be as severe as the people who were exposed to the original material though because the concentration would be far less?.

Either way I agree with the other poster who thought there might be mercy killings of the afflicted, think I’d rather an AK47 to the head than radiation sickness!.

Brilliant show, easily the best television of the year. Quite grim though, as I was watching E1 I couldn't stop myself thinking how every single one of these people must be dead now.

Good god this show is tense! Which is incredible because I know roughly whats going to happen. Yet I'm still on the edge of my seat shouting at people for being so stupid. 

Yep, definitely one of the best things I've seen this year. Have to say Jared Harris is brilliant. I always think back to his character in the Expanse because its SO far away from most of the characters he tends to play. I could watch him in anything. 

Been watching the show this weekend. 

It's absolutely brilliant. There's an almost cosmic, Lovecraftian dread about the whole affair; the insidious, invisible horror killing people off and poisoning the land whilst bureaucrats bumble around not really understanding what nightmare they are living through.
The fact it was a real event (in fact it still IS a real event and will be for thousands of years) makes it even more terrifying I think than any horror nonsense spewed out of Hollywood these days.

I've read quite a lot about the accident and cleanup and my father works in the industry so i've grown up with nuclear power just being "normal" i guess you could say. It's quite a badly understood science really and a lot of the general public just look at something like Chernobyl and assume that this was standard in the industry.
I hope to god that this series at least shows some people that the accident and all the mess around it was far, far from normal and absolutely not the sort of thing that would happen in many other countries. Shoddy construction & maintenance, poor safety practices, unwillingness to question the party lies, unwillingness to admit to any wrong doing, lack of concern for human life.....it all wove a nightmare that could really only happen in the USSR.

17 hours ago, dooog said:

Brilliant show, easily the best television of the year. Quite grim though, as I was watching E1 I couldn't stop myself thinking how every single one of these people must be dead now.

They're not, though. Good example is that the three guys who went into the power station at the end of Episode 2 to close the sluice gates are all still alive.

10 minutes ago, Werthead said:

They're not, though. Good example is that the three guys who went into the power station at the end of Episode 2 to close the sluice gates are all still alive.

Two of them are, although one of them died back in 2005 (but not from anything radiation-related - it was heart disease). 

I've watched the first two episodes at least three times each - they're incredibly re-watchable. I'm trying to work myself up to watch the third episode again, but it's so incredibly sad to see what happened with the firefighters. Jared Harris is excellent unsurprisingly - only thing I can think of where he was underwhelming was as Moriarty in Sherlock Holmes 2, and that's because they didn't give him much to work with. 

8 minutes ago, Spring Bass said:

Two of them are, although one of them died back in 2005 (but not from anything radiation-related - it was heart disease). 

I've watched the first two episodes at least three times each - they're incredibly re-watchable. I'm trying to work myself up to watch the third episode again, but it's so incredibly sad to see what happened with the firefighters. Jared Harris is excellent unsurprisingly - only thing I can think of where he was underwhelming was as Moriarty in Sherlock Holmes 2, and that's because they didn't give him much to work with. 

Episode 3 is genuinely traumatic.

The podcast is very interesting as well. Apparently when Emily Watson's real-life counterpart tried to interview the third witness, they were hampered by the fact that "he no longer had a face."

The first draft of the script apparently tried to recreate that and HBO - HBO! - came back with notes and said, "We really, really do not need to see that under any circumstances." And the writer agreed so they just had the reaction shot.

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Werthead said:

The first draft of the script apparently tried to recreate that and HBO - HBO! - came back with notes and said, "We really, really do not need to see that under any circumstances." And the writer agreed so they just had the reaction shot.

They got into this on the podcast a bit and said that the viewer basically understands that what she saw was worse than what we'd already been shown as if that were possible.  

ETA:  There was something I couldn't quite follow in this episode when Skaarsgard blows up on the phone when the were observing the roof, but I didn't really catch what it was about.  Something related to what they were hearing the party was going to say publicly about the whole situation?  

Edited by Triskele

Everyone is raving about this, but it just sounds so depressing and heavy that I don't think I can face it. 

Sky are currently selling it as 'best TV show ever' based on the IMDB score, is this hyperbole or should it be in the conversation?

30 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Everyone is raving about this, but it just sounds so depressing and heavy that I don't think I can face it. 

Sky are currently selling it as 'best TV show ever' based on the IMDB score, is this hyperbole or should it be in the conversation?

I assumed it would be simply too depressing to even contemplate watching but I gripped me almost immediately. 

Its not something to watch before bed though, it stays with you.

I’d be interested to see the viewing figures for this. I feel like there should be a massive spike in viewership between episodes 1 and 2 (or maybe 2 and 3). Maybe its just anecdotal but after the first episode there seemed very little talk or publicity and then it suddenly seemed to explode. Wonder if the ratings reflect this

13 hours ago, Triskele said:

ETA:  There was something I couldn't quite follow in this episode when Skaarsgard blows up on the phone when the were observing the roof, but I didn't really catch what it was about.  Something related to what they were hearing the party was going to say publicly about the whole situation?  

The Soviets had asked the West Germans for a robot to try and collect the graphite on the worst of the 3 roofs. However, the Soviets lied about the level of the radiation so the robot was always doomed to fail. That's what he was so pissed about, after everything that has happened, the Central Committee is STILL toeing the "This doesn't happen in the Soviet Union" line.

This might have been the grimmest episode yet. The job the 3 soldiers had was brutal. 

The...I don't know that you call it music...the sound effects?  Throughout so many scenes.  It's hisses and static like.  It's like that odd musical instument who's name I forget, a thurma-something maybe?  It's the sound effects from a video game as you walk around, I'm of a mind of Wolfenstein game or the original Halo...

I don't know of that makes any sense, but it all just adds to the atmosphere of the show...

Based on what's happened so far, absolutely. This is up there with Threads and Edge of Darkness as an examination of human morality and life versus the power of science, except that Chernobyl gains a lot more from being a true story.

1 hour ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

The...I don't know that you call it music...the sound effects?  Throughout so many scenes.  It's hisses and static like.  It's like that odd musical instument who's name I forget, a thurma-something maybe?  It's the sound effects from a video game as you walk around, I'm of a mind of Wolfenstein game or the original Halo...

I don't know of that makes any sense, but it all just adds to the atmosphere of the show...

The TV show has the same sense of desolate, alien strangeness as the STALKER video games, which are set in and around the Chernobyl exclusion zone, with a similar nod to the Geiger counter as background noise (something that the Fallout games also use).

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

I won’t lie to you, yes it’s depressing, yes it’s bleak as fuck and we all know it doesn’t end well at all but at the same time it’s fantastic tv, the dialogue and scenes between some of the actors, the tension and some of it being really eerie.

Also to everyone else here I had an article in the news feed on my phone the other day about the author of a book called Mignight in Chernobyl watching the tv show and comparing it to the actual events, some was very accurate and some was dramatised for television according to them.

Has anyone here read the book?, I’m curious about reading it after I’ve finished what I’m currently reading.

My Russian partner finds it very interesting to watch too, she was born about 18 months after Chernobyl in the dying days of the Soviet Union so that era of history is pretty interesting to her, she finds the accents hilarious though.

Edited by Bittersweet Distractor

For those of us into scripted reality/horror... The Hot Zone on Nat Geo about the Ebola crisis in 1989 is two episodes deep so far... and its pretty horrifying... not Chernobyl level horrifying... but still worth a watch.... excellent cast too....