Targaryen's destiny

Ilissa

As we know: "the family resided in Valyria until Daenys Targaryen, also known as Daenys the Dreamer, the daughter of Lord Aenar Targaryen, had visions of a cataclysm that would come over Valyria." So Targaryens was saved by higher power for higher purposes - save the world from Others. Now the prince and the princess that were promised saved the world and... they are no longer needed?   

On 5/10/2019 at 8:04 PM, Ilissa said:

As we know: "the family resided in Valyria until Daenys Targaryen, also known as Daenys the Dreamer, the daughter of Lord Aenar Targaryen, had visions of a cataclysm that would come over Valyria." So Targaryens was saved by higher power for higher purposes - save the world from Others. Now the prince and the princess that were promised saved the world and... they are no longer needed?   

Could be....

The Starks could also fall under this category, as well.

5 hours ago, Tywin Tytosson said:

The Starks could also fall under this category, as well.

I do not think so. Starks have been in Westeros for eight thousand years. But Targaryens are only three hundred years.

11 minutes ago, Ilissa said:

I do not think so. Starks have been in Westeros for eight thousand years. But Targaryens are only three hundred years.

What was the first Stark King, Bran the builder's greatest job? 

I guess I don't understand the purpose of this thread. Are you saying that Targaryens were sent to Westeros by a higher power, 300 years too early, only to be squashed out and nearly go extinct, then come back and defeat the others and now have no purpose? Are you implying they will both be dead at the end of this since the NK is also?

5 minutes ago, dbunting said:

I guess I don't understand the purpose of this thread. Are you saying that Targaryens were sent to Westeros by a higher power, 300 years too early, only to be squashed out and nearly go extinct, then come back and defeat the others and now have no purpose? Are you implying they will both be dead at the end of this since the NK is also?

The moment they didn't have any Dragons, they were not needed. Which is why nearly going extinct also seems necessary if a higher power actually send Targaryens to the Westeros to save it,

Now both Targaryens and Starks accomplished their missions by saving Westeros from the White Walkers.

4 minutes ago, Erkan12 said:

The moment they didn't have any Dragons, they were not needed. Which is why nearly going extinct also seems necessary if a higher power actually send Targaryens to the Westeros to save it,

Now both Targaryens and Starks accomplished their missions by saving Westeros from the White Walkers.

But if a higher power sent them, then why did the higher power send them 300 years too early, and allow the dragons to die off in the first place? 

16 minutes ago, dbunting said:

But if a higher power sent them, then why did the higher power send them 300 years too early, and allow the dragons to die off in the first place? 

Easy, why would people in Westeros fight along side with the ''foreign invaders'' that they didn't know about? Or why Targaryens would try to save them and risk their lives for them? Unless they already established there before as rulers of the Westeros, only then they would try to save their own kingdom.

Imagine a northerner is going to Essos to save Essos people from monsters? That would be stupid and pointless. As Westeros laws don't apply to Essos, and slavery is legal in Essos even though it's not in Westeros, no one from Westeros is trying to stop those slavers in Essos.

1 hour ago, dbunting said:

I was hoping for the Targaryen Restoration, but now it seems to me more that they should leave... 

I would also say the Lannisters are done for too. Tywin only delayed the inevitable.

There are no gold mines left in the Westerlands, and Lannisters are nothing without their ''Lannister gold''.

In the end, Targaryens and Starks accomplished their mission by saving Westeros, and Lannisters have no power left in the Westerlands.

6 hours ago, dbunting said:

Depends on how much the Higher Power was involved in things and how much things had to happen just so.  One can argue that things happened just as the Higher Power wanted or needed to destroy the NK.  Alternatively, one can argue that the Higher Power is not omniscient and cannot see the future clearly.  Thus the Higher Power tries to arrange things at best it can.

There is also a potential move/counter-move sequence between several Higher Powers.

Different gods with different agendas.  Maybe 'demons' are involved also (eg; The Lion of Night, the NK, the Great Other).

None of the gods appear to be omnipotent, although Rhollor makes claims to that effect.

Drowned God, Old Gods, Rhollor, the Many-Faced God, the God of Death, Dothraki gods (?), the Harpy, The Seven, the CotF's 'gods' (do they have any?), gods of the giants (if they have any).  Yi Ti's gods. the CotF's Greenseers may qualify as gods (which includes the 3ER).  And how does Asshai fit into the pantheon(s)?

6 hours ago, Erkan12 said:

What was the first Stark King, Bran the builder's greatest job? 

Constructing the defenses to resist a return of the Others - the Wall, Winterfell, the Nights Watch, etc.  Including founding the dynasty that would lead said defense and the fight against any reappearance of the Others.

With the Others defeated, the dynasty has fulfilled its purpose.

9 minutes ago, Tywin Tytosson said:

Constructing the defenses to resist a return of the Others - the Wall, Winterfell, the Nights Watch, etc.  Including founding the dynasty that would lead said defense and the fight against any reappearance of the Others.

With the Others defeated, the dynasty has fulfilled its purpose.

The weird thing is that the Others were driven back before, but we don't know how it was done that time.

19 minutes ago, CrypticWeirwood said:

The weird thing is that the Others were driven back before, but we don't know how it was done that time.

Children of the Forest and the Giants helped the First Men, I guess there were more Children of the Forest and the Giants back then, enough to defeat them, and then Night King and a few WW escaped probably, as long as Night King lives, he could always create another army from the dead, so creating the Wall actually makes sense.

6 hours ago, CrypticWeirwood said:

Well the next HBO series is supposedly called The Long Night, so maybe we will see it? 

1 minute ago, Tywin Tytosson said:

We can certainly hope so.  :)

Isn't that GRRM's nickname for the series?  Not HBO's?

It's what they told him not to call it, like they don't want him to give it away but its too late?

8 hours ago, Tywin Tytosson said:

There is also a potential move/counter-move sequence between several Higher Powers.

No higher power wants the victory of the Others. Because it means the complete extinction of life in the world. And gods like R'hllor need followers.

But I think the real gods are Seven.

Archived