Football: pool in to the Final Spur of the season

7 minutes ago, Philokles said:

They only need one goal if they don’t concede again.

Yeah I know. I meant I can’t see Brighton scoring two goals in a match against, well, almost anyone actually but City in particular.

Oh well, that's it then.

It's a bit hard to know how to feel about this as a Liverpool fan. Going into the season I thought we'd come second but get about 80-85 points. To get 97 points and push City this far is an absolutely phenomenal performance and it's one of the best seasons in the history of English football but it feels a bit deflating to do this well and not win the title.

Just to give City a bit of credit, they were fantastic last year but I think this year's a significantly more impressive title win. 100 points last year was great but they had basically won the title by Christmas and they played most of the year under no real pressure to win. To only get 2 points less this year while being pushed all the way needing to win all the time is massively impressive. There's no doubt now they're the best team we've ever seen in the Premier League.

Appointing Solskjaer is starting to look like yet another blunder in a long line of blunders by United's board. We've genuinely been among the worst sides in the league these past two months. These last couple of months under Solskjaer have been worse than the last couple of months under Mourinho. 

Obviously I hope I'm wrong about Solskjaer but the facts are nothing has actually changed at the club -  we will be heading into yet another season with the same 'plans' that failed under three previous managers. If Solskjaer somehow succeeds, it'll be through sheer blind luck rather than good forward planning. The most likely scenario though is that he will be sacked by December. Really hope Levy fucks over Poch in the transfer window again. 

36 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Appointing Solskjaer is starting to look like yet another blunder in a long line of blunders by United's board. We've genuinely been among the worst sides in the league these past two months. These last couple of months under Solskjaer have been worse than the last couple of months under Mourinho. 

It wouldn't surprise me at all if he's gone in 1.5 seasons. Could even be next season. 

On the brighter side. Attending a rather dull 0-0, while enjoying your arch rivals throw away any hope of winning promotion this sason was great entertainment.

The whole stadium was busy singing one of their songs, while they were getting spanked at Paderborn. Schadenfreude is indeed a German word, (just imagine the entirety of Anfield singing Glory Man United with apparent joy, then you get the idea).

So...

Wer wird deutscher Meister? Ha-Ha-Ha-Es-Vau.

Even more fun the visiting fans were in on the fun.

8 hours ago, Raja said:

It wouldn't surprise me at all if he's gone in 1.5 seasons. Could even be next season. 

The Solskjaer appointment was clearly done on the back of that long unbeaten run, but in reality, they should have waited much closer to the end of the season. They had marketed it as an interim appointment, and Molde certainly weren't going to make a fuss if they had dithered for a bit longer. So the only pressure to permanently appoint him was whatever was perceived from the fans.

Mourinho had left under such a toxic atmosphere that any sort of improvement was likely to happen once he was gone, a longer time was needed to see if it was the real deal (which it seems that it wasn't). Now they're stuck rebuilding under an inexperienced manager, although admittedly experience didn't help Van Gaal (or Mourinho for that matter).

2 hours ago, Jeor said:

Mourinho had left under such a toxic atmosphere that any sort of improvement was likely to happen once he was gone, a longer time was needed to see if it was the real deal (which it seems that it wasn't). Now they're stuck rebuilding under an inexperienced manager, although admittedly experience didn't help Van Gaal (or Mourinho for that matter).

van Gaal did a very reasonable job however; at least imho. Yes, the football was not particularly great to watch, but it's not like he was a total failure or something. He qualified for CL football and won the one FA cup, while integrating Rashford and Lingard into the first team. Also Martial looked like really good player and up and coming player under him. I think he will look better, when the United fans will compare him to Moyes, Mourinho and Solskjaer and not to Ferguson in the future.

Brighton sack Chris Hughton.

It may be the right move, but I'm sceptical - Hughton has done well with what is ultimately a limited set of players. Of course, Brighton may draw the new Poch out of a hat somewhere, but I think it's more likely that the club will stagnate, struggle and get relegated.

Wonder where Hughton will end up next.

Archived