Football: pool in to the Final Spur of the season

Successful loan players can be a blessing and a curse for the team that takes them on loan.  Leicester will have a lot of competition now for Tielemans, and probably same for Everton with Gomes.  Chelsea’s transfer ban could see them hang on to some young players recently on loan, not least Zouma (Everton) — didn’t Rudiger get a bad injury? —, Abrahams (Villa) and a handful at Derby.  Loftus-Cheek has a bad injury and I think Hudson-Odoi is expected to miss some time too, so they may need some young squad players at the start of next season.  Similarly Kent, Wilson and Grujic will probably end up elsewhere than Rangers, Derby or Hertha after being key players for those teams.

Who else am I overlooking?

It seems like clubs should negotiate a concrete option to buy as part of any loan deal.

49 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Successful loan players can be a blessing and a curse for the team that takes them on loan.  Leicester will have a lot of competition now for Tielemans, and probably same for Everton with Gomes.  Chelsea’s transfer ban could see them hang on to some young players recently on loan, not least Zouma (Everton) — didn’t Rudiger get a bad injury? —, Abrahams (Villa) and a handful at Derby.  Loftus-Cheek has a bad injury and I think Hudson-Odoi is expected to miss some time too, so they may need some young squad players at the start of next season.  Similarly Kent, Wilson and Grujic will probably end up elsewhere than Rangers, Derby or Hertha after being key players for those teams. 

Who else am I overlooking?

It seems like clubs should negotiate a concrete option to buy as part of any loan deal.

Why would Liverpool move Grujic? He is playing regular first team football in a top tier league. I think he will stay there for another season, maybe two. He is not good enough to challenge for a spot at Liverpool quite yet imho (1-2 more seasons might change that). Kent and Wilson might get moved to a bigger league, if they find any takers.

41 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Why would Liverpool move Grujic? He is playing regular first team football in a top tier league. I think he will stay there for another season, maybe two. He is not good enough to challenge for a spot at Liverpool quite yet imho (1-2 more seasons might change that). Kent and Wilson might get moved to a bigger league, if they find any takers.

There was a report lately that they’ve set a largish fee for him (I think 25 million pounds was the figure) after he started attracting attention, including Atletico.  The suggestion was that Klopp doesn’t really fancy him.  Personally I’d like to see him get a chance as a back-up to Fabinho.  

But after a successful loan last season at Cardiff — helping them get promoted to the PL — and now a very good season at Hertha, there probably isn’t a lot of further value to Liverpool to loan him out again.  The player might get injured or disaffected (and run down his contract), but he probably won’t enhance his market value much further.  It’s better for Liverpool to either sell him while his reputation is high or else bring him into the squad now that he has proved himself.  Loaning him indefinitely is not good for the player or Liverpool.  So either way he probably won’t be back at Hertha. It’s not dissimilar to Cardiff: they were very upset not to get him back for a second loan but it didn’t suit Liverpool or the player to have him repeat his loan there at a team that would struggle in the PL and park the bus each week.  Hertha was a better alternative to give him room to play and develop, but now he has probably outgrown Hertha too.  If he is going to a club any bigger than Hertha, they should really be paying full price for the player.

Kent and Wilson are a bit different.  Kent perhaps found his level (top of SPL, lower level of PL) but Liverpool needs to get the maximum fee which Rangers may not be able to pay.  Wilson is an unknown quantity with a great knack for scoring but still a tendency to go missing for long periods.  He may need somewhere other than Derby to sharpen that focus because he looked a bit too comfortable there.

14 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Would you prefer they approached Klopp about the prospect of managing Messi, while he is still around?

Anyway, Martinez has done a very decent job at the Belgian FA, hasn't he?

And arguably, the players available at Barca are perhaps better suited for the way he wants to play football. Although, I admit, it would be funny, if by some freak accident Allerdyce ended up at Barca, and they switched over to hoofball. :lol:

He still can't organize a defense to save his life. His ineptness on that score is really very surprising. Given Barca's style of play, he would bomb utterly and be fired in nine months, with the team fifth in La Liga. 

But if it's former Everton managers Barca wants, Moyes is out of a job. Or they could nab Rhino from our U23s.

11 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

There was a report lately that they’ve set a largish fee for him (I think 25 million pounds was the figure) after he started attracting attention, including Atletico.  The suggestion was that Klopp doesn’t really fancy him.  Personally I’d like to see him get a chance as a back-up to Fabinho.  

Ah ok, then it makes sense. I was still writing under the assumption that you'd sent him on loan to aid his development and get back a player to challenge for a starting spot. If you want to sell him, then indeed now is as good a time as any. But given that he is playing on the 6 (aka deepest lying midfieler) and you only have Fabinho for this position atm (yes, Henderson can play it, but he prefers to play a bit further up, and yes, you also have Milner who is quite versatile), I thought it might be good idea to hold on to him and park him at Hertha for another year and see if and how he progresses further.

Full statement: 

The so called fit-and-proper Premier League process is a standard procedure which will take time, and we are doing all we can to assist the Premier League during this process.

Terms have been agreed between us and Mike Ashley; these terms have been reflected in a document, signed by both parties, which has been forwarded to the Premier League.

The proof of funds statement was forwarded to Mike Ashley’s lawyers on 17 April 2019.

We feel the need to clarify this point in order for the fans and the general public to understand the timelines.

-Midhat Kidwai

9 hours ago, Rorshach said:

Moyes is out of a job

Yes, but Moyes is the sort of manager you can only realistically wish on Rangers as a curse. I don't think there are any takers for him outside the UK.

Anyway, I thought Barca has denied the rumors about them being in the market for a new manager.

Just now, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Yes, but Moyes is the sort of manager you can only realistically wish on Rangers as a curse. I don't think there are any takers for him outside the UK.

Anyway, I thought Barca has denied the rumors about them being in the market for a new manager.

It sort of sounds like you think Martinez is someone you can wish on Barca...

Depends. Like I said, I think he has worked quite well as manager for Belgium. Barca is a more attacking team with a way higher quality of players. So I can at least roughly see where they would be coming from. With Moyes, that just beats my imagination. However I would also think, that if they were in the market for a new manager, they would probably approach ten Haag, Pochetino or Klopp way before the name Martinez pops up on their shortlist.

Rafa could do it with proper financial backing over the next 5 years but I wouldn't expect the 'top 6' becoming the 'top 7' before that. Newcastle should be able to immediately compete for 7th place with Leicester, Wolves, Everton and West Ham though. 

We won't be seeing a Chelsea or Man City type revolution at the club because of the restrictions that are in place now (FFP and the premier league's Short Term Cost Control) which did not exist back then. If you recall, when Abramovich came in, Chelsea were posting the biggest losses in football history for a good few years. Man City's wage bill used to be bigger than the club's gross revenue for years as well. Newcastle will not be able to spend with such abandon due to STCC and FFP. 

It's also worth remembering that the gap between the top 6 and the rest is vast. Using United as an example illustrates just how big the gap is: after 17 games we had our worst start to a league campaign for 28 years. Our last 9 games we were even worse than we were under Mourinho. We were complete and utter shit for two-thirds of the season but still guaranteed a top 6 finish with 5 games to spare and the teams below us didn't even have European competition to contend with either. 

2 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Depends. Like I said, I think he has worked quite well as manager for Belgium. 

Yeah, he really hasn't though - and that's been said by the players themselves. Putting Belgium's success down to the manager is a pretty facile reading of the situation. 

2 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Depends. Like I said, I think he has worked quite well as manager for Belgium. Barca is a more attacking team with a way higher quality of players. So I can at least roughly see where they would be coming from. With Moyes, that just beats my imagination. However I would also think, that if they were in the market for a new manager, they would probably approach ten Haag, Pochetino or Klopp way before the name Martinez pops up on their shortlist.

I really can't.

But then again, you haven't had the "pleasure" of watching how he does week in, week out. 

Archived