Football: pool in to the Final Spur of the season

Good luck to our liverpool and spurs fans. Whoever wins or loses, try to behave with some dignity tonight on social media. Some of my acquaintances have already been cringey bell ends, don't be that person. 

23 minutes ago, Rorshach said:

Can't say I support an interpretation where kicking the ball into an arm gives a penalty when the arm is there for a reason. 

It's for wiping his arse in his case.

10 minutes ago, redriver said:

Spurs way ahead on possession stats.We're a bit too disjointed for my liking at this point.

The possession I getting us nowhere. We don’t look dangerous in the final third and our final balls are just not good enough. Everyone looks shaky and really it looks like a mistake to have started Kane

Plus it’s only a matter of time before we let a goal in trying to play out of defence like that 

45 minutes ago, Rorshach said:

That's the thing - it did. 

Sissoko's communicating.

So you're saying Mane should have waited for Sissoko to finish communicating by using his arm? And when the ball hit him, it look like he attempted to play it with his arm.

10 minutes ago, redriver said:

Spurs way ahead on possession stats.We're a bit too disjointed for my liking at this point.

I don't know why we are sitting deeper and letting them have possession.Firmino needs to get into the game more.

I think the first team to score in 2nd half will win it.

Of course I'd take 1-0 all day,but I,m hoping for better in the second half.Too much head ping pong and giving away possession.Not a classic exhibition so far.

3 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

So you're saying Mane should have waited for Sissoko to finish communicating by using his arm? And when the ball hit him, it look like he attempted to play it with his arm.

No, I'm saying there is a reason the hand is there. And it's too close for him to do anything about. 

Generally, people see movement in the arm in such situations - because people try to move it when they see the ball moving towards it - but since it's too close, they have no chance.

ETA: this is one of the points of having VAR, imo. Standing with your arm out constantly doesn't say communication. Pointing to the back that "you follow down the line, I'll cover if he cuts inside" is rather standard fare.

33 minutes ago, Rorshach said:

Can't say I support an interpretation where kicking the ball into an arm gives a penalty when the arm is there for a reason. 

How many perfectly legitimate free kicks/penalties do you suppose are entirely intentional? A minority is my guess. The fact that one doesn't mean to isn't a deciding factor.

Professionals will exploit the rules. If you allow defenders to stand with their arms outspread, they'll all be at it.

Archived