Football: pool in to the Final Spur of the season

Just now, BigFatCoward said:

It was dogshit. But with a 3 week layoff it was almost inevitable. 

It might make the upcoming England Netherlands game more interesting, with some of the players now back into it.

I'd give Allison mom over the last three games.Absolutely imperious,and tested to an extent that he hasn't always been through the season.But of course,well done to every squad member.

42 minutes ago, Ser Glendon Fireball said:

For how long Origi is gonna be considered as a "guy who's sometimes at the right place at the right time" then ? :p

4eva.But I for one reckon we should hold on to him for now.He has skills,sometimes I think he could commit more in some situations.

But no,to answer your question Origi deserves a gold statue in front of Anfield.Being in the right place at the right time is stock in trade for a good striker.

I’m so glad this Liverpool team got a major trophy after the season they had and after the CL final last year.  Very much deserved. 

Commiserations though to Spurs.  They had their own Cinderella story this year in the CL, and it’s tough to fall just short.

Not a great game though.  The long break until the final really breaks the rhythm of the players, plus there’s the heat, some nerves, and two teams that press so much they were nullifying each other.

After getting the early goal, Liverpool shifted to defensive tactics, which was smart but ruined the spectacle.  Spurs are more dangerous on fast counters.  Liverpool gave them lots of possession without space behind and Alisson didn’t have to make a save until around the 80th minute, and then made three in quick succession.  Liverpool had more and better chances throughout the match, but it stayed close and nervy until Origi finished well.

I still feel like we were robbed last year, but this is a nice consolation.  It would have felt better to beat Madrid and Ramos, but the trophy will have to be enough.

Both finalists peaked in the second leg of the semi-finals.  Hard to recapture that intensity of a miracle comeback.

45 minutes ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

Yeah,no. 6 baby! Allison MoTM for me.Feel really happy for Klopp and the players.Sometimes hard work really does pay off.

YNWA :)

So, when's the parade? :D

Yep.Allison for me.

Mediocre game not that I give a shit. Whole backline played very well. Midfield wasn’t great and Mane was the only one of our front three that had a good game imo. 

Next year I hope Keita or Ox can really make one of the midfield spots their own. Felt like that was the one missing piece in our team. Backup fullback and maybe a backup for Mane should be what we target in the market. Definitely think Origi has earned a new contract. 

So happy for Klopp 

So reflecting on it the next day it feels kind of odd that I've not really been that fussed over whether we were knocked out at any stage of the Champions League campaign but I'm quite relieved that we won last night. I think having such a good season, by a significant margin the best I've ever seen by a Liverpool side, and falling just short on two fronts would have been a big blow to the morale of the squad. Getting some tangible reward from how well they've played this year feels like it should provide a good platform to compete for more over the next few seasons.

Also while it wasn't a good performance last night it the solidity at the back provided by Van Dijk and Allison really did feel like a vindication of the big fees spent on them. Spurs dominated possession but they never really looked like scoring, Liverpool haven't been that secure at the back since Benitez left. 

ETA: This feels like it could be a big summer for Spurs. They could use getting to the final as a platform to kick on like Liverpool did last year, there's the potential there with a great manager, good squad and a fantastic new stadium, but they need to make some good signings. Alternatively with the potential for Alderwierald and Erikson to leave you could see Pochettino losing patience if he's not backed in the transfer market again this summer.

50 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

Also while it wasn't a good performance last night it the solidity at the back provided by Van Dijk and Allison really did feel like a vindication of the big fees spent on them. Spurs dominated possession but they never really looked like scoring, Liverpool haven't been that secure at the back since Benitez left.

Alisson Becker 18/19 :bowdown:

• Saved 122/156 (78%)
• 26 clean sheets
• 4.58 saves per goal
• 54 saves with score tied
• 42 saves at +1 game state
• 6 saves at -1 game state
• 102 of 122 with game in the balance (84%)
• 1 Golden Glove
• 1 Champions League Medal

Van Dijk :bowdown:

I think by mentioning van Dijk by name, you're (involuntarily) selling Matip short. As he was arguably the better of the CBs yesterday. Although I must say from the outfield players TAA was for me the game winner by intercepting Son in the first half.

If you are unable to attend the parade you can also watch it live across LFC’s official Twitter, Facebook and YouTube channels. You can also watch live coverage of the parade on LFCTV – Sky channel 425 and Virgin Media channel 544 – or on LFCTV GO. Coverage will begin at 3.45pm BST.

Archived