A Horse Named Stranger

Football: pool in to the Final Spur of the season

Yeah, curious to see what the other newcastle fans think - seeing the back of ashley is probably what they'ed like, I would imagine? 

Also, the EL final is making me nervous, we're losing to a giroud goal and I know it ( or a cech mistake)

3 hours ago, Consigliere said:

Supposedly this same group made an approach last year to take a stake in Liverpool.   The Liverpool CEO asked them to post 25 million in escrow beforehand to demonstrate they had financial means to back up their interest.  They withdrew at that point. 

So difficult to know if this group has any real financial depth of their own or just trying to parley the name of an oil state into a leveraged buyout.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Supposedly this same group made an approach last year to take a stake in Liverpool.   The Liverpool CEO asked them to post 25 million in escrow beforehand to demonstrate they had financial means to back up their interest.  They withdrew at that point. 

So difficult to know if this group has any real financial depth of their own or just trying to parley the name of an oil state into a leveraged buyout.

Sheikh Khaled is a member of the Abu Dhabi royal family though (cousin to Man City owner Sheikh Mansour according to reports). 

Edited by Consigliere

3 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Sheikh Khaled is a member of the UAE royal family though (cousin to Man City owner Sheikh Mansour according to reports). 

I cannot find the article on ThisIsAnfield because their search function is terrible.  But it was published a week or two ago when this Newcastle rumor first hit.

The gist was that the approach to Liverpool a year ago was made by undefined “representatives” of the sheikh, but it did not stand up to scrutiny.  It was easy for them to dangle the sheikh’s name but they didn’t appear to have any real means.  Perhaps this approach to Newcastle is more serious and has real backing behind it.

Newcastle’s stadium size, fan base and relative lack of funding or recent success make them a great target for investment, depending on the price demanded.  Although sportswashing seems less successful: the success of City and getting awarded the World Cup seems to have drawn more attention to abuses in the gulf rather than deflected it.

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

I cannot find the article on ThisIsAnfield because their search function is terrible.  But it was published a week or two ago when this Newcastle rumor first hit.

The gist was that the approach to Liverpool a year ago was made by undefined “representatives” of the sheikh, but it did not stand up to scrutiny.  It was easy for them to dangle the sheikh’s name but they didn’t appear to have any real means.  Perhaps this approach to Newcastle is more serious and has real backing behind it.

Newcastle’s stadium size, fan base and relative lack of funding or recent success make them a great target for investment, depending on the price demanded.  Although sportswashing seems less successful: the success of City and getting awarded the World Cup seems to have drawn more attention to abuses in the gulf rather than deflected it.

I could only find this article. It does say that proof of funds were requested but never received - it could be that those representative were full of shit but it could also be because the Sheikh was not interested in a minority stake. Per the statement by FSG in the article, they aren't interested in selling but are open to taking on minority investors.

ETA. some good news for Chelsea fans. Reports that Kante's injury isn't as bad as first thought and he has travelled with the squad. Not certain whether or not he will be fit enough to start though.

Edited by Consigliere

9 hours ago, Consigliere said:

I could only find this article. It does say that proof of funds were requested but never received - it could be that those representative were full of shit but it could also be because the Sheikh was not interested in a minority stake. Per the statement by FSG in the article, they aren't interested in selling but are open to taking on minority investors.

ETA. some good news for Chelsea fans. Reports that Kante's injury isn't as bad as first thought and he has travelled with the squad. Not certain whether or not he will be fit enough to start though.

Yes, that was the basic story.  It was referred to again in a new piece in the last week or two after the same sheikh was linked to a bid for Newcastle.  The recent version was more specific about 25 million as the amount of earnest money requested.

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Soylent Brown said:

The talk is that Martinez is going to be the next Barcelona manager. Interesting choice!

They are also looking at Koeman apparently. 

I reckon they should more ex Everton managers in for interviews and then hire Allardyce

Edited by Heartofice

3 hours ago, Soylent Brown said:

The talk is that Martinez is going to be the next Barcelona manager. Interesting choice!

Jesus talk about continuing to fail upwards 

Would you prefer they approached Klopp about the prospect of managing Messi, while he is still around?

Anyway, Martinez has done a very decent job at the Belgian FA, hasn't he?

And arguably, the players available at Barca are perhaps better suited for the way he wants to play football. Although, I admit, it would be funny, if by some freak accident Allerdyce ended up at Barca, and they switched over to hoofball. :lol:

And the second day of relegation play-offs is over now.

Ingolstadt won the first game away at Wiesbaden with 2-1 and today they lost their home game 3-2. Thus also this game has been decided by away goals in favour of the lower tier team. So Audi-City will play third tier football next year.

Martinez at Barca would be hilarious, but as Mark said, it's failing upwards. He was lucky to get the Belgian job to begin with. Surely there's no way they appoint him. 

Successful loan players can be a blessing and a curse for the team that takes them on loan.  Leicester will have a lot of competition now for Tielemans, and probably same for Everton with Gomes.  Chelsea’s transfer ban could see them hang on to some young players recently on loan, not least Zouma (Everton) — didn’t Rudiger get a bad injury? —, Abrahams (Villa) and a handful at Derby.  Loftus-Cheek has a bad injury and I think Hudson-Odoi is expected to miss some time too, so they may need some young squad players at the start of next season.  Similarly Kent, Wilson and Grujic will probably end up elsewhere than Rangers, Derby or Hertha after being key players for those teams.

Who else am I overlooking?

It seems like clubs should negotiate a concrete option to buy as part of any loan deal.

Just realized it is the first time ever there have been two all-English finals in the continental cups...

Arsenal and Spurs taking it would be absolutely wild

49 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Successful loan players can be a blessing and a curse for the team that takes them on loan.  Leicester will have a lot of competition now for Tielemans, and probably same for Everton with Gomes.  Chelsea’s transfer ban could see them hang on to some young players recently on loan, not least Zouma (Everton) — didn’t Rudiger get a bad injury? —, Abrahams (Villa) and a handful at Derby.  Loftus-Cheek has a bad injury and I think Hudson-Odoi is expected to miss some time too, so they may need some young squad players at the start of next season.  Similarly Kent, Wilson and Grujic will probably end up elsewhere than Rangers, Derby or Hertha after being key players for those teams. 

Who else am I overlooking?

It seems like clubs should negotiate a concrete option to buy as part of any loan deal.

Why would Liverpool move Grujic? He is playing regular first team football in a top tier league. I think he will stay there for another season, maybe two. He is not good enough to challenge for a spot at Liverpool quite yet imho (1-2 more seasons might change that). Kent and Wilson might get moved to a bigger league, if they find any takers.

41 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Why would Liverpool move Grujic? He is playing regular first team football in a top tier league. I think he will stay there for another season, maybe two. He is not good enough to challenge for a spot at Liverpool quite yet imho (1-2 more seasons might change that). Kent and Wilson might get moved to a bigger league, if they find any takers.

There was a report lately that they’ve set a largish fee for him (I think 25 million pounds was the figure) after he started attracting attention, including Atletico.  The suggestion was that Klopp doesn’t really fancy him.  Personally I’d like to see him get a chance as a back-up to Fabinho.  

But after a successful loan last season at Cardiff — helping them get promoted to the PL — and now a very good season at Hertha, there probably isn’t a lot of further value to Liverpool to loan him out again.  The player might get injured or disaffected (and run down his contract), but he probably won’t enhance his market value much further.  It’s better for Liverpool to either sell him while his reputation is high or else bring him into the squad now that he has proved himself.  Loaning him indefinitely is not good for the player or Liverpool.  So either way he probably won’t be back at Hertha. It’s not dissimilar to Cardiff: they were very upset not to get him back for a second loan but it didn’t suit Liverpool or the player to have him repeat his loan there at a team that would struggle in the PL and park the bus each week.  Hertha was a better alternative to give him room to play and develop, but now he has probably outgrown Hertha too.  If he is going to a club any bigger than Hertha, they should really be paying full price for the player.

Kent and Wilson are a bit different.  Kent perhaps found his level (top of SPL, lower level of PL) but Liverpool needs to get the maximum fee which Rangers may not be able to pay.  Wilson is an unknown quantity with a great knack for scoring but still a tendency to go missing for long periods.  He may need somewhere other than Derby to sharpen that focus because he looked a bit too comfortable there.