A Horse Named Stranger

Football: pool in to the Final Spur of the season

14 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Would you prefer they approached Klopp about the prospect of managing Messi, while he is still around?

Anyway, Martinez has done a very decent job at the Belgian FA, hasn't he?

And arguably, the players available at Barca are perhaps better suited for the way he wants to play football. Although, I admit, it would be funny, if by some freak accident Allerdyce ended up at Barca, and they switched over to hoofball. :lol:

He still can't organize a defense to save his life. His ineptness on that score is really very surprising. Given Barca's style of play, he would bomb utterly and be fired in nine months, with the team fifth in La Liga. 

But if it's former Everton managers Barca wants, Moyes is out of a job. Or they could nab Rhino from our U23s.

Grujic didn't have the best attitude in training while he was at Liverpool, apparently, which may be why Klopp doesn't fancy him.

11 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

There was a report lately that they’ve set a largish fee for him (I think 25 million pounds was the figure) after he started attracting attention, including Atletico.  The suggestion was that Klopp doesn’t really fancy him.  Personally I’d like to see him get a chance as a back-up to Fabinho.  

Ah ok, then it makes sense. I was still writing under the assumption that you'd sent him on loan to aid his development and get back a player to challenge for a starting spot. If you want to sell him, then indeed now is as good a time as any. But given that he is playing on the 6 (aka deepest lying midfieler) and you only have Fabinho for this position atm (yes, Henderson can play it, but he prefers to play a bit further up, and yes, you also have Milner who is quite versatile), I thought it might be good idea to hold on to him and park him at Hertha for another year and see if and how he progresses further.

Full statement: 

The so called fit-and-proper Premier League process is a standard procedure which will take time, and we are doing all we can to assist the Premier League during this process.

Terms have been agreed between us and Mike Ashley; these terms have been reflected in a document, signed by both parties, which has been forwarded to the Premier League.

The proof of funds statement was forwarded to Mike Ashley’s lawyers on 17 April 2019.

We feel the need to clarify this point in order for the fans and the general public to understand the timelines.

-Midhat Kidwai

56 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Full statement: 

i'll believe it when I see someone I've heard of signing for us. 

9 hours ago, Rorshach said:

Moyes is out of a job

Yes, but Moyes is the sort of manager you can only realistically wish on Rangers as a curse. I don't think there are any takers for him outside the UK.

Anyway, I thought Barca has denied the rumors about them being in the market for a new manager.

Just now, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Yes, but Moyes is the sort of manager you can only realistically wish on Rangers as a curse. I don't think there are any takers for him outside the UK.

Anyway, I thought Barca has denied the rumors about them being in the market for a new manager.

It sort of sounds like you think Martinez is someone you can wish on Barca...

Depends. Like I said, I think he has worked quite well as manager for Belgium. Barca is a more attacking team with a way higher quality of players. So I can at least roughly see where they would be coming from. With Moyes, that just beats my imagination. However I would also think, that if they were in the market for a new manager, they would probably approach ten Haag, Pochetino or Klopp way before the name Martinez pops up on their shortlist.

While I have no interest in being a corrupt middle east businessmans plaything, the 'big 6' becoming the 'big 7' would interest me. 

Rafa with money definitely gatecrashes the party. 

Rafa could do it with proper financial backing over the next 5 years but I wouldn't expect the 'top 6' becoming the 'top 7' before that. Newcastle should be able to immediately compete for 7th place with Leicester, Wolves, Everton and West Ham though. 

We won't be seeing a Chelsea or Man City type revolution at the club because of the restrictions that are in place now (FFP and the premier league's Short Term Cost Control) which did not exist back then. If you recall, when Abramovich came in, Chelsea were posting the biggest losses in football history for a good few years. Man City's wage bill used to be bigger than the club's gross revenue for years as well. Newcastle will not be able to spend with such abandon due to STCC and FFP. 

It's also worth remembering that the gap between the top 6 and the rest is vast. Using United as an example illustrates just how big the gap is: after 17 games we had our worst start to a league campaign for 28 years. Our last 9 games we were even worse than we were under Mourinho. We were complete and utter shit for two-thirds of the season but still guaranteed a top 6 finish with 5 games to spare and the teams below us didn't even have European competition to contend with either. 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Depends. Like I said, I think he has worked quite well as manager for Belgium. 

Yeah, he really hasn't though - and that's been said by the players themselves. Putting Belgium's success down to the manager is a pretty facile reading of the situation. 

Edited by Raja

2 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Depends. Like I said, I think he has worked quite well as manager for Belgium. Barca is a more attacking team with a way higher quality of players. So I can at least roughly see where they would be coming from. With Moyes, that just beats my imagination. However I would also think, that if they were in the market for a new manager, they would probably approach ten Haag, Pochetino or Klopp way before the name Martinez pops up on their shortlist.

I really can't.

But then again, you haven't had the "pleasure" of watching how he does week in, week out. 

Anysways, for old times (okay, Wenger's best days) sake, I hope Arsenal pulls this off. Hopefully in an exciting, seven-goal thriller.

The stands being in a different postcode to the pitch help hide all those empty seats. They need to have a word with West Ham’s carpet supplier, though.

I think that’s the right call but Arrizabalaga does touch him so I expect Arsenal fans aren’t going to agree.

There have been a few good moments but it's been a bit meh so far. Chelsea have been kicking lumps out of Arsenal whenever they get into their half, and the times they've gotten past that, the crosses have been poor. (Though Kepa has done his best to put them back into the Danger Zone! each time.)

Other than the last few minutes of the half, I think Arsenal have been clearly better. Hazard doesn't look quite on his game at the moment.

Chelsea better now after the break. And Giroud with a nice finish.

Yeah, great header from Giroud.

Arsenal need to start getting the basics right again, they're just giving the ball away now. Has Ozil come out for the second half yet?