Jump to content
A Horse Named Stranger

Football: pool in to the Final Spur of the season

Recommended Posts

23 minutes ago, Rorshach said:

Can't say I support an interpretation where kicking the ball into an arm gives a penalty when the arm is there for a reason. 

 

It's for wiping his arse in his case.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, redriver said:

It's for wiping his arse in his case.

Your arse may be in head height, but that's not the norm...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, not the best of CL finals footballing wise. Liverpool not bothered to do anything after they got their penalty after 30 secs, and Spurs not really finding a way to get into threatening positions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, redriver said:

Spurs way ahead on possession stats.We're a bit too disjointed for my liking at this point.

The possession I getting us nowhere. We don’t look dangerous in the final third and our final balls are just not good enough. Everyone looks shaky and really it looks like a mistake to have started Kane

Plus it’s only a matter of time before we let a goal in trying to play out of defence like that 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Rorshach said:

That's the thing - it did. 

Sissoko's communicating.

So you're saying Mane should have waited for Sissoko to finish communicating by using his arm? And when the ball hit him, it look like he attempted to play it with his arm.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, redriver said:

Spurs way ahead on possession stats.We're a bit too disjointed for my liking at this point.

I don't know why we are sitting deeper and letting them have possession.Firmino needs to get into the game more.

I think the first team to score in 2nd half will win it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Of course I'd take 1-0 all day,but I,m hoping for better in the second half.Too much head ping pong and giving away possession.Not a classic exhibition so far.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

So you're saying Mane should have waited for Sissoko to finish communicating by using his arm? And when the ball hit him, it look like he attempted to play it with his arm.

No, I'm saying there is a reason the hand is there. And it's too close for him to do anything about. 

Generally, people see movement in the arm in such situations - because people try to move it when they see the ball moving towards it - but since it's too close, they have no chance.

ETA: this is one of the points of having VAR, imo. Standing with your arm out constantly doesn't say communication. Pointing to the back that "you follow down the line, I'll cover if he cuts inside" is rather standard fare.

Edited by Rorshach

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Rorshach said:

Can't say I support an interpretation where kicking the ball into an arm gives a penalty when the arm is there for a reason. 

 

How many perfectly legitimate free kicks/penalties do you suppose are entirely intentional? A minority is my guess. The fact that one doesn't mean to isn't a deciding factor.

Professionals will exploit the rules. If you allow defenders to stand with their arms outspread, they'll all be at it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is our third European final in four years and whether it’s the long break or the unfamiliar setting or some nerves, we haven’t yet played fluently or naturally in any of them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, AncalagonTheBlack said:

And what's with the fucking long balls! That's not how we play.

I reluctantly finding myself in agreement with Souness,the midfielders aren't showing themselves for the ball.

Hoping for a good team talk from the boss.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, lacuna said:

How many perfectly legitimate free kicks/penalties do you suppose are entirely intentional? A minority is my guess. The fact that one doesn't mean to isn't a deciding factor.

Professionals will exploit the rules. If you allow defenders to stand with their arms outspread, they'll all be at it.

Sorry that this goes to you, as it is mostly from everyone not reading, but: read my posts! 

They form a whole.

Your strawman interests me not at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Rorshach said:

Sorry that this goes to you, as it is mostly from everyone not reading, but: read my posts! 

They form a whole.

Your strawman interests me not at all.

And as a whole, I disagree with them, and this was a relevant instance for me to quote. You're saying, essentially, that a ball that hits an outstretched arm isn't a foul. Come on. It's quite simple.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Liverpool is not playing for the second goal. Their game plan is to sit deep (on the lead), defend and not offer the quick Spurs players and space, and see out the game - and up the pace if needed (Spurs score). Basically what the Italian teams did in the 1980s and 1990s. One of those hoofballs getting thru, or getting deflected into Salah's or Mane's feet and hope that's curtains for Spurs. It's a risky tactic, as finding that on-switch can be very tricky, if Spurs were indeed to score.

At least that's how it looks to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, lacuna said:

And as a whole, I disagree with them, and this was a relevant instance for me to quote. You're saying, essentially, that a ball that hits an outstretched arm isn't a foul. Come on. It's quite simple.

You did not take my advice and continue with the strawman. Sorry, but that's what happened there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Rorshach said:

You did not take my advice and continue with the strawman. Sorry, but that's what happened there.

Then I must be word-blind. You're not saying it isn't handball because he didn't mean for it to hit his arm?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, lacuna said:

Then I must be word-blind. You're not saying it isn't handball because he didn't mean for it to hit his arm?

Indeed you must be.

I said the strawman was uninteresting, so I'm not replying again until you bother reading the posts.

Edited by Rorshach
wording

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×