Football: pool in to the Final Spur of the season

5 minutes ago, Triskele said:

How much weight / prestige is given to the UEFA championship over, say, the Premier League?  To ask another way, is Liverpool now on a much bigger high than Man City about how their season ended?  

Depends. For the usual suspects/serial winners of their domestic leagues. The CL is the thing they really want to win. Ask Barca, or Bayern, or Juve, or PSG, or even City. The domestic leagues are really the bread and butter thing, and CL is a bit like prom night. Ok, weird comparission and all over the place, but you get the idea.

With Liverpool it's somewhat different. They have this 30 year long draught (last time they won the league was in 1990 I think). They used to be the record champion until Ferguson and United came along and pushed them off their effing perch. So they desperately want to win the league above all. Preferably repeatedly to get their record back.

I think if you offered City to swap titles (them winning the CL and Liverpool winning the EPL in exchange) they would happily take it, and Liverpool would also sign up to that happily.

31 minutes ago, Triskele said:

I have another question about football, this one profoundly ignorant:

How much weight / prestige is given to the UEFA championship over, say, the Premier League?  To ask another way, is Liverpool now on a much bigger high than Man City about how their season ended?  

People will give you different answers about this - some people prefer winning the league, some the CL. Personally, I think the league is tougher and something I value more than the CL. But again, that's a personal view and is coloured by me being an Arsenal fan to an extent. To me, the league will always trump the CL.

Some clubs, like PSG, where winning the league is the *minimum* will obviously measure success by how close they come to winning the CL. You could also maybe put Juve in that catergory, given that they've won every league title in the last 4-5 years, off the top of my head?

( I also think trying to ascertain which club is on the bigger high or has had a more successful season is basically a pointless activity) 

59 minutes ago, Triskele said:

I have another question about football, this one profoundly ignorant:

As other have mentioned, it depends. For instance, Bayern have won 7 Bundesliga titles in a row and 8 out of the last 10. Barca have won 7 out of the last 10 La Liga titles. Juventus have won 8 consecutive Serie A titles and PSG have won 6 out of the last 7 Ligue 1 titles. These clubs can sleepwalk their way to league titles and so would place a greater emphasis on CL success.

Man City hasn't had quite the same level of domestic dominance as these other clubs so I'd think that they place more weight on domestic success than the above mentioned clubs - City this season became the first English side to complete a domestic treble so their season is a big success by any measure. But their performances is the CL over the years has been nothing to write home about (£1.2 billion invested in transfers and only one semi-final appearance to show for it). They will be desperate to rectify that.

ETA. Real Madrid are the one club that consistently prioritises the European Cup. That's not to say they they half arse it in La Liga as they've been incredibly successful historically but the European Cup is the trophy that's always on top of their list which is why they stand head and shoulders above every other club when it comes to European successes.

Dunno. 

Can't speak for Everton fans in general, obviously, but I would prefer the league first. We haven't won it since '87, and given the level of competition we're far off (the CL probably being actually a bit easier to win if you qualify, as it is a cup competition), but yeah, league first for me.

But to set my sights appropriately, I aim for a loss in next years League Cup. Preferably final, but semis will do.

yeah I’m probably way off on my comment that was just the impression I always had. I guess it depends on the stature of the club idk. Like I’ve seen lots of Barca write this season and previous seasons where they have won the league as failures cause of not winning the CL. 

Not really failure, it just took a lot of the shine from Barca's league titles, when Real won the big(ger) cup. You work for the league all year long, and the CL has that special glimmer. Biggest stage for club football and stuff.

I mean usually nobody's interested in watching you claim the title on a rainy monday in Stoke (outside England and some hardcore fans abroad, I mean). But everybody is watching you play the CL final.

Barca have dominated Spanish football over the past decade but it must rankle their fans to have watched as Real Madrid won 4 out of 5 CL titles especially given the rivalry. Barca have been well and truly a better side than Real Madrid over the past 6 seasons yet Real won 4 CLs to Barca's 1.  While the Messi era has seen Barca's most successful period in European competition the fans probably feel that the team was good enough to have won a couple more CLs.

CL is the most exclusive trophy available and involves the toughest competition.  Serial league winners face disappointment in the CL, which makes it a pinnacle trophy.  That doesn’t mean all fans prioritize it.  Most of the top players prioritize the CL though.  

Most of the mega clubs win lots of domestic titles so the CL is the biggest prize for them.  Smaller clubs rarely even qualify for the CL so it’s never even on their radar.  Large clubs can qualify for the CL without ever being likely to win it, e.g. Arsenal.  So sometimes those clubs downplay it, but if they actually win (e.g. Porto and Inter under Mourinho) then it’s an era-definining victory.  Spurs would have been in that camp if they won.

Liverpool are odd birds.  We were a mega club for a couple of decades and in those years the CL (called the European Cup then) was the pinnacle achievement while we won lots of domestic titles.  But now that it has been 30 years without a domestic title, and United usurped our record in the meantime, we would prefer a league title to end our drought.  And we have been unusually successful in the CL in the past 14 years — four finals, two victories — in a period when we were a large club but not a mega club.  So we’re a bit spoiled for CL success and we thirst for a league victory instead.  Scarcity/exclusivity, within the realm of realistic possibility, tends to determine what’s the most sought-after prize and Liverpool are very unusual in having more CL wins than league titles in the past 30 years.

It really depends on the context of the club. If you're in a league where winning domestic titles is perceived to be a given (PSG, Bayern) then of course the Champion's League is where it really matters.

But if you're in a competitive league, such as the EPL, the league title is important enough that many would rate it equal to the CL. With the EPL title, you're measuring performance over a much longer span of time, so the prize at the end has really meant something. Whereas in the Bundesliga and Ligue 1 I suspect the league is viewed as a formality and doesn't mean as much.

On 5/31/2019 at 6:04 PM, A Horse Named Stranger said:

On a not so serious note.

Conciously picking Chelsea as your team, I am not sure which series of life choices is more questionable, having friends who voluntarily worked for Paul Ryan or picking Chelsea as your favorite football club. I can see how one stumbles into a friendship with a Ryan staffer, but choosing Chelsea.

Come on now, how often does one get to root for a team with the same name as multiple women they’ve slept with?

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

Come on now, how often does one get to root for a team with the same name as multiple women they’ve slept with?

A more cynical person might ask at this point how many of your other Chelseas were racists bimbos, who found themselves a Russian sugardaddy to pay for her cosmetic surgeries.

But since we don't know anybody that cynical. I guess we best leave this line of questioning at this point. And just say, ok fair point, there are probably worse ways to pick a team.

37 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

A more cynical person might ask at this point how many of your other Chelseas were racists bimbos, who found themselves a Russian sugardaddy to pay for her cosmetic surgeries.

But since we don't know anybody that cynical. I guess we best leave this line of questioning at this point. And just say, ok fair point, there are probably worse ways to pick a team.

I’ll have you know, one of them used to be a professional go-go dancer. She was my high school sweetheart’s ex-best friend.

I feel a weeeeeeeeeee bit responsible for the last couple of posts and thread going a bit out of control

However Chelsea as the trashy racist girl, that got a complete makeover from her Russian sugar daddy felt like a oddly fitting analogy.

On the other hand...

1 hour ago, Mme Erzulie said:

Or Crystal Palace?

That could work as a stripper name, or the stage name for a Drag Queen (no offense to any Palace fans, it just works).

2 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

That could work as a stripper name, or the stage name for a Drag Queen (no offense to any Palace fans, it just works).

Plymouth Argyle sounds like a really high end madam in  1950's gangster movie.

Archived