A Horse Named Stranger

Football: pool in to the Final Spur of the season

Pepe won't make too much sense imho, and like I said, last thing I heard is United are frontrunners there. Whether they actually need a winger is a good question.

Werner is a somewhat more consistent rumour with regards to Liverpool, but he is also heavily linked to Bayern. I believe the latter being the safest bet. But he would make somewhat more sense than Pepe for Liverpool. However the most likeliest outcome I have heard with regards to Liverpool is, that they are happy with their squad as is. So there'll not be a major transfer action this summer. Assumigng none of the star players want out. The only thing they want is a back up for the fullbacks. LB in particular. This looks credible particular if Clyne leaves (likely).

Seems we only need back ups really.The only area I see room for improvement is in the attacking midfield role.Keita hasn't quite stepped up to the mark yet,but was showing signs of doing so.Milner is getting on in years but I think he should be kept for his versatility then we have Henderson and Ox and what about a recall for Grujic.

Been hearing good reports about him but I haven't seen him play.Is he good enough?

4 minutes ago, The Winged Shadow said:

Who would be a good LB at pool? I haven't seen many rumours about potential LB so not sure who are the leading candidates.

Tierney from Celtic could be a good signing - he's quite versatile as well. He's primarily a LB but can also play RB and CB. The only problem is that he is very loyal to Celtic and is a guaranteed starter there so it'll be difficult to convince him to leave to be a squad player at Liverpool. Tagliafico from Ajax could be another option. 

5 minutes ago, redriver said:

Seems we only need back ups really.The only area I see room for improvement is in the attacking midfield role.Keita hasn't quite stepped up to the mark yet,but was showing signs of doing so.Milner is getting on in years but I think he should be kept for his versatility then we have Henderson and Ox and what about a recall for Grujic.

Grujic has been pretty good for Hertha. However I think he is 1-2 years away from being good enough for Liverpool. And besides, he is not an attacking midfielder (at least that's not what he played this season). He would be an addition to the 6 (deepest lying midfielder position).

2 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Grujic has been pretty good for Hertha. However I think he is 1-2 years away from being good enough for Liverpool. And besides, he is not an attacking midfielder (at least that's not what he played this season). He would be an addition to the 6 (deepest lying midfielder position).

Yep,he's not a prolific scorer I see.Problematic trying to attract back ups but I suppose that's where your scouting team earns its keep.

On unlikely rumours.

Rumoredly there are again some clubs interested in signing Lewandowski. He is still a very good and complete forward. The interesting bit is, which clubs are interested. PSG and United.

United would make zero sense. Lewandowski wanted to depart for Real for the last couple of years. Not because of the bigger pay cheque, but becauase he really wants to have a better shot at winning the CL, which is something United is not really offering. And whether they will get there within 3 years is questionable at best. Add to that, Lewandowski still has a few years left on his current, and would thus not come cheap, if Bayern were really to be convinced to part with him. The arrival of Werner could generate somewhat movement there I guess.

PSG would make from that angle somewhat more sense. But their top priority should still be midfielders, midfielders, midfielders. And a voodoo doctor to make Neymar injury free.

1 hour ago, Consigliere said:

The Mirror and Metro are among the very worst sources for transfer news. While both Pepe and Werner would be very good signings for Liverpool, the problem they face is that their first choice front 3 are so good and work so well together that players like Werner and Pepe would think twice before joining.

In fairness, unlike many transfer rumours in the Metro, the Werner story does have some foundation, the RB Leipzig CEO mentioned Liverpool as a possible destination for him recently. Mintzlaff is pretty clearly trying to get someone else to bid for Werner to try and drive the price up for Bayern though.

We could do with strengthening the options after our first choice front 3 but it's hard to see us making a big signing. Really high profile players are going to be reluctant to spend half the season on the bench and how much money are we really going to be willing to spend on a squad player? 

I think we'll get a reserve left back with Moreno leaving, I doubt it'll be anyone particularly high profile though, it looks like Brewster is penciled in to replace Sturridge and I could see us trying to offload Mignolet and buying someone who's on lower wages. The only real possibility of a big signing is maybe someone who can play both attacking midfield and in the front 3 like they tried to get in Fekir last year. It's possible they could look at Oxlade-Chamberlain coming back and think that's no longer needed though.

Wilson's a interesting case. He's scored 18 goals for Derby this season playing a combination of midfield and winger. It's hard to see what more he could do out on loan and he does fit the profile of a versatile attacking player. They probably need to either give him a chance at Liverpool next season or sell him if they don't see him making it. I haven't really seen anything of Grujic this year but given he's apparently been good in the Bundeliga you'd think he's in the same boat. 

Origi isn't anywhere near good enough and Brewster's yet to really play for us. I keep hearing good things about him but I'll try not to get my hopes up until he's played against top level opposition a few times.

We really do need a quality forward to compete/rotate with the current main three. We've been pretty lucky with injuries this year, but a couple of spots of bad luck could derail our season if we don't address the gulf in quality.

Agreed on left back, though Milner still has one year left as far as I'm aware. Massively disagree about the idea of playing with defensive full backs, given how reliant we are on them to create chances for us. Gomez would be okay in games against lesser opposition, but TAA's creativity is just too important to us in tough games.

1 hour ago, ljkeane said:

Wilson's a interesting case. He's scored 18 goals for Derby this season playing a combination of midfield and winger. It's hard to see what more he could do out on loan and he does fit the profile of a versatile attacking player. They probably need to either give him a chance at Liverpool next season or sell him if they don't see him making it. I haven't really seen anything of Grujic this year but given he's apparently been good in the Bundeliga you'd think he's in the same boat. 

I don't think Wilson's good enough for us. He's done well in the Championship this year, but that's closer to his level than the top end of the Premiership.

Paul Joyce has also mentioned that Liverpool's primary focus is to invest in the existing squad - he mentioned that the club are planning on spending £150m - £200m on improved contracts for Salah, Mane, Firmino, Gomes, Alexander-Arnold and Robertson. There were reports that Liverpool want to offer Origi a new contract as well. I think if a player like Werner is a realistic possibility then Liverpool will definitely jump on it but I don't see them getting involved in a bidding war. It was reported that Steven Bergwijn could be another possible forward target. 

I really hope we don't offer Origi a new contract though. His all-round play is so far below every one in the squad.

He does find himself in the right place at the right time to put away a few goals now and again, but the reality is he's a 1-goal-in-4-games striker with little going for him other than his pace. I honestly don't think he'd consistently get games at any team in the top half of the table.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Soylent Brown said:

Origi isn't anywhere near good enough and Brewster's yet to really play for us. I keep hearing good things about him but I'll try not to get my hopes up until he's played against top level opposition a few times.

Origi has his limitations but I think he's shown this year he's fine as the third choice striker. He's big and fast enough to discomfort defenders and he's shown himself to be capable of chipping in with useful goals on a very limited amount of playing time. That's not a bad skill to have.

The issue is whether Brewster is good enough to be the second choice striker. I've got no real idea but they do seem to rate him very highly. We'll have to see how it goes. :dunno:

2 hours ago, Soylent Brown said:

I don't think Wilson's good enough for us. He's done well in the Championship this year, but that's closer to his level than the top end of the Premiership.

Yeah, it's possible that's true but he's succeeded at every level up to now. The likes of Maddison and Brooks have kicked on well from the Championship and it's arguably a better league than, say, the Eredivisie or maybe even the Primiera Liga.

Edited by ljkeane

I do hope Liverpool buy another high quality forward rather than rely only on Brewster and Origi.  I am glad the club is making room for talented youth to reach the senior squad but Brewster is not only young and inexperienced, he also just lost a full year and a half of development -- that's a very large % of his relevant playing career at this stage.  It's asking a lot to depend on him as our first back-up.  We were relatively lucky this season with injuries to our forwards, but that luck won't last.

I'm less convinced by Origi overall.  Despite the meme/banter about erecting his statue after this goals this season, he has been pretty limited as a player and was dreadful on loan in the Bundesliga.  

Wilson has done well on loan.  I'm not sure if he can realistically achieve much more than that from a loan, so it's time to either sell or include in the squad.  Same goes for Grujic and Kent.

Posted (edited)

Joyce wrote another article in The Times today but since it's behind a paywall, I'll just summarise the key points: 

Liverpool believe their team is effectively complete but acknowledge a need to strengthen at LB. Lloyd Kelly from Bristol City is being considered. 

Decisions are to be made on the various players on loan, including Wilson.

VVD should be next in line for a contract extension and there is no set transfer budget.

ETA. oh yeah, some concerning news for our resident Arsenal fans. David Ornstein mentioned on BBC radio 5 that if Arsenal fail to qualify for the CL, their transfer budget is expected to be around £40m.

Edited by Consigliere

Yeah, I've seen the Joyce article. Whilst it may be true that we're not looking beyond a left back, I don't think we'd shout too loudly about it if we were either, so really all we can do is wait and see.

I'd be kind of okay with Origi as our third choice, but I'm not sure he would be, and while I've high hopes for Brewster, I do find it a bit of a concern that Klopp didn't use him at all at the back end of the season - he's going to go from never having played a senior game to being second choice? He may need a season to settle in properly.

If Liverpool are really going to try to do the same thing again with that squad with no additions whatsoever they're gonna get into trouble. I was gonna say they at least need to add some depth but even that's not true everywhere- at a club in 'pool's position a player like Wijnaldum should be the depth. Henderson really too as popular as I know he was with the fans at one point (not sure he still is). Are they counting on Keita to become the player he seemed to be when they bought him? Coz if not they realistically need at least one more top quality midfielder, and even if he does they could probably do with a no10 of some sort.

I'm fine with Henderson being a starter, but, yeah, Wijnaldum should be depth.

We'll have Ox back properly next season too, so that's almost like a whole new player!

Congratulations to the filthy mackems, hope they go up, far too big a club for the championship, never mind the 1st division. 

29 minutes ago, Mark Antony said:

Allegri out at Juve. Pep you haven’t won Serie A yet man 

And Allegri hasn't won the PL yet, either. Chelsea, please.