Thank you for this journey

ferrelhadley

2 episodes to go an my thoughts are thank you. 
I grew up with "epic fantasy" and all the schmaltz that can entail.
Tolkein, Dragon Lance, Donaldson, Wheel of Time and Belgariad. 
Perhaps there is something of "with a whimper than a bang" about it but it gave me the ubermensch that is Sandor and his patter. Ygritte and her FU Westerosi polite society, Arya who had something like a 6 season 80s training montage to become the most skilled "Mary Sue" in the history of misunderstood memes, Bronn being Bronn. Lena Heady just owning the screen with imperious majesty. Tyrion and Samwell being the bookwankers we all wanted to be. So many epic characters and scenes. 
Thank you. 
What a fucking journey. What a ride. 
It has not been flawless but it has been incredible fun. 
What a pleasure it has been. 

17 hours ago, ferrelhadley said:
2 episodes to go an my thoughts are thank you. 
I grew up with "epic fantasy" and all the schmaltz that can entail.
Tolkein, Dragon Lance, Donaldson, Wheel of Time and Belgariad. 
Perhaps there is something of "with a whimper than a bang" about it but it gave me the ubermensch that is Sandor and his patter. Ygritte and her FU Westerosi polite society, Arya who had something like a 6 season 80s training montage to become the most skilled "Mary Sue" in the history of misunderstood memes, Bronn being Bronn. Lena Heady just owning the screen with imperious majesty. Tyrion and Samwell being the bookwankers we all wanted to be. So many epic characters and scenes. 
Thank you. 
What a fucking journey. What a ride. 
It has not been flawless but it has been incredible fun. 
What a pleasure it has been. 

Hear, hear!

Thank you to the show, the showrunners, the cast, the crew, and everybody involved.  It was for many of them an 'effort of love' that they put their 'all' into.

And thanks to GRRM for creating this rstory and this world.

I'm with Anthony. I will always cherish the early show - specifically the first season, which just aced every damn scene, back when every character being introduced led to me thinking "Holy shit, he is perfect!"

Those early years, back when book fans knew everything, were delightful. I worked a bar in Manhattan then, and over seasons 2 and 3, had a group of electricians who were terrific daytime regulars. Macho blue-collar types, the kind of guys who would push me around in high school for being a nerd. Whatever, great dudes all the same. They were some of that first wave of non-geeks who really took to the show. Every Monday they'd come in and argue about the characters. They'd ask me questions, knowing I was fully trusted to explain things without ever giving up any spoilers - despite their incessant attempts to dislodge bits of information out of me.

Hearing their theories was just like this forum and its early versions back when the books were being released. I will never forget them, the weeks before the Red Wedding, as I had to be studiously tight-lipped. The hurt and rage and shock coming off them as they came in on their lunch break that next Monday was incredible. And I felt exhilarated as they thanked me for managing to not spoil that for two damn years of them pestering me on "Wait so her mother is who?" and "So he's totally gonna be king right?!"

It's too bad the show has fallen into absolute utter shit, because it really did bring me a lot of joy. We can only hope that Martin stays hale and hearty and one fine day we get that "I have submitted my manuscript for A Dream of Summer" blog in, oh, 2030.

11 hours ago, Argonath Diver said:

Hearing their theories was just like this forum and its early versions back when the books were being released. I will never forget them, the weeks before the Red Wedding, as I had to be studiously tight-lipped. The hurt and rage and shock coming off them as they came in on their lunch break that next Monday was incredible. And I felt exhilarated as they thanked me for managing to not spoil that for two damn years of them pestering me on "Wait so her mother is who?" and "So he's totally gonna be king right?!"

Yes, the Red Wedding, so much fun! To know long in advance that it was coming, from reading the books. And I said nothing to my girlfriend.

Alas, she wasn't as surprised as I thought she would be, but she never is. It was fun nonetheless. I hadn't revealed anything.

8 hours ago, Euron III Greyjoy said:

I'll thank the show for introducing me to the books. 

Same. Thank you for the amazing first season which made me buy the books and dive into this incredible universe. Thank you GRRM for Daenerys Targaryen.
8 years of A Song of Ice and Fire for me.

13 minutes ago, Jarl Halstein said:

Yes, the Red Wedding, so much fun! To know long in advance that it was coming, from reading the books. And I said nothing to my girlfriend.

Alas, she wasn't as surprised as I thought she would be, but she never is. It was fun nonetheless. I hadn't revealed anything.

My wife did NOT take the red wedding scene well lol. I even prepared her for bad things without spoilers by saying, "remember when I threw the book I was reading across the room a few years back? Well the reason I did is happening in tonight's episode."

Archived