Anyone Going To Watch The Prequel Series

Skeletor

1 hour ago, Xemi said:

If the leaks are true, and it looks like they are, no, I'm done with ASOIAF after this. I'll go rewatch the LoTR trilogy to get this bad taste out of my mouth.

If the story of ASOIAF is even remotely 10% of what GoT is (and I am not speaking about side characters or how GRRM writes the path to that ending, but solely the conclusion), then this series is the biggest disapointment I have ever started to read. How can you fuck up your story like this? Yes, congratulations, you achieved to be different than other fantasy writers, but shiting on your story that you layed over five books, is not exactly something you would want to achieve and call it different than Tolkien. Thank  you, but in that case I'll stay with Tolkien. But, the books are not out yet, so I should not judge. Wait and see. 

I mean it's utterly inane they chose to adapt a Long Night story when they've turned the Others into utter jokes in GoT. 

I didn't have much interest in a Long Night adaptation to begin with, because it's so divorced from the familiarities of Planetos' worldbuilding it might as well have been set in a different world.

Now that we know what a meme the WW is in the future, my interest in this first prequel is virtually non-existent.

On 5/13/2019 at 11:24 PM, T and A said:

If the story of ASOIAF is even remotely 10% of what GoT is (and I am not speaking about side characters or how GRRM writes the path to that ending, but solely the conclusion), then this series is the biggest disapointment I have ever started to read. How can you fuck up your story like this? Yes, congratulations, you achieved to be different than other fantasy writers, but shiting on your story that you layed over five books, is not exactly something you would want to achieve and call it different than Tolkien. Thank  you, but in that case I'll stay with Tolkien. But, the books are not out yet, so I should not judge. Wait and see. 

Yes.
The show destroyed my love for GoT. I wasn't ready for such a bitter ending. Even though I had low expecations. Guess I'm too weak.

But if by miracle, that "Spring dream" book's ending is different, I might get back to the ASOIAF universe.

For now I need to find something to restore my faith in - something -

On 5/12/2019 at 1:06 PM, Werthead said:

Benioff & Weiss are not involved, Jane Goldman is a very competent writer, GRRM has apparently developed some new background/lore for this period of history and the rest of the cast is also excellent (particularly John Simm). So, sure, why not?

GRRM developed no such thing. It's all Jane Goldman apparently. She's using stuff from the World Book basically, and there's not much to go on there. Not even legends, aside from a few names and that they are regarded as founders of this and that region, built this or that. GRRM only has an advizory role.

On 5/13/2019 at 12:53 AM, divica said:

Grrm has written twoiaf so most of the background of the prequel probably comes from there and unpublished pages…

This, except there aren't unpublished pages. He has no more background story to the Aege of Heroes or the Long Night than what we already know. He has explained this in interviews about the prequel he would have dubbed "the long night", and how Jane Goldman wrote her thing based on the world book material, and he only operates in an advizory role. So she sends her stuff and he says, "hmm, that wouldn't work, this or that", and Jane Goldman is still at liberty to ignore his advice.

35 minutes ago, sweetsunray said:

This, except there aren't unpublished pages. He has no more background story to the Aege of Heroes or the Long Night than what we already know. He has explained this in interviews about the prequel he would have dubbed "the long night", and how Jane Goldman wrote her thing based on the world book material, and he only operates in an advizory role. So she sends her stuff and he says, "hmm, that wouldn't work, this or that", and Jane Goldman is still at liberty to ignore his advice.

Well hopefully she's not the smug know-it-all D&D were and actually listens to George's advice.

By the way, any speculation on what the title Bloodmoon may be referring to?  I couldn't find any references on the wiki to a blood moon, but I was wondering if others know more than me.

5 hours ago, bloodsteel bitterraven said:

Well hopefully she's not the smug know-it-all D&D were and actually listens to George's advice.

By the way, any speculation on what the title Bloodmoon may be referring to?  I couldn't find any references on the wiki to a blood moon, but I was wondering if others know more than me.

A bloodmoon is a lunar eclipse.

12 minutes ago, bloodsteel bitterraven said:

Yes, I know that.  I obviously meant in the ASOIAF universe.  No need to be sarcastic.

I actually wasn't sarcastic.* You posed an interesting question. But you are correct: no wiki references as to blood moon. And I can only answer with the real world meaning.

* Professional habbit: I teach physics to seniors in science grades. If they ask me a question, I answer :)

The Long Night prequel has me interested but tbh i'd actually rather they left that period well alone if they are not going to do it justice.

In the books the LN is a deeply mysterious event with hints of fallen kingdoms (Great Empire of the Dawn) in the Far East, cosmic interference by falling stars, dark magical worship and weird religions and cults, all mixed up with the Others plus the seasonal weirdness that we saw in the show.
I'd really hate it if all of that was laid bare with some rubbish plot like the frankly silly suggestion in the show that the Others were created as a weapon against man that got out of hand. That's way too cliched and fantasy rope for Planetos, it needs to be a mysterious story with legendary characters and civilisations unlike anything we already saw on screen.

So they are going through with the Long Night prequel and calling it Bloodmoon?

Seeing how anticlimactic the whole White Walkers thing was this is not going to be a big hit. At least not at first.

I'll wait to binge it once season 1 is finished

The Winds of Winter and A Dream of Spring cannot come out any sooner.

I'n skeptical of the Long Night prequel. The show pulled the rug out from under it. The GOT long night lasted an episode with 2 episodes of preparation. I'm pretty sure that Karl Tanner got more screen time then the Night King.

Given the info that I've seen on the proposed Valyrian prequel, I'll absolutely give it a try. It reminds me of HBO's Rome which is one of my favourite TV shows. I'll end up checking out both prequels and the other proposed one when they air. I'd like to see these prequels succeed so that we may get a reboot of GOT somewhere down the line.

Archived