Valonqars

ummester

According to Cerie's death prophecy - 'And when your tears have drowned you, the valonqar shall wrap his hands about your pale white throat and choke the life from you.'

If we take valonqar to mean little brother we currently have many converging on Cersie

Jamie - her little brother

Tyrion - Jamie's little brother

Euron - Balon's little brother

Sandor - Gregor's little brother

If we expand valonqar to mean sibling we also have

Dany - little sister to two older brothers

Arya - little sister to a whole pack of dead wolves

Are there any more? Does anyone think the valonqar prophecy will mean anything in show?

Jaime isn't really a little brother, they were twins. And more importantly;

''And when your tears have drowned you, the valonqar shall wrap his hands about your pale white throat and choke the life from you.''

Jaime has only one hand.

My guess is;

It's either Sandor, Tyrion or Euron.

But not sure how Tyrion will get close to Cersei, especially in a time of siege, even if there is a chance to assassinate, Tyrion isn't really a good choice to assassinate anyone.

I am guessing that Sandor and Arya will swap enemies during the siege, after realizing Sandor can't take down the Mountain (probably because Gregor is now a zombie) only Arya and her special dagger could take him down, and Arya will do it only if Sandor kills Cersei in her place.

Or Euron kills her for the Iron Throne, that's another guess.

But prophecy also mentions Cersei cries before she dies, since all of her children are dead, the only one thing that can make her cry is death of Jaime. Sandor or Euron kills Jaime first, then they chokes her to death.

14 minutes ago, Erkan12 said:

Jaime isn't really a little brother

It is mentioned, I believe more than once, that she was born first. Hence, little brother.

15 minutes ago, Erkan12 said:

Jaime has only one hand.

When somebody gets a prosthetic they still refer to it as theirs.

Just saying.

Just now, the Other Wolf said:

It is mentioned, I believe more than once, that she was born first. Hence, little brother.

When somebody gets a prosthetic they still refer to it as theirs.

Just saying.

They are twins, not once I remember she is calling Jaime a little brother.

Jaime can't choke anyone with a prosthetic hand.

Jaime isn't strangling Cersei with one hand. 

Tyrion's already strangled one woman to death, but I doubt he's going to get the chance to strangle another.

Sandor's got much bigger fish to fry.

I think we can discount Dany and Arya, at least if the prophecy matters, though they obviously both really want to kill Cersei.

Euron's the one my money's on. If Jaime is coming to save Cersei, I can see Euron killing her just to spite him.

19 minutes ago, Erkan12 said:

That's why it would have been a surprising twist to read if the books had come out at a faster pace without giving people time to comb over every single word.
Cersei sees Jaime almost as part of herself, while Tyrion is her wretched little brother, so it would be dramatic irony to have Jaime turn out to be the Valonqar.
In the books there's several passages that state that Cersei was the first born twin; Cersei herself says that she was born first and Jaime followed her, holding on to her foot as they were born (similar to the biblical Isaac holding on to Esau's heel) and at some other point somebody says that Cersei would like the more gender equal,  Dornish inheritance law, because under it, as Tywin's firstborn, she would have been his heir. 

So this, coupled with the frequent mentions of Golden Hands at various points makes an interpretation of Jaime as the Valonqar perfectly possible.

However, on the show they cut out the Valonqar part of the prophecy and cut out or ignored pretty much all other prophecies as well so...who knows what happens there...

Martin came up with the Valonquar prophecy, and in his world Euron still has Victarion and Aeron younger than him kicking around. I don't think it makes much sense for Maggy's prophecy to cover anyone in the world with an older sibling. Martin's no linguist, no was his Maggy, and I think it would be pretty ludicrous if Euron kills her and we can say "Ah, ah, ahh! He counts as a little brother to that one guy who got killed off in a plotline wholly irrelevant to the Lannisters!"

It just seems exceedingly tenuous at best. I agree that in general, the DnD boys have pissed all over any of the subtleties that Martin wrote in. I think the eventual killer of Cersei will probably be whomever Martin hashed out, though. Perhaps by this point, Martin himself has started tossing away all these prophecies as well. If it's going to be a twist other than Occam's Razor Tyrion, it'll either be Jaime (definitely would be hard to wrap a golden hand around her pale throat, but Martin did go out of his way to mention him being just younger than Cersei), or perhaps Sandor as an extreme long shot. 

I suppose I could squint and see it being Arya as she's smaller than Sansa, and sticklers could assure us that High Valyrian does not use gender nomenclature, but boy is that ever a stretch for Maggy to make (and through her, Martin, and then the DnD boys).

Totally crack, but "choke the the life out of you" could even refer to the baby -- not that attempted strangulation is an efficient method to cause miscarriage, but it is a trauma. Euron is the one who would hurt Cersei specifically because she lied about the baby being his.  

Anyway, regarding the book, I lean against the idea that THE Valonqar is just any little brother, and in the case that it ends up that the Valonqar is Jaime, I feel that the story needs to make it clear that he is not killing Cersei just as a scapegoat coz he's blaming her for all the bad deeds he did.

Are we talking books or show? Because the show didn't include the valonqar part of the prophecy, and as far as the books are concerned, I don't know why people keep discounting Victarion. :D My vote goes for him in the books, with Euron being at least partially responsible for her death in the show.

2 hours ago, Skeletor said:

Last checked only 4 dead wolves does not mean the whole pack is dead. Bran even though creepy now is alive there is Sans a Ary a and DragonWolf Jon. Jon in since is little brother to Robb stark just not by blood.

I thought that Jon was older than Robb; i.e., Jon was the oldest of the 'Stark siblings'.

Does he qualify as he youngest of Rhaegar's children?   I think that he does.  So Jon Aegon could be a Valonquar candidate.

1 hour ago, Anthony Pirtle said:

Jaime isn't strangling Cersei with one hand. 

Tyrion's already strangled one woman to death, but I doubt he's going to get the chance to strangle another.

Sandor's got much bigger fish to fry.

I think we can discount Dany and Arya, at least if the prophecy matters, though they obviously both really want to kill Cersei.

Euron's the one my money's on. If Jaime is coming to save Cersei, I can see Euron killing her just to spite him.

For the show, my money is on Euron also. 

Maybe Jamie kills Euron afterwards.  Or Yara or Arya.

Spoiler re. another potential candidate.  Read at your own risk.  And remember to put any comments re. it inside spoiler tags.

Spoiler

Way back when there were pics of Jon in KL with Cersei.  Cersei's Kingsguard/Queensguard were present.  Jon did not have Longclaw.  As I mentioned above, Jon (Aegon) is the youngest of Rhaegar's children.  So Jon may very well be the Valonquar.

22 minutes ago, Erkan12 said:

Robb is slightly older than Jon I guess, but ''little brother'' thing must be obvious I think, so Jon can't be.

Jon isn't Robb's little brother. He's Rhaenys and Aegon's little brother. Don't ask me why Rhaegar wanted two boys named Aegon. It's above my paygrade to understand.

8 hours ago, Erkan12 said:

Telling me they are twins does not help your argument.  You see I/we already knew that bit of information. 

Additionally, Cersei does need to call him little brother for it to be true.  He is younger and a younger brother is a little brother.

8 hours ago, Erkan12 said:

Jaime can't choke anyone with a prosthetic hand

Why not? It does not take much to choke someone out.

Archived