[Rant] So are D & D just playing damage control, or are they actually stupid?

Beardy the Wildling

Before watching this episode I was still motivated, improving my writing skills. 

But now I'm afraid to ever write deep shit like this. 

They aren't afraid of sounding dumb. And that is the greatest shame.

But why would they care anyway? They are worth 18 M$ each. 

While we cry here, they'd be slapping asses with hundreds of dollars bills. 

3 hours ago, Targaryen Peas said:

Before watching this episode I was still motivated, improving my writing skills. 

But now I'm afraid to ever write deep shit like this. 

They aren't afraid of sounding dumb. And that is the greatest shame.

But why would they care anyway? They are worth 18 M$ each. 

While we cry here, they'd be slapping asses with hundreds of dollars bills. 

Actually I think their careers stand to be substantially damaged by this backlash, given the window lickers that normally like the show are turning on them too. If I were Disney, I wouldn't want them near Star Wars.

13 hours ago, Nowy Tends said:

Because bells. It is known: you hear bells, you start burning children…

This quote is the highlight of this season for me so far.

I haven't watched this week's episode yet, but some of the acquaintances I have in real life and online that have been full-blown show lovers and always telling me to STFU about any logical complaint have come to warn me that this week was "disappointing."  For these people to say it, it must be truly epic level failure.  I'm almost looking forward to it now.  To watch the end of the end and hear people turning on the show that have loved every second of it thus far?  Priceless.

And the answer to the original question in the thread title?  Yes.  There can be no other answer.  Those inside the episode things are so filled with arrogance that I haven't been able to watch more than two of them, and the second one I stopped halfway through.  They literally believe they are god's gift to fictional screenplays.

I'm sure I'll be back after watching the episode tonight.

The ratings for GOT has never been higher before, so regardless if we dislike or like D&D writings, nothing will happen to them. HBO is more than satisfied with their vision for the show. 

Their Star Wars trilogy will happen unless their vision for the movies strays off from Disney's narrative. 

I pretty much thought they were morons for years. I only truly thought that both they and the whole team were daft when they forgot that you give up all claims when you take the Night's Watch vows. Its only when they started confusing Dany taking the throne by conquest with Jon's nonexistent better claim that I truly thought that they should never be let near another franchise. And this is leaving out the rampant character assassination, flash over substance, nonsensical narrative, etc.

On 5/13/2019 at 7:32 AM, Beardy the Wildling said:

Actually I think their careers stand to be substantially damaged by this backlash, given the window lickers that normally like the show are turning on them too. If I were Disney, I wouldn't want them near Star Wars.

Eh, slightly damaged.  The show is still a ratings and cultural juggernaut.  They will blame HBO or GRRM or some shit when they take meeting in future and people will be beating down their doors to throw millions at them.  With that said, I think, on their own, they are sophomoric, juvenile, lazy writers with little attention to detail, they expect and were rewarded until like 2 weeks ago, that spectacle will smooth over bad writing and poor stories.  Sooo, I expect their SW movies will be bad, self indulgent, and maybe just maybe not profitable and they will go back to running TV properties in the ground, but they can ride the GOT coattails for years, maybe even decades.

1 minute ago, Cas Stark said:

With that said, I think, on their own, they are sophomoric, juvenile, lazy writers with little attention to detail, they expect and were rewarded until like 2 weeks ago, that spectacle will smooth over bad writing and poor stories.  Sooo, I expect their SW movies will be bad, self indulgent, and maybe just maybe not profitable and they will go back to running TV properties in the ground, but they can ride the GOT coattails for years, maybe even decades.

You know, I hadn't even thought of the word sophomoric for their style of writing, but that's exactly it. Full of teenage edge and sex obsession. All the good guys are dumb bros and all the women are catty and incomprehensible. These idiots never grew up.

14 hours ago, Beardy the Wildling said:

You know, I hadn't even thought of the word sophomoric for their style of writing, but that's exactly it. Full of teenage edge and sex obsession. All the good guys are dumb bros and all the women are catty and incomprehensible. These idiots never grew up.

But, but, they went to school for writing.  They're real writers.  George is just an historian with a pen.

In all seriousness, they really, truly, honestly believe their juvenile putrid bullshit is super special.  They and Michael Bay should make hellish movies together and leave real stories alone.

She wanted the carnage. She expected no surrender. When it happened, she decided "fuck you KL".

BTW, we had crap for years. Nothing is worse than Dorne, than an express rescue mission, than a javelin champion thrower shooting a dragon in flight, when he has another dragon on the ground before him, with all the main characters on board. What is different now?

They actually talentless and stupid.

I mean, just think of them actually filming a sex scene that was not supposed to a rape scene but looked like one. You have to be monstrously incompetent to do a thing like that.

27 minutes ago, BalerionTheCat said:

What is different now?

The writing has been a train wreck since season 5 so in that sense nothing is different now. The issues many fans and critics are complaining about now were the same since season 5 especially. The difference is the hope that many fans had that somehow things might still come together has started to fade along with the handwaving and honeypotting. The excuses have run out. Before this season even the critics, by and large, were still fawning over the show when in fact the criticism the show is coming under now should have been done three seasons ago - maybe if that had happened we could have ended with something better but D&D's shitty writing was being universally validated. 

2 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

They actually talentless and stupid.

I mean, just think of them actually filming a sex scene that was not supposed to a rape scene but looked like one. You have to be monstrously incompetent to do a thing like that.

Well, that is on everyone involved, the writers, the director, and the actors.  Something has gone terribly wrong if everyone involved thinks they are portraying toxic but consensual sex and the majority of viewers are seeing a rape, and this again, went all the way through production and post production and apparently no one ever raised an alarm that hey, this looks like a rape, we need to reshoot or recut it.

57 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

Well, that is on everyone involved, the writers, the director, and the actors.  Something has gone terribly wrong if everyone involved thinks they are portraying toxic but consensual sex and the majority of viewers are seeing a rape, and this again, went all the way through production and post production and apparently no one ever raised an alarm that hey, this looks like a rape, we need to reshoot or recut it.

Oh, yeah, this certainly also reflects rather badly on all the people involved in the process, at least on a decision-making level, but from what we seem to know about the production process the two guys really, really like to micromanage everything, so the fact that nobody realized how that looked is telling in itself...

I mean, this clearly shows that they don't really don't understand how cinematography and directing work. That there is a difference between what's in the script (or your head) and how things look at set and how they end up looking on film.

2 hours ago, Consigliere said:

The writing has been a train wreck since season 5 so in that sense nothing is different now. The issues many fans and critics are complaining about now were the same since season 5 especially. The difference is the hope that many fans had that somehow things might still come together has started to fade along with the handwaving and honeypotting. The excuses have run out. Before this season even the critics, by and large, were still fawning over the show when in fact the criticism the show is coming under now should have been done three seasons ago - maybe if that had happened we could have ended with something better but D&D's shitty writing was being universally validated. 

So, if I understand, the show was bad for some time. I would say since they had no book to follow. And we had no book to understand WTF is happening. But fans wanted to believe it would improve by the end? Because GRRM intended ending would have everyone happy? Even if the characters had not been properly constructed and were misunderstood? If the food is spoiled, it can't improve after that.

Archived